Chapter 4: Our First Hunt

Chapter 4: Our First Hunt

A Chapter by TJ Worthen
"

Rhys and the guild finally go on a hunt to kill a rogue demon.

"

"Already?" I say, shocked that we're already doing this. I mean, I'm surely ready to professionally hunt Demons, but on my first day with the guild? I kinda expected that we'd be doing some discussion stuff or research, but not a hunt. Aren't there rules for this?

"Yes, already." Azura told me, with a smile on her face. "Your test results have shown you are an advanced fighter, so we believe that you are ready for a hunt. You said you have trained, right?"

"I mean yeah," I say, speaking my mind "but aren't there rules that say a new recruit can't hunt on their first day or something?"

"Not really." Azura said, nonchalantly. "You've shown us that you're ready for this lifestyle. Not everyone has the skills you presented us, and I believe you can lead us to victory." And just like that, I have expectations on me. Crap.

"So where's our target?" Joan said, wanting to get this hunt over with.

"Up north, in some abandoned temples." She said, her voice indicating she's back to business. "Our target was a guild member who got cursed after being in cahoots with some demons. The guild wants someone to take her out. And that's what we're doing tonight." And with that, she stood up and made a signal that told us to suit up. "We head out in five minutes." She reminded us. I was already ready, so I stood by the door with her, waiting on the others. When they got ready, we headed out.

It took us an hour, but we finally reached these temples. It looked like this place was once some sort of religious ground, which would explain the chapel-like designs of these buildings. You can tell the age of these buildings by the height of the vines on these buildings. The worn out bricks can also tip you on how old this place is. All in all, a good place for a rogue demon to hide away at.

When we get here, Azura has us split into groups. There are three different entrances to the main temple, so she wants three groups. She and Gilda will take the North entrance, the Alistar brothers will take the South East, and Rel and I will have the South West entrance. With that set, we headed towards our respective entrances. Rel and I were pretty quiet, but I couldn't stay silent forever when my curiosity towards Rel giving me stank eyes took the best of me.

"Why are you so angry at me?" I asked with a whisper.

"She may trust you," she led, "but I still don't."

"Why? Do I look like that much of a threat to you?" I asked her, which caused her to be pretty silent for a while.

"I don't know, anymore.." she replied.

"What are you talking about?" I asked, but she stood there silent for about a minute. After that she finally answered.

"It's a long story. Before you came here, there was another new member. His name was William Cross. He had a gentleman-like persona to him. And, like Gilda, he was a swordsman. He was a prominent member of our guild. But one day, his true colors showed. His family was always a greedy family. And he was somewhat manipulative. But on a mission in a museum, he came across it: The Mask of Azrael. It promised power, a power he and his blood relatives sought after. So he wore it. And with that, William died that day, and Azrael was reborn. We fought him, but I couldn't bear to go up against a man I trusted. A man I had feelings for. But William was killed, not by Azura, not by Gilda, but by him: The Ronin. William should have died, but not by his hands. Not by his hands."

After that, things were silent. A painful silence for her, and a reflective silence for me.

"I understand." I said "I know what it's like. To see someone turn into a being they try to hide. I know it too well.."

"How so?" She asked, curiously but with her attitude. I pondered if I should tell her my secret. After a few seconds, I felt it be necessary.

"I-" I said, but I was immediately cut off by the sound of a demonic screeching and someone getting thrown into a wall.

"Hold that thought.." she said. And I did hold onto it, because now was showtime.

We reached the main room, and we saw the action had already begun. Azura was firing bolts of black lightning at the demon, Gilda was backing away from the demon swinging at her with its... leg... arm... thingy, Vaughn was punching at another limb coming towards him, and Joan was cleaning rubble off his back. The demon itself was a horrible thing to look at. It was a human/spider hybrid, and a hideous one at that. The arms were replaced with lobster like claws, and the body looked like it was burned. All in all: repulsive.

"Rhys, shoot at it!" Azura ordered at me. "Rel, you use magic!" We both nodded and began disposing bullets and lighting at the demon. None of those things did anything.

"It's not doing anything!" I say, the demon looking at us and about to charge at us. That is, until Joan came at it and sucker punched the demon away.

"Y'know, we should all ditch our weapons and just punch the demon." I say jokingly, and Joan laughed at it. Hey, I was funny! But I had to be serious when the demon got back up.

"Try punching it with your sword." Joan suggested, part-serious and part-humorous. But that wasn't a bad idea. I pull out my sword and take a big slash at its legs. It lets out another screech.

"I meant actually punch it with your sword." Joan said, disappointed. "But that also works."

The demon got up, about to give it another go, but Azura and Rel grabbed the arms with lightning-made restraints. Joan and Vaughn went and grabbed some legs. The demon was restrained, and it was time to finish it.

"Gilda, go for the head! Rhys, you have the torso!" Azura yelled. I looked over at Gilda who was behind the demon and nodded. Together, we both ran towards the demon and cut off the parts we were told to cut off. With them cut off, the demon collapsed and burned to ashes. We all stood there, victorious.

"Good job, guild." Azura said, out of breath. And on that note, we all began to leave back to base. While walking back, Rel pulled me aside.

"So, what were you going to say?" Rel asked, referring to our earlier conversation. I now wasn't in the mood to tell her, but I didn't want to leave her in the dark either.

"Did you ever hear about the Massacre of Moonstar City?" I asked her.

"No. Why?"

"Let's just say things were.. messy.." I told her. She let it sink in, and walked ahead, thinking about what I could have meant. She probably had it in her head when we got to base, where we all had a few discussions before heading back to our homes. I won't tell her yet, but when she finds out, she's probably going to keep her distance from me.



© 2018 TJ Worthen


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

114 Views
Added on January 4, 2018
Last Updated on January 4, 2018
Tags: hell, demon, half devil, cambion, hunter


Author

TJ Worthen
TJ Worthen

Yuma, AZ



About
Just a young adult who wants to write his passion project and get feedback on. more..

Writing