The Fascinations of Limbo #1

The Fascinations of Limbo #1

A Chapter by Enigma

The nights where as black as the universe, covered in shining stars and endless beauty. The wind whistled throughout the lands, thumping against the trees, brushing against my soft skin. This motion send a swift feeling throughout my body, a chilling yet warming touch I felt often as I slipped through the midnight streets, listening as the cobra swirled and slithered, dragging its soft but rough scales along the ground around me. I listened. It was near.

 

My name was Don. Nothing more nothing less, just Don. It was better people didn’t know my full name because when it was herd, trouble always seemed to appear. I walked along the streets as my daily routine, saying hello and what not. I’m pay attention to the groups of people, looking for familiar faces but never found any. It was strange to me this walk. What hadn’t I seen anyone? Have they all skipped town? Would I ever see them? I usually tried not to think about it and continued on.

 

I’d circle around the block, waving to the officers and by standers here and there.  The silent cobra always stayed close, hidden in the park grass or within the small alley ways. This also made me think. Why couldn’t anyone see the snake? Was I the only one? But alas, I tried not to think about the snake, and continued on.

 

I’d find myself in some sort of limbo at the end of the walk, finding nothing familiar, collaborated with familiar objects. I didn’t know what was going on but I’d continue down the planned trail, turning around from time to time. The Cobra was growing more aware of my pretense, quickening his pace I could tell. The scales grinded against the concrete, his dark green eyes walking my every move. He was a pleasant fellow at the least, never looking to put anyone in harm’s way. But he was a snake, true to his nature he could resist it from time to time. . .

 

This Limbo would make my stomach ache, my head pound and my eyes water. I thought I’d be use to it but It never changed. The pain only grew worse, the sights grew more intense.

“Hello” I said in surprised. I found a dark figure standing above me, watching and staring. He didn’t say a word, nor move a muscle. He just stood in wait. . .

 

“Who are you?” I asked. He said nothing. I moved towards this figure but he seemed to be slipping away. I moved faster but nothing changed. “Wait! Come back!” I yelled. “Where am I?” I yelled. This Limbo was different. The path was gone, everything reawakened. Nothing was the same. Nothing. I kept running, not wanting to lose the only source of information I had. 


But I made the wrong move. It was like a game of checkers. Move the wrong piece, you could lose it. I was the piece, I had lost it all. The game was over. The Cobra had taken me. I thought I was far from his deadly grasp but he was always behind me. This was the day he decided to snap, the day he won the game.

 

This leaves a mystery in my mind. Why hadn’t the moon shown throughout the night? Why hadn’t the sun awoke? Why was I the Cobra’s victim?  It is said the Cobra strikes those with bad thoughts. I couldn’t remember a single bad thought… but then I remembered the day she died.



© 2011 Enigma


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

361 Views
Added on August 2, 2011
Last Updated on August 2, 2011


Author

Enigma
Enigma

SC



About
I was never meant to be, so why am I still here? more..

Writing
Tea Tea

A Poem by Enigma


Locked Locked

A Poem by Enigma