Fateless-Chapter 2

Fateless-Chapter 2

A Chapter by The Dudeman (Kenneth T)
"

You don't have to follow your destiny. Even though there's no telling what will happen instead, your destiny is not your fate.

"
The teenager sat with his legs crossed, unfazed by the fact that he surely should be falling to his death. He sat suspended on the empty air above the city, with its skyscrapers and their spires threatening to impale him if he fell. A strong wind blew, but it did nothing to move him from his place; it did not even blow at his black cloak or his hood. It was as if he did not exist at all.
Another cloaked figure materialized in the space next to him and sat down to join him. The two spent a minute staring into the night sky and the city lights.
"Rough day?" the newcomer asked in a clearly feminine voice.
"I killed that boy. At first it seemed like the right thing to do, but now I wonder if it will change anything."
The female sighed. "I remember when I had those thoughts. The only thing to do is to just keep hope and push on through. Keep making the world better."
"But are we making the world better?" he asked, frustrated.
"I know it seems hopeless; the world never seems to change, but we have to do all we can, even if it's just little things; even if it's just one person at a time."
"But are we making the world better, or worse? Do the ends justify our means? Could we change people without killing others?"
It was a long time before she spoke, "You will have to find your own answers for that."
Answers. He had no answers. He knew next to nothing about himself, or about the world. He had no name, neither did the person sitting next to him. He had no knowledge of who or what he was, all he knew was that he was supposed to make the world better. He paid no attention to time or years, and had no idea how old he was. While humans grew old and died, he looked exactly as he did when he was created.
He wished he could be human, even if it meant that he would die. Being...whatever he was now, there was no joy, and felt regret for almost everything he did.
"Hey," he asked her, "have you ever thought about what it would be like... if we didn't have to kill people? If we didn't have to do anything?"
"I used to, but now I have realized my destiny. I have to make peoples' hearts better any way possible, even if I hate it."
"You don't have to follow your destiny. Even though there's no telling what will happen instead, your destiny is not your fate." he said in an almost pleading tone.
She was silent.
"It's just that... I don't know if I'm the right person for this." he admitted.
"Why? Did something happen?" she asked.
He was afraid to admit it. "I cried today, after I killed that boy."
She swore. "You know that's not allowed!"
"I do know, but... I just couldn't help it."
He looked away from her in shame. Death itself had no emotion, so as death's agents, they should show none too.


© 2010 The Dudeman (Kenneth T)


Author's Note

The Dudeman (Kenneth T)
Confusing? I know it's hard because they have no names and even they don't know much about their selves.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

death? this is really amazing....i like how its going so far, strange how a name can mean so much

Posted 13 Years Ago


wow, the conversation between the two was interesting! Its not too confusing, you do make sure the reader knows who is who, though I find it interesting that Angels of death, so to speak, dont enjoy their "job" But, then again, who would enjoy killing people? Even for the better?
Alright im getting off here, this was another well put togeather piece, I shall continue on!-

Harmony

Posted 13 Years Ago


I think them having no names makes it better. More.......mysterious, gripping, exciting. Pick one. I don't know why, but when I read " death's agents", it was amusing to me somehow. I like how you changed the point of view. It's refreshing.

Posted 13 Years Ago


this whole story is really good. it is like a mystery in the making. I'm excited to see what happens next.

Posted 13 Years Ago


I like this chapter. The conversation was amazing. Having no names add to the mystery of the story. Sent me read request. I look forward to what you are planning with the story. A very strong chapter.
Coyote

Posted 13 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

321 Views
5 Reviews
Rating
Added on July 7, 2010
Last Updated on November 16, 2010
Tags: fantasy, teen, angels, death


Author

The Dudeman (Kenneth T)
The Dudeman (Kenneth T)

E'ville, WI



About
Hey guys, I'm Kenneth. I'm 18 years old and I'm the most conflicted person you'll ever meet. Different people know me as a nerd, an emo, a bad a*s, a pervert, and a hopeless romantic. I have jumped o.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Get Moving! Get Moving!

A Poem by Manda