Blue Rose and Raven: Chapter Twelve

Blue Rose and Raven: Chapter Twelve

A Chapter by C.S. Williams
"

Marius hears strange music in the night and is transported to the past...or is it something else?

"

It was the night after I finished the painting when I first heard the music.

            I woke up one night from a forgotten dream. My mouth was dry. My eyes were blurry. The room was dark except for the moonlight from the giant window. I shifted over and crawled out of bed. As the fog of sleep slowly cleared, I realized I heard something. A melody echoed through the halls. It was soft and muted, but unmistakable. A soft, lilting sound curling around me and lifting my spirit.

            With slippers on, I stepped into the hall. The music was still faint, yet now I could better judge its direction. There was one place in the entire estate it could be coming from: the atrium. With ghost-light candle in hand, I followed the sound through the gloomy halls. As I headed to the great hall, I noted how much emptier the manor felt. The few times I happened to be outside my room after lights out, I noted there were always a few servants lurking in the dark corners of the manor tidying something or otherwise idling about. This time, the rooms and halls were empty save for me and the furniture. Even the echo of my footsteps disappeared, fading like mist against the ever-present music in the air.

            My route to the atrium was supposed to be clear. The room was at the center of the building’s layout, after all. My room was located to the western part of the manor. My trip would’ve been a simple trip to the center. Instead, something stranger happened. As I turned the corner to the hallway that should have led directly into the atrium, I instead saw another darkened hallway. I looked back and then forward, confused. It was as it was some kind of prank being played on me. The halls had never done this before. Did it have something to do with the music? I considered heading back to my room. But my curiosity won out. I continued further down this new hallway. I reached the end of the corridor and turned a corner again. Yet another corner laid before me. The music still played.

            Against all logic, I kept going. If there was a hallway, I ventured into it. I knew I wasn’t lost. I knew where I was supposed to be going. Yet the geography of this place had twisted into something unrecognizable. I felt I was going in circles by moving forward. My stay with the Beast taught me of the existence of magic, but this was beyond anything I could imagine. Space itself was altering before my eyes, yet I was walking down a hallway like any other. After repeating this process for several more cycles, (I wasn’t counting, trust me.) small details alerted me that I was heading somewhere. The gloomy hallways slowly grew lighter and more radiant. The hanging lanterns and ghost-lights’ somber blue fire faded into bright yellow and orange candlelight. Soon the halls were bathed in a warm glow. The elegantly carved marble columns and patterned floors shined brightly, lanterns and candles reflecting like mirrors. I also began hearing the low din of many conversations in the air alongside the music. Soon I found myself in the middle of crowds of finely dressed people clustered together. They were all dressed in bright, expensive clothes. Some of the men wore massive, powdered wigs. Some women wore massive wide-hemmed dresses that resembled overturned umbrellas. There was the sweet scent of champagne. There was the clank of silverware. There was chatter. There was laughter.

            “Marius!” A familiar voice called to me.

            I searched the crowd. My eyes found a familiar servant with a lopsided hat. “Finley?” I said in disbelief. “Is that you?”

            He bowed to me. “The one and only. Good to see you could make it to the ball,” He said excitedly. “And so soon too.”

            “Ball? There’s a ball?” I asked, perplexed. “What’s going on? Where did all this come from?”

            “He’s terribly confused. Can’t you see?” A servant with a tray of food chided Finley. It was Dorsett if I remembered correctly. She always had that feather duster ready. “Hors d’ouerves?” She presented the tray of small meats and cheeses, her smile wide. I took a slice of salami and cheese. “No need to worry, young sir. This is just a dream. There’s no ball presently.”

            The revelation just confused me further. “But there is a ball.” I said, gesturing around.

            “What my friend was trying to say,” Finley said, glaring and Dorsett and waving her away, “Is that we are currently in a facsimile of reality. Not quite real, but not fake either.” He beckoned me to follow. We walked alongside me through the crowd. “We are experiencing a piece of the past, brought to the present.”

            “This is the past?” I said, stunned. I looked around at the bright lights and crowds of guests. “This place looks so…bright.”

            Finley nodded. “It was very nice here, once. People from across the world came here. Kings, lords, warriors, poets. Anyone who was anybody, really.” The daemon sighed. “It’s a shame we haven’t hosted anything like this in ages.”

            While listening to Finley, I was busy watching the partygoers chatter and enjoying themselves. Growing up, I’d encountered people like this in passing. Often Mother would meet with wealthy clients and high-society types. She thought little of them, thinking most of them were arrogant and vapid. She often said most of them didn’t deserve the ego their money granted them. Seeing them talk from a distance made me faintly aware of how ridiculous some people looked when they spoke, especially dressed in expensive clothing.

            “It’s the music, isn’t it?” I said to Finley. “She’s playing.”

            “Well, yes�"” Finley awkwardly shifted his feet. “About that�"”

            I looked around excitedly. “This is unbelievable. It’s a miracle!” I exclaimed. “And the fact that you’re not a statue? Is this part of the past as well?” Suddenly curious, I gazed down the hall. “I wonder if she’s in the atrium.”

            “Yes, that’s right,” Finley stammered. “I know this all very amazing, but the Mistress wishes not to be interrupted during a recital.” He leaned close to me. “She can hear us.”

            I was about to ask what he meant before a high voice called out. “Monsieur Dufresne!” I turned in surprise. A gaggle of partygoers waved a gloved hand before rushing to meet me. “Finally, we see you in person.” One of them stuck out their hand to me. “A pleasure to meet you.”

            I tentatively took his hand. “How do you do?” I responded half-sincerely.

            “Lindsey Wingates Tarrington III. Charmed.” The small man with the high voice bowed. “I must say, I’ve found every one of your paintings to be quite exquisite. Your Peacock series positively lights up my country house!”

            “Don’t forget that portrait of the Duke of Prussia!” Someone in the group piped up.

            “No, no! It was the Marquis De Sade!” Another yelled.

            They all drew closer, surrounding me like hyenas. My eyes darted around in confusion. I A feeling of claustrophobia began to set in. Any semblance of sense had left long ago. Here I was surrounded by a gang of impossibly wealthy patrons of the arts treating me like an old friend and world-renowned artist. And here I was in my pajamas. If this was the past, then I couldn’t possibly know these people. Then a thought occurred to me: Could this be my dream as well? Whatever power acting here working its ways must be affecting the entire manor as well, specifically me and the Beast. I searched myself for what could’ve brought this on. I had always wanted my paintings to mean something to people. Maybe this was memory mixing with fantasy. The facsimiles of people were taking my desires into account and acting accordingly. It was all so strange. But I was determined to find the source of the music. “Why, thank you all very much. You’re too kind, really,” I replied in the best falsely polite affect I could manage. “But I’ve business in the atrium. I am here for the concert after all. If you would excuse me,” I said, pushing past their jungle of bodies. I was overwhelmed by the smell of strong perfumes and expensive scented creams. Like sheep, the partygoers parted with my arms while staring in what I assumed was disbelief. Once free, I quickly strode down the hall. I still felt their eyes on me as I walked.

            Like before, the halls stretched further and further on. I was overwhelmed by the sights and sounds of it all, this time out of time in which the manor wasn’t filled with darkness. The Beast had alluded to something in her past which led to her present state. If this was the past I could see and understand. If nothing else, I could better know my host.

            Soon I found myself at the entrance of the atrium. It was packed full of bodies crowded together. Their eyes were on the center of the room. I could not see the Beast despite the raised platform. The music was louder and brighter now. It was a piece I had never heard, but it sounded like Chopin’s pieces. They possessed a sense of dancing lightness, as if watching the glinting prismatic reflections of sunlight off a chandelier. It was soft and gentle and warm. If I could, it would’ve tasted like sweet honey and mint and spring air. I leaned against the entranceway just listening. It was the most beautiful music I’d ever heard. I shut my eyes as the music washed over me.

            When I opened my eyes, the atrium was dark again. The piano sat on the raised podium with its covering closed. I was alone.

 

            “I heard you playing last night,” I said to the Beast at breakfast the next day. She picked at her eggs and ham. “You were right about what you said about music. I didn’t believe you at first. But after what I saw last night, I understand now.” I added, smiling gently. “It was very beautiful.”

            The Beast placed down her fork and sighed. She rubbed her beak, preparing to say something. She seemed preoccupied, more withdrawn than normal. I realized I must have upset her. I opened my mouth to apologize when the Beast finally spoke. “Your kind words are appreciated, Marius. And it has been very long since I’ve had guests.” The Beast waited, gathering herself. “But when I play, I request that you remain in your room.”

            “I only wanted to see you play. If I intruded, I meant no offense.” I said, apologetic.

            “My power can be…unpredictable. There are things that could harm you if you are not careful.” The Beast said gravely. “And you could see things not meant for you.”

            Like memories, I thought. I locked the thought somewhere deep. “I understand.” I answered.

Her eyes flashed like bright blue stars. “Swear to me.” She clutched her cane and struck it against the floor with a great clack. “Swear that you will listen to me.” Her gaze was harsh and authoritarian.

I bristled at her intensity. I had struck something by venturing into the past. The fear I had felt towards the Beast returned faintly. “I swear,” I said, bowing my head.

The Beast nodded, her gaze softening. We continued eating. Unbeknownst to her, my curiosity had already begun tempting me.

           



© 2023 C.S. Williams


Author's Note

C.S. Williams
General thoughts.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

43 Views
Added on July 12, 2023
Last Updated on July 12, 2023
Tags: fantasy, fairy tale, beauty and the beast, romance, gender swap, family drama, romantic fantasy, gender swap fairy tale, love, love story


Author

C.S. Williams
C.S. Williams

Sterling, VA



About
I'm haunted by visions of people and places I don't know, but would like to meet someday. So, why not write about them? more..

Writing
One One

A Chapter by C.S. Williams


Two Two

A Chapter by C.S. Williams


Three Three

A Chapter by C.S. Williams