Chapter 3 - Talking to a ghost

Chapter 3 - Talking to a ghost

A Chapter by Anya
"

Slowly he put out a hand and passed it through the sofa arm. I gasped and shivered.

"

Charlie

I miss you mum, but I can’t find you. Where are you? I’ve tried looking… I’m lonely… I hope you're okay, I hope that you’re not worrying too much… I hope you’re not too sad…

 

Jessica

It was the second day that I was in hospital. A nurse was fiddling about with my medication. I had my eyes closed but suddenly opened them at a low cough. The nurse was still bending over something. I glanced around the room then sat bold upright…

“What’s he doing here?!” I spat, glaring at the scruffy looking boy sitting on the sofa to my right.

“Careful, love” the nurse soothed “easy now, lie back down, there’s a good girl!”

The boy winked at me.

“Get him out!” I screamed.

“Lovie, it’s just you and me here!” she said gently.

“But he’s just there!!” the nurse looked to where I was pointing, she looked worried.

“I’ll be back in just a second” she said and went out the room at a trot. I slumped back down on my pillows, turning onto my front, burying my face in the soft folds.

“She can’t see me” his voice floated quietly through the air “It’s just you…” his voice trailed away “I jumped off a cliff… I’m… dead” He hesitated “My name’s Charlie”

“Jessica” I said. My voice sounding muffled beneath the pillows.

 

Charlie

“Hello Jessica”. She didn’t reply. I sat down on the edge of her bed and sighed. She didn’t move. I didn’t either. I struggled with myself but the urge was too over powering. I reached out a hand, it hovered over her head. I bit my lip then put out a finger and touched her hair. I drew in breath. I could touch her, another human being. Something warm felt like it was spreading through my body. I had Jessica at least and that’s a start. The door clicked and the nurse came back in followed by the doctor. I got up and hurriedly made my way to the back of the room. Jessica turned and told the doctor that she thought that she had been dreaming. The nurse still looked concerned but the Doctor nodded, asked her how she was feeling, wrote something down on a clipboard and walked out.

 

Jessica

I was discharged from the hospital three days ago. I don’t know why they kept me in as long as they did… something about my blood pressure I think.

 

Well I asked for excitement and adventure and… well I guess I got it. But this is too weird.

 

I can talk to a ghost.

 

There! I said it.

 

Charlie

I’m sitting on Jessica’s sofa. She’s wrapped in a fuzzy blue dressing gown. Her mum’s at work. I feel scruffy and dirty compaired to the house. It’s clean… too clean. Unnaturally clean. I said that I was sitting on the sofa. I’m more perched-on-it-so-that-I-get-as-little-of-myself-on-it-as-possible kinda sitting. Although, I shouldn’t make a mark on it as technically I don’t exist… right??

 

This is all too weird.

 

Jessica

I’m staring at Charlie. He’s looking extremely uncomfortable. He keeps looking around and biting his lip. I hadn’t noticed before but he’s actually quite good looking if you like that sort of thing. He has straight black hair that falls in a diagonal arch across his forehead. His skin as I had noted before was very pale. His eyes, an electric blue, were now looking at me.

“What?” He asked blinking.

“Nothing” I said turning away and scratching my chin. Then a thought occurred to me “How come you don’t go through the sofa?”.

He chuckled.

“Watch” he closed his eyes. I did. Slowly he put out a hand and passed it through the sofa arm. I gasped and shivered.

“Creepy”.

“Just a bit” he grinned and opened his eyes, pulling his arm back.

“How did you do that?” his grin fell.

“I’m not sure… I just” He paused “let go…”

“Riiiiiight” I said sarcastically “Explains all”.

He laughed. It was infectious. I smiled weakly.

 

Charlie

There was an awkward silence between us. Jessica started looking at me again.

“What now” I said wearily.

“Well…” She hesitated then got up “Stay still”, I did. She sat down next to me and bit her lip. Her brown hair was tucked behind her ears. She lifted a hand and placed it on my arm, cautiously, slowly, like a cat. Her touch was comforting. A human, A warm human girl’s hand was on my arm. I sighed contentedly.

“Why?” She whispered. She didn’t need to explain anymore.

“I don’t know” I whispered back “I don’t know”



© 2009 Anya


Author's Note

Anya
im 13, my grammar and spelling aren't great, thank you for taking the time to read.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

[send message][befriend] Subscribe
(:
This is great, I love it! Write more when you can. This is very good. :)

Posted 15 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

147 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on April 6, 2009
Last Updated on April 13, 2009


Author

Anya
Anya

The UK



About
Well.... My name's Anya... that's a start. I love spiders, heights and physics.... yeeeeeah, I don't really! I can't stand spiders or heights or..... I have a distinct passion against physics (don'.. more..

Writing
Andrew Andrew

A Story by Anya


Forever Never Forever Never

A Story by Anya