Chapter One

Chapter One

A Chapter by TheGreatAndPowerful

Chapter One
It was a typical cold night in Ely. The winds blew through the trees and shook road signs just enough to creak. A small girl walked up and down the sidewalk shaking a bag of cat food, shivering as she called out the name Avon over and over. Behind her, back a few houses in the darkness was her home. The doorway wide open to show her father, keeping an eye on her as she searched for her pet.
“Ozzy, come back inside I am sure he will be back in the morning” he called out. She turned her head, obediently approached her father and sniffled, “I can’t believe he is gone." Ozzy was a young girl, who now in the light showed she had bright auburn hair and freckled cheeks. Her eyes as green as baked grass but sad, and glossy with tears over her lost pet.
Her father Micheal embraced her on one knee and patted her head. “Ohh shh its okay, he is fine I promise,” he said naturally, only wanting his daughter happy.
Micheal escorted her inside taking her jacket and throwing it onto the couch. “Dinner is ready, we can look for him tomorrow. I am sure he is just catting around,” he said taking a seat at the table turning the music down with a remote to a small roar. Ozzy was quiet as she took her seat at the table of two and ate her macaroni and wrinkled her nose. “Why do you have to add tuna, its nasty” she asked. “You like tuna sandwiches don’t you? We can knock out dairy, wheat, and protein in one” he said with a confident laugh and handed her a glass of juice. “Bath after. Then bed” he stated quickly pounding down his food.
Within minutes she finished her food, placing the bowl in the sink before climbing up the stairs. In the other room she could hear her father get ready for work. She wasn’t quite sure what his job was called but he worked in a club in a nearby town that he had to drive a good hour or so too get there. The pay was decent but one of the major perks was having the option to see any concert for free and meet bands backstage. The downside was he left around seven at night and did not get home until one in the morning. 
After her bath, her father waited to tuck her into bed. “Without Avon here I will be alone” she said softly as she laid her head on the pillow. She felt him push the covers around her making her snug and warm. “I am sorry, but there is no need to worry, this is a small town and the neighbors know to watch over the house. I mean Mr. and Mrs. Evans are officers. You will be okay” he stated. “Bravest eight year old I know!” he said tousling her hair. With that he stood up and placed the cordless phone by her bed and took his leave.
~
The following morning Ozzy woke up to the sounds of loud snoring in the room across from hers. Thankfully her daddy had made it home okay. Launching herself out of bed and dressing herself she ran outside to the warm, late summer air.
Ozzy walked to the house right next to her own, cutting across both yards and knocked on the door. A tall man in a suit and tie answered. 
“Yes, Mr. Cardell I was wondering if you have seen a orange cat around with a black collar?” she said with a small grin. “My cat is missing, his name is Avon” she finished. The man shook his head, “I have not, but maybe Kai can help you” he said and gently moved past her toward his car revealing his son who had been on the stairs behind him. 
Ozzy gave a small grin to see her good friend and placed her hands on her hips, “Hey butthead, where have you been, you haven’t come over all week” she said and watched him stand. “Ahh you know, big kid stuff, I am 10 now. Double digits” he said with a smirk as he flipped his charcoal colored hair that was cut above the ears. She gave a wide eyed expression, “You’re kidding me! I didn’t know you were even older. I turn nine in a few months” she said letting her arms hang at her sides. He raised and eyebrow and placed a hand on her head. “You are an exception” he said and went quiet removing his hand just as she began to speak again. “I need help finding my cat. Avon, he is missing” she said and stared at him. He grunted narrowing his eyes, “What do you mean he is gone” he said deeply and shoved his hands in his pockets. “Im sure he is fine. He probably just ran away” he said and closed his dark pine green eyes. After a few moments he looked to see her tearing up once again just like the night before. “You jerk! I loved him” she said crossing her arms. He sighed rubbing his neck feeling the slightest bit bad for her tears and looked around the room at the family portrait on the wall. “Maybe he fell in love with another cat. He went to be with her” he said and saw her raise her head. “You mean that can really happen?” she asked. He nodded, “Of course it can. I mean, you see this stuff all the time.” Ozzy rubbed the tears from her eyes and nodded, “Okay, I will let him go. He will be happier” she said and took a deep breath. “Good,” he shot back. “Now come over to my house, I want you to play with me” she said.


© 2013 TheGreatAndPowerful


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

This made me miss my cat Ghost, wo died last year. Sweet story and well written. Keep up the good work!

Posted 10 Years Ago


Very, very sweet! I totally feel for Ozzy - I lost my one-year-old kitten a few months ago! Very good writing! Well done!

Posted 10 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

368 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on December 14, 2013
Last Updated on December 15, 2013
Tags: romance, killer, serial, horror, mystery, murder, friendship, sex, gore, murderer, family


Author

TheGreatAndPowerful
TheGreatAndPowerful

About
I go by my personas name which is Ozzy. On my past account I was Ayumi, and in real life it is Sami. I hope to get back into writing and felt it was necessary to make a new account and start with a .. more..

Writing