Words As Weapons

Words As Weapons

A Poem by Tania Leigh

Have you not a clue of
the magnitude of the
words you’ve just spoken
to me?
 
Don’t you know of the
devastating effect your
words have carelessly
inflicted on me?
 
You’re careful in other
aspects of your life, but
what about me? I am
your wife!
 
Can’t you for once just
pretend to believe and
grant my feelings a much
needed reprieve?
 
Not a thing hurts me more
than to know you don’t
care, so my dreams I have
chosen to cease to share.
 
And I’ll leave you with a
bit of advice: before you
speak to someone, always
think twice…
 
For words as weapons can hurt
more, you see, than any pain
you could cause someone physically.


© 2008 Tania Leigh


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Words can hurt for along time.
Good write and well expressed

Posted 16 Years Ago


7 of 7 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

Well that was an excellent piece of anger management. Knowing the info above and the content of the poem - as well as its calm even feel, one might almost say it is almost passive aggressive?

The last verse finish up is excellent - absolute showmanship (woman) and artistic flourish and beauty beyond the need or duty putting the point home. That ease of grace always shows someone working in the beauty of their true heart and passion. Maybe I'm slipping into my cavalier swordfighting language again, but I've just read about ten other poems by other people before coming back to yours (and not thought of fencing at all!). There is something of the grace and cunning of a swordfighter in the way you write - hence me using the metaphor again.



Posted 16 Years Ago


2 of 3 people found this review constructive.

Wonderful and to-the-point message. I am guilty of not always thinking before I speak because I take so much and then like a teapot, I sound off. Words spoken in the heat of the moment are as painful as a double-edged sword and in many cases linger longer than physical abuse. Thanks for the great write and for reminding me to think twice before speaking. ...TD :)

Posted 16 Years Ago


2 of 3 people found this review constructive.

This is wonderful as in it speaks for me and many others too i bet..
I don't understand why some men speak to their wives and girlfriends as if they
( the women) have no feelings and the words are supposed to bounce off ..
I like every line of this .. good poem.

Chloe
xoxo

Posted 16 Years Ago


2 of 3 people found this review constructive.

words can cut deeper than a knife and scar the soul instead of the body. so great that you took the time to sit and pour your soul out in writing...bringing some calm to your storm instead of letting loose with the thunder and lightening. in anger it is so easy to speak before letting the brain kick in...excellent write here.

laura

Posted 16 Years Ago


2 of 3 people found this review constructive.

Scars of the heart and mind......a subject so many of us know well......through out time we look over the scars that are left on our outside....scars in the flesh or even scars inside being bone, muscle or organs.....but, the scars that stay with us each and everyday of our lives are the scars from the words others have inflicted on us......especially when it comes from our loved ones......memories of things from our past always haunt us no matter if they are not at hand at the time......deep down inside we still feel the hurt and the scars that ohters have left on our hearts......I know because I deal with it every day......the hard whippings I took as a kid weren't as bad as hearing over and over again how I would never be anything in my life or that I was a mistake.......pawned off on other family members so that my mom wouldn't have to deal with me........so I know where you are coming from on this piece of work.......

Posted 16 Years Ago


3 of 3 people found this review constructive.

i have been here and can understand where your coming from....great write! :)

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

It's always hard when your thoughts and dreams are dismissed out of hand by somebody you love. I find that what you've done by writing instead of fighting (wee I rhymed, a poet and didn't know it...wait a tic, somebody told me I wrote poetry...shut up you) is always a great way to vent. It's alot better than sleeping on the couch in any case. Hope I cheered ye up a little. Drop me a line.

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I like it. And I can relate to it, not the wife part, but to the rest. LoL. =D

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Words can hurt and leave the deepest wounds but I agree with Zoe the only way to get past them not believing in you or caring about your dreams is to prove them wrong. Great way of expressing yourself : )

Brette

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

It does hurt when people don't believe in you, or support your dreams. I am very lucky to have found a husband who is very supportive. However, some people never are, and the only way to deal with them is to prove them wrong. :)

You wrote the poem very well, and probably more constructively than simply losing your temper.

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

1361 Views
70 Reviews
Rating
Added on March 11, 2008

Author

Tania Leigh
Tania Leigh

NH



About
4/7/08 When my "Phobia" contest is completed April 18th, and winners have been chosen and notified, I'll be leaving the cafe indefinitely to focus on my family, as well as my first book and website. .. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..