Chapter 7

Chapter 7

A Chapter by TJ Graham
"

Grief and Determination are set in motion.

"

 

 

            Most of Sunday night, I sat on the couch with the family, letting the emotions sink in. I kept seeing the News anchors face, her solemn face, bringing me news of my girlfriend’s brutal death.

  Mom suggested I take a few days off from school: Hell No. I wasn’t going to let this fly. She suspects I might do something irrational, she may be right.

 

I laid in bed later that night, staring at the ceiling, trying to keep from looking at the picture of Kada and I sitting face down on my nightstand. Andrew walked in. It was 3:14am.

 

            “Hey, Dylan?” He said, I quickly turned on my side, facing away from him, I regretted it. I didn’t want him to think I didn’t want to listen. I turned back around and embarrassingly wiped the tears from my ears.

 

            “Hey, Andy” I said.

 

Andrew sat in the chair by my desk, thought in his eyes.

 

            “You kn-“ he started to speak but I cut him off.

 

            “It’s been two years, Andrew” I suddenly smiled. “I was going to ask Mom for her blessing, I was going to marry Kada after I turned eighteen!”

 

  This seemed to come as a shock to Andrew. He then looked towards the door, Mom was standing there, listening. I looked at her, got up from the bed and collapsed at her feet. I was hysterical.

 

           

            “YOU WERE GOING TO HAVE GRAND-KIDS IN A COUPLE YEARS, MOM!”  I had completely lost it.

 

Once this sentence hit her, Mom began to cry as well. I didn’t know where Sarah was in all of this, but I’m sure she’d heard enough, she didn’t need to get involved anymore.

  Andrew got up and left the room, looking angry. I was beginning to think that this was not what he expected to come home to, but he wasn’t one to go back to Dad.

 

   I soon fell asleep in Mother’s arms, just like a baby, and it felt good. It felt good to have someone there for me, someone who has and always loves me. It was the greatest moment in my life, and I’d never experience it again.

 

 ***

      I woke up the next morning in my bed, I looked at the clock: 5:10am. Time to get up! I headed downstairs, Mom wasn’t making breakfast. No big deal, I then turned the corner towards her room. She lay asleep, her arm limp over the left side of her bed. I saw it. Crumpled tissue and a photo album, the one of Kada and I. I decided I’m going to have to keep an eye on her. She doesn’t need to end up like Dad.

 

  Thankfully, I had made the decision to at least learn what and how Mom cooked. I made my favorites. I put my plate on the table and saw a note:

 

            “Hey, Little Man,

 

                        I called county last night and they should be able to sit down with you today at school, I hope that everything works out,

                                  

                                   Your brother,

                                                                                    Andrew.

                       

 

P.S. Let me know if I can help….with anything.”

 

 

   I thought about this. I had my own goals to accomplish, as I said before, priorities you know. As I wolfed down my plate, I thought about that sick f**k, Ryan. I saw him again, I was in the bathroom again. His merciless assault came back to me, I could feel the pain again.

 

            “Dylan!...Dylan!” Mom brought me back from that temporary hell, I was on the floor, I’d dropped my plate. It lay smashed on the kitchen floor.

 

            “Is everything alright?”

 

            “I have to go!” I said staggering up from the floor.

 

She protested.

 

            “Wait!” She yelled as I reached the door. I think she’s caught on. To my surprise, she held up my cane. “Aren’t you forgetting something?” She is so right.

 

            “Thanks, Mom” I gave her a huge hug, it could be my last.

 

I stepped out into the cool Colorado air, determined and ready. However, I felt as if not all things were in place, I feel worse is coming, full speed.



© 2008 TJ Graham


Author's Note

TJ Graham
So far my shortest chapter. I may add to it in second draft.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

You should put a paragraph in there where in secret Dylan remembers the memory of Kada and breaksdown. Or have a paragraph describe why Dylan can't get angry over Kada's death any more and ignore his feelings.

Posted 14 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

258 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on October 28, 2008
Last Updated on October 28, 2008


Author

TJ Graham
TJ Graham

Castle Rock, CO



About
According to "I Write Like", I have the literary talents similar to Margaret Mitchell, author of 'Gone With The Wind'. That's too bad, I was hoping It'd say Stephanie Meyer, because I'd be able to thr.. more..

Writing
Rookie Rookie

A Story by TJ Graham


Fall Fall

A Story by TJ Graham