Blue Rose and Raven: The Beast's Coda

Blue Rose and Raven: The Beast's Coda

A Chapter by C.S. Williams
"

Our conclusion.

"

In truth, I cannot say for certain how long I was alone. In the first few years of my isolation, time slowed to a crawl, for the sun never shined and the clocks stopped. I first wandered the halls of that great empty place, my eyes filled with tears and my throat aching from crying. The servants were at my beck and call, yet I could not properly see them. As part of the curse which my untethered emotions placed upon this land, I desired nothing more than to be alone. I received my wish in a twisted way, for I truly felt alone. I bore the animal of my family’s crest upon my face in mockery of my failure as one of them. I could never be what they wanted me to be. I was born lame, different, difficult as Father would call me. No matter what I did, I was unworthy. There was nothing to love or accept. So when I accepted this about myself, I decided I would live apart from the world.

            Until one fateful winter’s night when a shivering desperate mother seeking refuge from monsters of my deepest nightmares came to my door. The feelings this intrusion awakened were not unlike the sun to the snow outside: a transformative power which began a change in me. It was with her that I realized which I missed all these years. I wanted someone who did not know me to speak to me again, who did not need to know anything of my past or whatever terrible things I felt about myself. True, my trickery of her was borne of selfishness. But I couldn’t think of any other way. I half expected no one to come, my request being as ridiculous as it was. I would’ve told her the truth and let her go after a few days.

            Instead, I received him. The slight, dark haired, dark eyed young man whose smile lit up my world. He who entrusted me with his heart. He who saw the pain of my past and did not flinch. Who captured the beauty of a bird I thought ugly. The gentle and the kind man who gave me my music back.

            For a year after my spell was broken, in keeping with my word I travelled the world. I saw the far East to the southern tip of Italy and the coast of North Africa. I ventured through the mountains of Eastern Europe and the desolate beautiful wastes of the far north of Norway. I stopped in exotic cities and met fascinating people. There is so much in the world that I have not yet seen, which I have missed in my isolation. How much time I wasted in waiting.

            Each time I came home between trips, I watched Amersot flourish. Slowly, it became a haven for artists and creatives alike. The manor slowly became something of a schoolhouse for other enchanters in the creative arts where artists of different persuasions taught others on the great mysteries so the youth of tomorrow could bring their inspiration to others across the world. I even performed for guests when I was present. My music flowed beautiful and perfectly, as it was always meant to.

            Marius became the painter he always dreamt of being as well as a teacher. His Peacock series of paintings became renowned the world over. And if his students’ comments about him told me anything, his mentor was somewhere smiling down on him.

            As for the rest of the family, they all live together here happily. The family’s trading company has flourished. The fine silks they import are a common fixture around town now. They are quite beautiful. Connie teaches woodworking. Caesar is proving to be a talented little sculptor. Genny and Elaine make the greatest pastries in the entire kingdom.

            Everything was indeed perfect. That is, except for one detail.

 

            Winter’s breath filled the air with a comfortable chill. Snow dusted every bench and statue and hedge. My breath hung in the air as I walked through the garden. I followed the set of footprints. The concert ended hours ago. The guests had all returned home. And those staying in the manor were somewhere else in its cavernous walls. We were alone in the garden, as we used to be. Everything was going according to plan.

            The thick fur within my coat shielded me from the coat, its bright white contrasting sharply with the deep black of the rest of the fabric. I chose instead to forgo the feather patterns, as I had grown tired of them. I decided to shed several of my family’s accoutrements for the time being. I wished to be human.

            He sat on a bench, bathed in blue light from the lanterns. He was silently sketching to himself on a pad of paper. His blue and green coat, sewn with patterns of a peacock, was bright against the stark snow. His wild brown hair was tied back in a small ponytail. His soulful brown eyes stared intently at his paper. His elegant fingers danced along the paper, his pencil a blur of motion.

            “I see I’ve kept you waiting for too long.” I said, breaking the silence.

            He stopped drawing and looked up. “It wasn’t too long.” He placed down his pad and beamed. “The concert was magnificent as always.” He slid to one side of the bench.

            “Thank you, Marius,” I replied, sitting down beside him. “I always aim to impress.”

            He nodded. Together we sat and watched the night air. All that was heard for a time as the gently blowing wind.

            “Marius, I have had much time to think while I have been away,” I finally said, gathering my courage. “About the recent past. About us.”

            “And what have your thoughts revealed?” He asked.

            “The enchantment on this place was a product of wild and untamed magic. It came from a primal place. A place of pure emotion.” I said, gesturing to the garden. “Something deep inside me changed everything around me into what I felt inside.”

            “I understand that much,” He replied. “Though it’s still very strange.”

            “I believed myself incapable of change, unworthy of anything besides scorn or revulsion. I wished to remain in the dark forever, unseen, and unloved.” I turned to face him. The firelight danced in his eyes. “Until you came. And I’ve puzzled why that happened.”

            “It was true love, obviously,” Marius answered with a smile. “I’ve read that story before.”

            “It was love, to an extent.” I said, deadly serious. “But it was more than that. It was the love you carried in you from your kin which lived in you. A love which animates everything you do. And through that love, you gave me the strength to love myself.” I clasped his hand tightly. It was warm to the touch. “That was what broke the spell. You made me believe that I could be loved. I was afraid of it at first, afraid the feeling it gave me. But even when I ran away, you came to find me and comforted me when my heart couldn’t endure what stewed within me.”

            “Why would I ever give up on someone I loved?” He said, clutching my hand tightly.

            “It is not in your nature,” I said, staring intently into his eyes. “I think that is why I love you Marius.”

            “And I love you,” He answered, the corners of his eyes growing damp. “I love you so much.”

            “Then I ask for you to fulfill one request,” I said, reaching into my coat pocket. Between my fingers was a ring studded with shining diamonds. The torchlight made the ends of the stones glitter with beautiful prismatic colors.

            His eyes grew large. He drew a hand to his mouth in shock. Tears fell from his eyes. “I�"I don’t know what to say.”

            “I only ask that you remain by my side for as long as you are able, for a world without you is a darker place.” I said, swallowing a lump in my throat. My own eyes were wet already, and yet my smile was joyful. “You are the light of my life, Marius Dufresne. So I ask you this one question: Will you marry me?”


 

 

 

And they lived happily…

Well, you know the rest.

 

 

    The End



© 2023 C.S. Williams


Author's Note

C.S. Williams
General thoughts. For anyone reading this, I hope you enjoyed it.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

52 Views
Added on August 25, 2023
Last Updated on August 25, 2023
Tags: fantasy, fairy tale, beauty and the beast, romance, gender swap, family drama, romantic fantasy, gender swap fairy tale, love


Author

C.S. Williams
C.S. Williams

Sterling, VA



About
I'm haunted by visions of people and places I don't know, but would like to meet someday. So, why not write about them? more..

Writing
One One

A Chapter by C.S. Williams


Two Two

A Chapter by C.S. Williams


Three Three

A Chapter by C.S. Williams