Chapter 1

Chapter 1

A Chapter by Kiara

It all started the day I walked into my sweet little sister’s bedroom.  Not bothering to knock, I just turned around the corner.  “Hey Sophie, mom says dinner’s ready.”  Then I glanced up.  My little Sophie had a gun in her mouth.  She stared straight at me with tears in her eyes before pulling the trigger.  I screamed.  I cried.  I threw things.  My little Sophie had just killed herself….

My mother just gazed at the wall blankly while I ran out the door.  I sprinted to the middle of the road, cars whirring past me.  If Sophie couldn’t live, I didn’t deserve to either.  The cars just honked their horns and swerved around me.  Why wouldn’t they hit me?  Did they have no sympathy for me?  Did they not want me to die with my only sister?  I just wanted relief from this pain in my chest.  I had thought a boy could break your heart, but it couldn’t even compare to the helplessness of watching your own sister murder herself.

Being lost in thought and blinded by tears, I didn’t notice the car pulling to a stop beside me.  “Are you okay, Sweetie?”  The voice snapped me out of my trance.  A man’s face watched me through the open car window.

“No!!” I screamed, sobbing loudly and careless of how I looked.  “My Sophie, my Sophie!  She’s gone!  I’ll never see her again and it’s all my fault!  I didn’t stop her and I could have!  She’s gone!”

Suddenly, I felt the ground slip away from my feet as a strong pair of arms lifted me up.  “Is this your house?”  I glanced up at my driveway, at my door, at the window, at the walls.  Behind the cozy outside of the house, there was a terror no one should ever behold.  I saw what happened, and it would not stop playing in my mind.  I just wanted it gone; I wanted my Sophie back.

“Yeah” I sobbed after the long silence.  The tears hadn’t stopped rolling down my face and I was vaguely aware of my voice begging for Sophie.  I also pleaded for death.  I wanted anything but to go back inside where reality would strike me again.  I couldn’t stand to see her, or what was left of her.  I couldn’t take that kind of pain.The man ignored my cries and carried me straight through the front door.  My sister’s room lay just down the hall and to the right.  I could almost taste her blood in my mouth.  I could feel the bullet as if it had struck me and not her.  I could feel it blasting through my chest; I could feel it leaving a giant hole in my heart.

“Where is your Sophie, Honey?”  The caring voice of the man asked.  I stared in disbelief, in utter shock.  How could he ask such a thing?  Did he want to see her; lifeless and blood-soaked on her innocent white carpet in her innocent white dress?  She wasn’t coming back to me, and I didn’t see why this stupid boy couldn’t see that.  He didn’t seem to be a boy or man, for he was older and handsome, but terribly stupid.  He didn’t even understand the word dead!

Without waiting for my reply, he set me down and held my hand as if I were some child.  His grip was firm but gentle, offering comfort and strength.  “By the way, my name is Lucas.  What’s your name?”

“Kairi but I don’t want to go in there.  Please don’t make me go in there.”  My voice was shaky and full of tears and melancholy, but with a frighteningly calm sense to it.

“You don’t have to go in there, Kairi.  And you don’t have to be afraid.  I’ll protect you from all the bad things.  Is there a phone I could use?  I left mine in my car.”  His words were sweet, calming as they caressed his lips.  I nodded and pulled out my cell phone, handing it to him with a violently trembling hand.  He took it and dialed three digits.  I was too panicked to know it was 911.

He never let go of my hand as he spoke with the police.  Mom never came out of the kitchen, where our dinner lay cold and forgotten.  I never stopped crying for my baby sister.  My Sophie never came back to say it was all a dream and everything was okay.



© 2012 Kiara


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

This is so sad and no one should go through this.

Posted 12 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

140 Views
1 Review
Added on February 7, 2012
Last Updated on February 7, 2012


Author

Kiara
Kiara

IN



About
My name is Taylor Bigelow, I am eighteen and I absolutely love my boyfriend, my cats, music, writing, and playing my trumpet. Some of the bands I listen to are: Pierce the Veil, Sleeping with Sir.. more..

Writing
Failing Failing

A Poem by Kiara