Reign of Fire

Reign of Fire

A Chapter by Vouren

The heat from the fires were outstanding. Buildings all around Reinhardt had already begun crumbling under the intense heat. Reaching out with his power he tried to take control of the dragon's fire but soon realized that, he couldn't turn this beasts attack back on itself. Knowing that he didn't have time to consider if there was a connection between the masters and dragons, he decided to leave it for a later moment.
Wiping sweat away from his forehead and looking was nearly enough effort to cause him to faint, the heat was unbearable. He had nearly been knocked over by the dragon's wings as it swooped down to try and hit Reinhardt with another ball of fire. Quickly releasing the restraint on his dragons tail he spun and lashed out with the whip like weapon. The tip of the blade did nothing to the creatures hard scales. It just glanced away from the creature. 
Already knowing he was in trouble Reinhardt was searching for another option, anything he could use as a weapon, or buy himself some time. Running through the melting streets of the city took far more energy than he thought he had left. Having expended nearly all of his energy in the battle against the four winds Reinhardt was seriously surprised he could manage standing, let alone running.
Fighting the urge to stop he kept his legs moving. Buildings toppled nearby as more flames fought to reach the skies above. Catching sight of the monstrous creature soothing flames at random buildings he wondered if it was hunting other people or if it just wanted to fly around burning things. The thought would have made him laugh if he wasn't sprinting through the streets. Turning his head to look back over one of his shoulders he could see it circling back around towards him.
The long street he was on didn't seem to end. Through the fire Reinhardt couldn't see the end and the massive dragon was closing on him quickly. Seeing an alleyway approaching on his right he changed directions and made it safety into the closed off street just in time to miss being fried by a large blast of heat. Searching for another way out he caught sight a doorway at the other end of the small road.
A deafening roar shot a sharp pain through his ears. Not wasting any time he ran for the door. Bricks sailed past him as a massive head crashed into the tiny opening of the alleyway. Looking back Reinhardt was shocked to see the dragon clawing the buildings around him apart. It looked either very angry or very hungry and he refused to find out.
Knowing what was coming next he wasted no time getting out of the enclosed space. Every brick behind him nearly melted as fire erupted for it's mouth. Unaffected by the now liquid rock pouring onto it's skin, the beast slashed its way between the building after Reinhardt. Taking back everything nice he had ever said about these creatures, he cursed to himself and ran without slowing down, up the stairs inside the doorway he had found.
Even with all of the fire and claws there was no way it could get itself into the building. Panting hard from the exertion he swore at the dragon over and over again. There was no way it could understand him but it made him feel better.
Reaching the top of the building Reinhardt threw open a door and found himself standing on a rooftop. It wasn't the largest building in the city originally but at this point it was pretty much the only Duzee building left standing. Searching the skies around him he couldn't find the current bane of his existence and that startled him.
“There is no way a creature that size can just hide...” No longer feeling that swearing could do any good for him he sprinted towards the edge of the roof and hurled himself off just in time to avoid the body of the dragon exploding from the building behind him. Even though the fall only took a few seconds it felt like a lifetime. Trying to force himself into a roll, he only managed to smack the ground and hit his head and the now soft stone.
“Seriously?! What is this things problem!” Fighting the pain in his body Reinhardt stood. Now completely visible the massive red dragon circled back towards where he was standing and landed. Like a nightmare, the dragons breath was visible as it breathed hot steam. Fiery eyes watched him closely and hungrily, but he still wasn't sure if the hunger was of the eating kind. Every elementalist he had met could tell something about Reinhardt was different than other people, maybe that was what was driving this creature.
Surrounded by fire and destroyed buildings there was nowhere Reinhardt could run. Watching its body expand quickly he knew another blast of fire was coming for him. Not waiting for it to attack he unlatched his dragons tail and sent it whirling towards the red dragon. This time he didn't waist the attack on its body. Just before fire erupted from the creatures mouth the dragon's tip pierced the beasts eye, partially blinding it.
Screaming in pain, the creature lurched onto its back legs. Throwing its body around violently it nearly crushed him. Realizing that blinding the creature probably wasn't the best idea, he closed the distance with the monster and found an opportunity to climb onto its tail. Following the large plating on its back he found him way to the back of its neck.
Yelling in frustration he realized that there wasn't a single weak spot on the creatures body besides it's eyes. Reinhardt knew he was in serious trouble, without a way to escape, the fire and buildings would trap him with the red dragon.
Throwing him off, it regained as much composure as an angry, injured dragon could muster. Still trying to get to his feet Reinhardt was vulnerable. Using its tail as a hammer the beast was able to bring the muscular tail up over his head before bringing it crashing down onto where Reinhardt was standing. Watching helplessly, he could feel his heart slow. Even after everything he had managed to do this creature would be his end. Those cloaked b******s were right, he was doomed to die just like all of the others, and there was nothing he could do.
The thought of Briccio's lifeless body flashed before his eyes and he thought of that night near the fire. He had said that nothing would stop him from getting what he wanted, but he had never considered fighting a dragon as something he would have to do. Nobody has actually seen one this large in a long time.
Unfolding its wings the dragon raised its muscled body off the ground and onto its back legs. It's chest started to expand again as it drew in air. It would only take a few more seconds before it could end this fight with a wave of fire. Having no other options Reinhardt reached onto his back and grabbed the handle of the massive longsword the cloaked men had given him.
When this weapon was given to him he had decided to not use it. Something about it just didn't feel right, almost like it had its own mind. Often he realized that he was thinking about it when he was just walking or not concentrating on anything in particular. Not having a choice now he drew it from its sheath.
Reinhardt's mind slowly cleared. The pain of his past flowed from his heart and out of his body. Everything around him seemed to realign itself. As a massive wave of fire roared towards him he was surprised to see that he could tell exactly where the attack would break apart if struck. Following his intuition Reinhardt lashed out and watched as the fire parted and missed him. A smile spread across his lips when he saw a surprised look on the dragons face.
“Fine, if death is what they think I am, then I will be death.” All doubt left Reinhardt's mind. A strange pain ran just below his skin forcing him to grimace. Looking at his arms he watched as black veins spread under his skin like tattoo's. Examining his entire body he realized it wasn't just his arms that were now covered with the strange markings. If the cloaked men had mean anything by awakening his power than this had to be what they meant. 
        Power coursed through his body like fire. Every inch of him was in pain but he felt amazing. Every muscle hardened, and his desire to fight was almost too much to hold back. More alive than it had ever been, the strange sword was now shaking with excitement. Reinhardt could feel his power flowing through the sword and realized that was the real purpose of the intricate design crafted beneath surface of the black blade. Dropping back onto its front legs the angry red dragon folded its wings behind it and let out a deafening roar.
        "I would prefer to not kill." Reinhardt grinned and rested his long sword on his shoulder. "But to be honest I don't think anybody will miss you once you're dead."


© 2012 Vouren


Author's Note

Vouren
This is another HUGE part in the development of Reinhardt. Accepting what he is, he draws on the full power granted to him and faces off with a dragon.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

199 Views
Added on December 14, 2012
Last Updated on December 14, 2012


Author

Vouren
Vouren

NH



About
First and foremost I love to write, that is why I'm here. Everything I work on falls into a single universe created called The Last Stand. Along with my writing i also dab into drawing (and I mea.. more..

Writing
Revival Revival

A Chapter by Vouren


Escape Escape

A Chapter by Vouren