Chapter Four

Chapter Four

A Chapter by Brooke
"

The fourth chapter to Bloodline... This is my personal favorite chapter so far. xD

"

 

                   Chapter Four
 
   I locked my gaze on the unmoving body, trying my best to stop hyperventilating. I held onto the bar for dear life, to hopefully keep myself from fainting. Clarissa was standing next to me about a few seconds later, staring at me with consternation filling her green eyes.
   “Harley, what’s wrong? Why are you screaming?” She asked, putting her hand firmly on my shoulder. I tore my eyes away from the body.
   “I-It’s h-h-him,” I stuttered, lifting my hand to point at the body of who was once my friend.
   “Who? Oh, him? Harley, he’s only a faerie. Why are you so flipped out over a faerie?” She questioned, dropping her hand from my shoulder. I turned to look at Clarissa for a moment, and then just stared past her, at one of the blackened walls. She didn’t need to know the truth about that body. The truth is, she didn’t even know about how I used to be in The Renegade. And, now wasn’t the best time to tell her about that. I just had to concentrate on forgetting the body of the faerie that saved my life.
 
   “Harley, run!” Allie screeched, being pulled back by the wildcat shape-shifter. I stopped in my tracks, hearing Jess’s scream. The other large cat had her pinned down, trying to tear at her face with its claws. No, I thought, turning around to face my two best friends.
   “No! I won’t leave without you two!” I yelled back to Allie, who had changed into her sandy-colored wolf form. I sprinted towards the two wildcats, leaping up and exploding into a wolf.
   No, Harley. Just go! We can take care of ourselves. You’re the one that really needs to stay alive here! Allie thought to me. I ignored it, and lunged at the wildcat. I landed on its back, tearing at its fur. Dark gold tufts of fur littered the air as I kept clawing at the creature’s back. The wildcat screeched, letting Allie go, and whipping around, flinging me off of its back. I landed on the ground with a muted thump, my shoulder scratched and bleeding where I landed on it. I quickly got up from the sand and steadied myself, tensing my muscles for when the wildcat decided to charge at me. It slowly turned around, facing my direction. A low growl ripped through me, and I ran at it, putting full effort into the blow. The cat reached me first, lurching forward, and sending me flying backwards again. I landed on my stomach, gasping for air. I rolled over onto my side, to see a large, golden brown form in front of me, baring its teeth. A tried to growl at it again, but all the came out was a high pitched whimper. The creature snarled, and locked its razor-sharp teeth around my neck. My vision clouded over with red, and I strained to keep my eyes open, to make sure that Jess and Allie were safely away. I was just about giving into the inviting darkness, when the warm form was yanked away from where I was lying limp on the sandy beach. I could feel the blood pouring from the wound on my neck as I struggled to sit upright. Through my blurry vision, I could faintly see a rather small, male form attacking the wildcat. The cat screeched, but the sound was cut off as the other form sunk a long, silver sword into its chest. The other one had fled the clearing, and was nowhere to be seen. I turned my cloudy gaze over to where Jess and Allie were standing, dumbstruck by the sudden appearance of this savior. I changed back into my human form, clapping my hand over the wound on my throat. I managed to stand, leaning on a nearby palm tree for support. The boy rushed over to where I was.
   “Are you all right? That’s a pretty bad wound you have there.” He asked, looking at the bloodstained collar of my shirt.
   “Um, yes. I’m fine. It’ll heal.” I managed to choke, looking at the blond boy. He couldn’t be older than seventeen, and was rather small for his age and strength. I examined his almost purple-looking eyes as they shifted from purple to green.
   “A-Are you a faerie?” I questioned. The boy nodded.
   “Yeah; I’m Daniel,” he said, “but, I must be going. I’m really not supposed to be out here, but, you three looked like you needed help. See ya later; I hope we run into each other again.” Daniel finished, smiling warmly at me. Then, he took off into the forest-like trees circling the clearing.
 
   I blinked a few times, snapping out of my little flashback.
   “Harley, Harley? You okay, girl?” I heard Alyssa ask, from somewhere below. I got my vision back, and looked down at her.
   “Yeah, I’m fine,” I replied. I looked over at the body of Daniel again. I remembered the exact color of his eyes, the exact tone of his voice when he had said, ‘I hope we run into each other again.’ Well, his hopes had come true. Except, he was dead when they did. I looked away from his unmoving, bloody body, to Clarissa.
   “Um, come on. We should go back,” she said quickly, grabbing my wrist, and towing me out of the hideout.
   “I thought we were here to investigate it?” I asked.
   “We were; but, girl, you look like you’re gonna faint any second. It would be best to get back home.”
   I didn’t respond, and felt for the piece of paper in my pocket. It was still there; as I had made sure it was safely tucked away, so I wouldn’t lose it. I yanked my wrist out of Clarissa’s grip, and followed her back to the S.S.C headquarters; the place that she called home. I obviously wouldn’t be going back to live with Chessie for a while.
 
   Clarissa and I had gone back to the infirmary, and explained the situation to Parker.
   “That bad, huh?” He commented, when Clarissa finished. I nodded.
   “Well, I thought you guys would be gone longer. You did go to investigate, didn’t you?” Parker asked, his gaze flickering between the both us. Clarissa glanced at me, and then turned back to her brother.
  “Well, yes; but, Harley got a little… Freaked out.” She said, with a laugh. I tried to manage a smile, but the image of Daniel’s limp form and the memory of that day when he came to my rescue wouldn’t leave my thoughts. I tried to blink away the oncoming tears, but one of them slipped down my cheek, out of my reach to stop t. I quickly looked up at Clarissa and Parker, hopefully they hadn’t noticed that. I was Harley the Warrior, one of the toughest members of S.S.C. I wasn’t supposed to break down and cry.
   “I think we might go back tomorrow; see if there’s been any change. Like, if the vampires went back or something.” Clarissa announced. I nodded, looking at the white tiled floor.
   Clarissa had decided to stay with Parker for the night, so I left the infirmary for my room. Normally, I would’ve just snuck back into Chessie’s place through the window, but, I didn’t want to go back there. That would be putting Chessie in danger, and, well, she didn’t need that. I climbed into my bed, in the large airy room. The way S.S.C headquarters were laid out almost reminded me of a college campus. The dorms where student lived, the labs and offices almost being like the classrooms. I closed my eyes, hoping that sleep would wash away all the memories from the day. I just lay awake for a few hours, but my exhaustion finally took over, and I fell asleep.


© 2009 Brooke


Author's Note

Brooke
Well, as usual, just ignore any typos, and, any reviews wil be accepted... but, nothing mean or rude, yadda yadda yadda.... All that. =D

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

i love whats happening so far good writing :)

Posted 14 Years Ago


Okay. Um. Well, I have no idea why it's just "h" as the last word in the first sentence. It's supposed to be hyperventilating. Weeirrdd!

Posted 14 Years Ago


0 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

149 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on August 14, 2009


Author

Brooke
Brooke

NY



About
'Sup. Okay, well, I guess y'all can't really answer that. Haha. But, anywayyysss... I'm Brooke. WOO HOO -- Wait, is that a good thing? Well, if you know me, HECK YEAH it is! So. Lets cut to the ch.. more..

Writing