Ambree's Parents

Ambree's Parents

A Chapter by Star Catcher
"

This is joint-written.

"

"Damn," Ambree muttered as they exited the Nexus into an extravagent part of Brangol, Hygeia's capital. "We're on the wrong side of the city - at least, I think. I remember buying them a small house somewhere over there," she said, pointing west. "And one confusing phone conversation." She hung her head. "I haven't even visited them since Antel raised them."

"Well, let's get to gettin'." Glide said. "Maybe we'll catch a break and find something demon-y on the way there, stop this whole f****n' thing before it gets started."

Ambree nodded. "I'll lead. Stop me if you notice something." She set off in the direction of her parents' home.

Glide nodded, following Ambree, piggybacking Icarcti.

Micah glanced at Niqi. "That the same little bat you told me about?"

Niqi nodded. "Glide adores him," she told Micah quietly. "But things are...complicated."

"He looks kinda... young." Micah murmured.

Niqi shrugged. "I never asked Glide Icarcti's age. But yeah, he does."

Micah went silent, keeping pace with Niqi. After a few moments, he nudged her. "You smell that? It smells kinda like hellfire..."

Niqi stopped, and then nodded. "Guys, quit walkin'. Think we got something here," she announded.

Glide stopped walking, letting Icarcti down. "I can smell it."

"Me, too." Icarcti said.

"It's coming from..." Glide trailed off, his eyes widening. He picked Icarcti back up and darted off. "This way! It's coming from the west side of the city!"

"S**t!" Ambree yelled, beginning to sprint towards her parents' house. The others kept pace.

 

...

 

When the house was in view, a narrow stone building topped with an anti-shatter glass dome, Ambree pushed herself faster, finally flinging the door open when she reached it. Thunder rumbled in the distance, an early warning of a rare, violent Hygeia storm; most rain there was peaceful. “Mom! Dad!” she yelled, running through the house.

“Ambree?” Ambree’s mother answered from the first-floor living room. She got up and met Ambree by the stairs. “Ambree!” she shouted, and then flung her arms around her daughter, already sobbing.

Her father came down the stairs; he was on crutches, trying hard not to fall in his rush.

“Dad? What happened?” Ambree asked. “No, don’t answer – doesn’t matter. I mean, it matters, but – nevermind!” She pulled herself away from her mother, addressing both of them now. “You’ve got to get out of here. I should know by now that I’m horrible at picking destinations. After this, pick your own planet to settle on, don’t listen to any advice I give you. But right now, you need to leave.”

Ambree’s father didn’t say anything; he just held his arms out for a hug. Ambree obliged, then quickly pulled away again. “There are demons coming,” she stated. “Come on.” She threw the front door open again, and yelled towards Raven’s Nest. “Go on without me! I’ll be back soon!”

“My, you’ve made so many…friends, Ambree,” Ambree’s mother choked. Her eyes were wide with disbelief as she stared at the mass of non-humans.

Ambree didn’t bother replying, slamming the door; the frosted glass on it cracked a little, but she ignored that, too. She used her key, opening the door to the Nexus. “Come on,” she said, gesturing for her parents to go first.

Ambree’s father smiled. “I wouldn’t believe you if I didn’t know at least a little about the crazy life you lead. It’s good to see you again.” He looked at her with adoration before he entered the Nexus.

Ambree’s mother had gone back to sobbing. She kissed Ambree on the forehead, then went in after her father.

Ambree stood for a moment, looking out the window at Raven’s Nest and wondering if she should just close the door. She clenched the knob tighter, and then followed her parents.



© 2009 Star Catcher


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

241 Views
Added on September 7, 2009
Last Updated on September 9, 2009


Author

Star Catcher
Star Catcher

CT



About
I write. I enjoy it. I have so many ideas just waiting to be formed and organized. Some day, you will see a book with my name on it. more..

Writing
The New Girl The New Girl

A Chapter by Star Catcher