Compartment 114
Compartment 114
Beautiful author websites
Stop wasting time and money on Wix & Wordpress. Authors are creating beautiful websites with Myauthor.space FREE!
Chapter 6

Chapter 6

A Chapter by TJ Graham
"

Dylan's life is shattered.

"

 

  

 

  Later that night, we took Kada home. She got out of the car first. I stepped out after her. The two of us were at her door. I saw sadness in Kada’s eyes.

 

            “Wha-“ I opened my mouth to ask what was wrong, she burst into tears.

 

            “I should’ve asked you to come with me to the cafeteria!” She choked. “I’m so sorry for what happened”

 

  I didn’t expect it to effect her this much, I just passed it off as some funny-farm kid who’d played to much of ‘Grand Theft Auto’.

 

            “It’s over and done with, the cops will find him, and I’ll have his a*s put away” I said hugging Kada.

 

  However, I lied. There is more motivation behind Ryan’s acts. I had not shown Kada the note, apparently, it had been tossed in the garbage, and it wasn’t in my pocket at the hospital.

 

            “I’ll see you Monday morning, alright?” I said, hoping to reassure her that things were ok, for now.

 

            “Ok…” She hugged me again, her tears flowing onto my shoulder, her heavy breathing deafening my ear. “I love you, Dylan”

 

            “I love you, too” I replied “I’ll see you Monday, ok?” I said again.

 

  She let go and I watched her walk up to her front door, she opened it and sauntered in and looked inside and shook her head, I assumed that her father was passed out on the couch.

 I just sighed and walked towards the car, I saw movement across the street, must be a dog.

I was just confused by all the s**t that’s gone on in the past month.

 

Like I said, when I find Ryan, somebody’s life will change.

 

 ***

 

            “Dylan!...Dylan!....GET UP NOW!........YOU NEED TO SEE THIS!” I heard from my doorway, this not so glorious Sunday Morning. Sundays are my ‘sleep-in’ days.

 

            “Dylan….GET THE F**K UP!” When Sarah swears it’s really serious, Mom rarely lets it go. But she started crying, not the ‘I lost something and can’t find it’ cry but the ‘My dog just died’ kind of cry.

  I groggily climbed out of bed, then I felt myself being pulled towards the doorway, I struggled to get up. Sarah hit me. But, I knew it was a smack meant to bring m back to reality.

 

            “Jesus!....Chill out” I said get up from being dragged like a sack of potatoes. “What the heck do you need?”

 

            “On the T.V.!”

 

            “Can’t you just tell me?!” I asked.

 

  I should’ve kept my mouth shut. Sarah burst into tears. I groaned and followed her upstairs. The News was on, but the TiVo was paused. Mom stood stone still in the middle of the kitchen, adjacent to the Family Room, hand over her mouth in shock. I looked to my left to see Andrew staring down at me, apprehension in his eyes. Sarah collapsed next to Mom, feverish with emotion.

 

            “Play it”. Mom directed to my brother.

 

  I stared at the television as it played, a lady’s face filled the screen, a look of despair addressed her face:

 

            “Tragedy and grief today in Easton, Colorado –“ Her next words hit me like a wrecking ball to the heart, and then the girl’s picture filled the screen:

 

            “Eagle Rock High School Student, Kada Arthur Hilman, along with her father, Arthur Patrick Hilman were found murdered this morning in their home, when a concerned neighbor found their dog laying on the sidewalk outside”

  The screen changes to a video of an old woman, I know her she lives across the street from Kada, one house down:

 

            “I went to see if anyone had accidentally left the dog outside, Bobo usually isn’t left outside. I walked up to the door and….and …I…I saw their bodies on the floor, through the winda….Arthur was just such a nice man and had the most beautiful and light-hearted daughter”

 

  The screen then changes to the photo of Kada’s father, as he was in the military last year. A proud picture of a proud man.

 

            “Arthur Patrick Hilman had-“ The report continued;

 

 I stood, staring. Not wanting to say anything, wanting to…I blocked the thought from my mind. I focused back on the News report.

 

            “Both victims were found with multiple gunshot wounds to the head and chest, police say that judging by the absence of 9-11 reports that the crime happened late last night and the killer had used a form of covert assassination.

            This tragic event brings  to light the recent attack on the boyfriend of Kada Hilman, who was assaulted in a bathroom at Eagle Rock, just a little more than a month ago, authorities are still investigating, no suspects have been found in either case, but they do believe these events are somewhat related”

 

  Mom paused the TiVo, I was seething with rage, guilt and sadness. That shadow I saw last night.  Ryan! That son-of-a-b***h had waited outside Kada’s apartment, waited until I’d left. I couldn’t take this anymore. I collapsed in tears. Mom, Sarah, even Andrew walked over, crying, comforting me. I’d lost the love of my life.

 

  I can’t wait until Monday.

           



© 2008 TJ Graham


Author's Note

TJ Graham
Only leaves more to be asked.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

Didn't see Kada dying. I like it :D. BTW thank you for cleaing up the writing. In the first chapters it was skewed :S.

Posted 14 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe

Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5
Know That I Too
We are never alone (a poem for mental health month)

Stats

283 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on October 26, 2008
Last Updated on October 28, 2008


Author

TJ Graham
TJ Graham

Castle Rock, CO



About
According to "I Write Like", I have the literary talents similar to Margaret Mitchell, author of 'Gone With The Wind'. That's too bad, I was hoping It'd say Stephanie Meyer, because I'd be able to thr.. more..

Writing
Rookie Rookie

A Story by TJ Graham


Fall Fall

A Story by TJ Graham