Rise

Rise

A Chapter by Vouren

Fury tore through Reinhardt's body as the anger finally caught up. His soul burned through his eyes, turning them black. A new understanding was born from within, and with that understanding, more power than he had ever felt before. Born from his vengeance and hate, Reinhardt reached out and grabbed the closest shadow. Fear didn't have time to reach the creature's face before being dragged into Reinhardt's body, bound to his soul.

In unison screams erupted from black mouths as the monsters began fleeing. Terror hit across the faces of every bandit, for they couldn't see where the sounds came from. The ice elementalist hesitate long enough for Reinhardt to avoid her killing blow. Free from immediate danger, at least for a few seconds, he turned his attention back to the shadows, scattering through the forest.

After a short distance large sickly trees blocked his vision, seemingly closing in behind the mysterious shadows. Night hadn't fallen yet but the sun was finally ducking out of sight behind the distant mountains. Nearby swamps were releasing a thick fog that crept into the field through dying trees. Normally fear would grip anybody caught in such a place at night, but Reinhardt knew something that nobody else did. In that moment, no shadows or monsters could match the darkness flowing through his own veins.

Reinhardt guided the strange new power coursing through him, directing it after the vanishing shadows. A nearby shadow fought his pull, struggling to free itself. He drew the screaming entity into his soul and bound its power to his own. With every shadow he pulled in he felt his hatred grow, fueling his need for more. He drew another shadow to him and then a fourth. Every essence bound to his soul made him stronger, and soon he began grabbing more than one at a time.

With dozens of creatures bound to him Reinhardt could feel their presence. Still screaming in anger, the monsters circled back and attempted to take their attacker by force. He was tired of being frightened and beaten, subject to the will of other. Reaching out again, the dark pull of his power took hold of all the nearby shadows and drew them in. Silence finally fell over the twilight field, the screams having been silenced.

A dark haze filled the air close to Reinhardt's eyes, his power unable to be contained. The Icilean didn't bother moving, or running anymore. Nobody moved, petrified by the battle they hadn't been able to see take place. A once scared and beaten man now stood glowing with rage. Clearing a space around their captive the bandits were hesitant to push an attack. Knowing the Icilee people to be superstitious Reinhardt knew they would need a hard prod to move again.

The ice elementalist shook off her clearly visible fears and gathered more ice. Reinhardt could feel her control over the ice pulsing through the element. It formed into another spear and turned towards Reinhardt, flying through the air towards her target. For an elementalist Reinhardt could feel how weak she. The black haze shot from Reinhardt and slammed violently into the moving ice, ripping control of it away from its master. The ease at which he could do it surprised him.

Fear crossed her face when she realized what happened. Confusion flickered across the faces of those watching as a ball of ice formed above his hand. The power of an elementalist passed from parents to child at birth. Those lucky enough to awaken the latent abilities within their bodies often spoke of a strange tingling sensation coursing through them during the moment commonly refereed to as the awakening. Puberty often sparked the release of their power, but it was common for stronger wielders too awaken even earlier in their lives. Having been an orphan Reinhardt didn't know if his parents had elementalists.

After reaching adulthood the orphanage sent him on his way and left him to fend for himself in the world beyond the safety of those stone walls. Reinhardt only had a few friends in his younger years, but in the end he was alone. Those who displayed even the slightest skill with ice had been recruited into the Icile army. At Reinhardt's age it'd be possible for him to never displayed any level of connection to the elements and still awaken.

"No that's impossible! An elementalist's shift cannot be broken!"

Even before she confirmed his theory, Reinhardt knew something was different. Every piece of trash walking the streets knew how an elementalist worked. They had thought they were pursuing a simple peasant, but they were wrong. He couldn't control the elements in the same manner as a normal elementalist but he was seemed to be able too interrupt their hold on their attacks.

The sun had finally descended completely behind the horizon and the small field was almost now almost completely covered in darkness. No sounds could be heard in the distance. All of the wildlife had fallen silent, fleeing from an unnatural threat. Reinhardt knew this wouldn't take long. Drawing the ice he had collected into a ball, floating deceptively peaceful above his hand, he began making small alterations too it. Small spikes on the surface of the ball began to rise, like thousands of little arrows, pointed out towards his captors.

“This wont hurt for long...though I wont promise anything.” As the light of the sun vanished completely a grim smile crossed the farmer's face.



© 2013 Vouren


Author's Note

Vouren
I thought this was a little short, but didn't know what would fit well. Is there anything I should add? More conversation, or action? By this point in the story would a reader understand what's going on? etc.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

I really like this revision!!

Posted 10 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

270 Views
1 Review
Added on December 14, 2012
Last Updated on August 4, 2013
Previous Versions


Author

Vouren
Vouren

NH



About
First and foremost I love to write, that is why I'm here. Everything I work on falls into a single universe created called The Last Stand. Along with my writing i also dab into drawing (and I mea.. more..

Writing
Revival Revival

A Chapter by Vouren


Escape Escape

A Chapter by Vouren