Chapter 6: Butting Heads

Chapter 6: Butting Heads

A Chapter by TJ Worthen
"

After a hunt goes awry, Azura and Rhys get in a heated arguement.

"
The hunt was supposed to be an easy hunt. This hunt was supposed to be a simple "find the demon then slay the demon" type hunt. This was supposed to take, at the bare minimum, fifteen minutes to complete. But for some reason, I had to take the shot on the demon. And when I missed, I got it's attention. And that is why I am currently running into the woods, five minutes past the expected goal for this mission. Hurray me..

The demon is right on my tail. I hear his growls, and all they do is make me run faster. He's too close to me, preventing me from spinning back and shooting him. I know that at the end of these woods there's a cliff, and I'm hoping to get rid of him there. Otherwise, I'll end up being demon-dog chow.

I see the cliff coming up a couple yards ahead of me. But as I get closer to the cliff, I ask myself: how am I going to avoid the demon here? Are there branches or ledges I can grab onto? I pray that there are branches as I approach the cliff. I hear the demon leap up, probably towards me, and that prompts me to slide down, causing the demon to go over me and over the cliff and down below. As I slide over the cliff, I see branches and I try to reach for them, but they're too far from my grasp, and now I'm falling. Seeing the demon down below, I set myself where I could land on him. I also grab my sword, just in case it's still alive. I come crashing down and I land on the demon, cushioning my fall and piercing the demon. After I catch my breath, I get down and walk back to the guild.

As my mind tries to grasp the craziness of what just happened, I'm also worried. Looking back at the events leading to my chase, I feel like that this could have been avoided. I feel like I was an idiot to take that stupid shot. I feel... guilty. Hopefully, the guild takes this with a pinch of salt. I mean, I did kill the demon in the end, so it shouldn't be that bad. As I walk into the guild meeting room, the only person there is Azura, and she looks pissed. Oh well, so much for that plan..

"What were you thinking back there?" She asked, furious at me.

"Look, I know you're mad at me, and I understand." I say, trying to come up clean. "And I'm sorry for attempting that stupid shot."

"You think you're such a hot shot, huh?" She asked, not letting down in her anger. "You think you're better than us?"

"I never said that I was better!" I said, starting to get angry. "I just wanted to-"

"What? Do all the heavy hitting? Be the leader of all this?"

"I'm not trying to be the leader!" I shout, now as angry as her. "And now that I think about it, I am better than you! But that doesn't mean-"

"Oh so you admit it, huh? Why don't you lead this team then, with your almight-"

"IM NOT TRYING TO BE THE LEADER!" I shout, and at this point, my eyes burn in red and I also noticed that we were like an old married couple back there. Weird.

I charge at her, no longer in control, and tackle her to the ground. She kicks me off and sends me flying across the room. Once I get up, she summons a fire whip and wraps it around my neck. It feels right, like she really wants me dead. I feel the rage coming. I feel Him coming..

I grab her whip and yank it towards me, sending her stumbling my way. I grab her neck and lift her up. I turn and throw her at a bookshelf, causing it to break and send books falling on top of her. I lift her up and pin her up against the wall. She looks in my eyes and is afraid. She sees the red that plagues my eyes, but she doesn't know that I'm not in control, He is. I fight within my own mind, and I finally regain control. I let go of her as I collapse and hold onto my head as if I had a headache.

"I'm sorry.." I say, feeling dizzy from that small encounter. "I lost control. I-I didn't mean to.."

"No, it's ok." She said, looking away, ashamed. But was she ashamed at herself or me? "I was just mad at you. I prompted you to break out. I should be sorry here."

"Well, can't we both be sorry?" I suggest. She looks at me, and she smiles a little.

"Sure." She says happily. "But never pull a stunt like that in a mission again. Got that?"

"Agreed." I say, and we shook hands on the matter. And as I walked back to my apartment, I couldn't help but think about what happened. He also got out. He could've seriously hurt her. Or worse, killed her. I need help in controlling him, for I'm afraid the next time he arrived, blood will be spilled.


© 2018 TJ Worthen


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

139 Views
Added on January 4, 2018
Last Updated on January 4, 2018
Tags: hell, demon, half devil, cambion, hunter


Author

TJ Worthen
TJ Worthen

Yuma, AZ



About
Just a young adult who wants to write his passion project and get feedback on. more..

Writing