Chapter One: Liam

Chapter One: Liam

A Chapter by ThatPeculiarGirl :3

A crisp breeze shuffled burnt orange leaves past my feet. I managed to crush several as we walked home. The sun peered at us from behind a pair of Oak trees that had barely begun to shed. Its warmth made the wind bearable. We neared the chipped maple door, stepping onto the porch scattered with deserted cobwebs. The old door creaked achingly, and then clicked softly behind me. Without a word, Jess proceeded over to her beloved record player, haphazardly dropping her bag along the way. Almost instantly music filled the house; the bass vibrated my ear, the beat pulsated through my veins. This is how we spent most of our evenings after school. After we walked to her house, Jess would grab a bag of Dorito’s and we would blast her amazing collection of classic rock records. Our parents worked the routine, nine-to-five, office hours. I didn’t mind though. Being alone with her for two hours every day, how could I complain?  We had been friends since elementary school, third grade to be exact. My mom and I had just moved to town and I was supposed to walk home after my first day of school. As the final bell rang, and excited squeals of children anxious to get home and watch public television filled the air, I nervously stepped onto the sidewalk. I looked to my left, Benson Street. I looked to my right, King Street. My heart pounded, I couldn’t remember which street was mine. Panic set into my childish mind, and I began to whimper. Before the tears forming in my eyes could fall, I felt a tug on my sleeve.

“It’s Benson.” The girl giggled.

“What?” I sniffled.

She didn’t answer. I watched for a few seconds as she began to make her way down Benson.

“Are you coming or not?” she swiveled on her heels and asked impatiently.

Immediately, I shuffled towards her. Her frown quickly turned into a peppy smile, making the constellations of freckles on her cheeks rearrange. She locked her arm around mine, causing me to blush.

“You just moved in next door, I saw your truck yesterday,” she began, “I saw your mommy too.”

Still shocked that a pretty girl had my arm, I could only bring myself to smile at her statement. However, it quickly faded along with her next question.

“I didn’t see your daddy,” she exclaimed, “Where is he?”

“Mom says that daddy is in Heaven now...” my voice faltered

A deafening silence passed between us. The seconds ticked away. He died abruptly about a year before we moved. People didn’t talk much about my father around me, only mom would. She would tell me stories about him, and tell me how wonderful he was. She never wanted me to forget him, and I was never going too.

 “I’m Jess.” She said suddenly, breaking the awkward silence, and released my arm. She extended her hand like adults did.

“I’m Liam.” I whispered shaking her tiny hand. Unfamiliar warmth spread through my body. A friend, I thought. I have made a best friend.

She smiled, craning her neck back to look at her house. I as so mesmerized by her, I didn’t see we had reached our houses. She skipped to her door, stopping halfway to look back at me.

“I think we should walk to school together. That way you can’t get lost. I don’t like seeing people cry you know.”

“I wasn’t crying!” I snapped. She giggled and skipped to her door.

“Until we meet again, Liam.” She called out before disappearing behind the maple colored door.

 

“You’re spacing out again!” Jess hollered, starling me from my reminiscing.

“Sorry.” I blushed.

“You didn’t even hear my good news! I ran down to the music shop during lunch and picked up a new record,” She cooed, removing the record from her bag, “it’s the Talking Heads-“

“Fear of Music!?” I bounced over to her.

“Well after you showed me “Heaven”, I just couldn't resist.”

The record began playing, and sweet crackles mingled with the heavy rhythm. Jess closed her eyes, beaming, and tapping along with the beat. I watched as she swayed to the misunderstood lyrics. Her long brown hair caressed her shoulders, and her hands drummed on her, slender hips. She removed her sweater exposing part of her toned stomach, reviling her tan skin. I traced her every curve with my eyes, my heart pounded. She stepped over too me, grabbing my hand and pulling me from my seat. We swayed in harmony, and I clutched her arm, feeling her soft as silk skin. She looked up at me, her grey eyes peering into mine. As she laid her head back onto my chest, the scent of coco and vanilla filled my lungs. I held her tighter, and relished in the moment. I couldn't help but smile at her beauty. Alas, as all things must, the song came to an end. I looked at the clock. 4:50. Time flies when you are happy, and when I’m with Jess, happiness is an understatement.

“I should be getting home; mom won’t like it if I get dinner started late.” I embraced her once more before heading to the door.

She opened the door, and playfully pushed me out. “You sure you won’t get lost?” she snickered.

“Ha, very funny, you’re never going to let me live that down are you?”

“Do you even have to ask?” she grinned.

“Great.” I muttered.

“Until we meet again, Liam.” The maple door clicked behind her.



© 2013 ThatPeculiarGirl :3


Author's Note

ThatPeculiarGirl :3
Introduction to the two teenagers. :)

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

111 Views
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on November 10, 2013
Last Updated on November 10, 2013


Author

ThatPeculiarGirl :3
ThatPeculiarGirl :3

About
Greetings my fellow writers! My favorite pat time is reading, writing, and playing the piano. I am a peculiar adolescent, and I embrace being different. In fact, it's what helps my writing blossom. I .. more..

Writing