Blue Rose and Raven: Chapter Twenty-One

Blue Rose and Raven: Chapter Twenty-One

A Chapter by C.S. Williams
"

Marius goes to find the Beast in a stunning finale.

"

            In my dream, the woods are impenetrable. Everything is dark, darker than night should be. Branches like grabbing hands reached for me, tugging at my face and clothing. Bright eyes of things with yellow teeth and flashing claws watch and growl from the dark. The moon is distant in the sky, a little white coin against blackness. There are no stars.

            I’m searching for something, trying to find my way. But everything is so dark, so hard to see. The air is cold. The wind bites my cheeks. My eyes burn. I have been searching for a long time, in between running from the beasts, and wandering aimlessly. I am tired. I am hungry. I know what I am searching for is close. I feel I am circling it, drawing ever closer to the center but always losing my way as soon as I’ve found it.

            Finally, through the twisted dead branches, I see a familiar blue star. I trudge through the brush with my last bit of strength. If I die now, at least I know I will have found my destination. Nothing will stop me.

            The blue star fades into view. It’s a bright flame contained in a steel lantern. I nearly burst into tears of happiness. I’ve found it. I’ve actually found it after so long. It wasn’t all a bad dream.

            As my eyes wander from the top of the lantern, I notice two shapes illuminated in the blue light. One is a giant stone horse standing silently still. Its body is smooth, its giant eyes closed. The second is the body of a person covered in a black cloak sprawled on the ground. I cautiously approach the person, terrified of what may await me. I slowly draw the hood away from the face.

            The bleached white skull of a bird stares hollow-eyed at me. Its head lolls lazily to the side. Its cloak, slightly open, reveals a mess of bones and dust. I try to hold the skull in my hands. But as I touch it, the skull turns to dust.

 

            I threw myself from my dream, heart pounding against my chest. I hyperventilated for several seconds before catching my breath. My body shook violently. I wiped sweat from my brow with a sleeve. The dream still lingered in my mind like an open wound, utterly terrible and real. I clutched my chest, trying to make sense of whatever madness my psyche just conjured.

            Outside, winds howled in the night air. Trees shook angrily from the squalling weather. Leaves and trees carried by the winds flew, some tapping the windows before moving on. Beside the winds were other howls: the howls of wolves and other monstrous animals, large and vicious and hungry. The sounds were close, like we’d heard in the cottage.

            Something is wrong, I declared to myself. She is in danger.

            Try as I might, I couldn’t listen to her last request. But I didn’t care. I would find that manor again and help the Beast. If I did one thing right in my life, it would be this.

            With steely determination, I threw on my travelling clothes. I grabbed a lantern and some oil as well as a spare knife. Knowing what lurked in those woods, I needed protection. I ran downstairs to get my coat and boots when a familiar voice stopped me. “Where do you think you’re going?” Mother demanded, standing in the stairwell with her arms crossed.

            “I can’t delay, Mother. I need to leave now.” I said as I strapped on my boots.

            “You’re going to find her, aren’t you,” Mother said flatly. “You can’t be serious, Marius. Not again. You just got home.”

            “Look outside. She mentioned to me about her magic being untamed, erratic. I think that’s why it’s so cold here sometimes. It’s her power that alters the woods and the weather here. I think she’s in trouble, Mother. She needs help.”

            No!” Mother shouted suddenly. I jumped. “You are not leaving again!” She descended the stairs and came to me. Her face was a mask of anger, but her eyes were filled with concern and sadness. “I am not losing you again.”

            I sighed, standing and looked her directly in the eyes. Normally I would’ve been afraid to confront anyone directly, especially my own mother. I never considered myself powerful and strong of spirit. This was different. I knew what I had to do. There was someone who was deeply important to me who needed help, and I would help them at any cost. This was worth confronting and disobeying my mother, no matter how much I didn’t want to do it. “I’m not losing her.” I said bluntly.

            Mother’s eyes widened as realization, then narrowed in disbelief. “Oh my God,” She whispered. “You’re in love with her.”

            I blinked, gobsmacked. “What?” I asked.

            “Only someone in love would do something so foolish.” Mother replied, shaking her head. She brought her hands to her temples and grunted in frustration. “Why did God give much such frustrating children?!”

            “What’s going on?” Connie’s voice said from atop the stairwell. “Marius, what are you doing?” Beside him stood Camille with Caesar beside her and August behind them both.

            “Your brother is in love. He wants to see his Beast again.” Mother said, exasperated.

            “You can’t be serious?” August said. “You’re out of your mind.”

            “I am,” I answered. “And I am completely sane, I assure you. Now if you’ll all excuse me.” I stepped to the door.

            “Wait!” Mother called. “Just a moment.”

            “Mother, I don’t have time to�"” I began.

            “If you’re leaving, going out into those woods again on your own, you won’t last a minute.” She grabbed a coat from the rack and tied her long hair back. “I am going with you.”

            I sighed heavily. You’re not letting this go, are you?”

            “As my son, you are my responsibility. If it means getting yourself killed over someone, then so be it. Your father did plenty of stupid things out of love, so I have plenty of experience with this.” She huffed as she put on her own pair of boots.

            I watched Connie and Camille exchange silent looks. The way he looked at her and his son always touched me, and subconsciously I knew what he was thinking. “I’m going too.” Connie declared.

Camille’s jaw locked, then she nodded. “Promise you’ll be back by morning. If not, I will forever curse your name.”

 “I promise, Cami.” Connie said, sharing a short but passionate kiss with Camille. He bent down and hugged Caesar. “Papa’s going to help Uncle Marius for a bit, little king. I’ll be back before you know it.”

“Hurry home, papa,” Caesar said, squeezing his father’s neck with his little arms. My nephew wandered over to me and hugged my leg. “Come home soon,” he said.

“I will,” I said, rubbing Caesar’s hair. He broke his embrace and ran back to Camille.

“Then that leaves me,” August sighed. “I’m coming too, why not? I’m no different in my stupidity.”

“You’re farthest from stupid, August.” I assured him.

With our party assembled, we left the house shortly afterwards. We quickly gathered bandages as well as tinder and flint for starting a fire. Connie carried a loaded hunting rifle and a torch. August also carried a torch with a small knife strapped to his belt. Mother and I carried lanterns. We trudged out into the howling night, desperate to keep our coats from billowing upward as we convened by the giant raven statue.

Over the winds, we struggled to hear ourselves speak. “How are we supposed to find this place?” Mother shouted at me.

“We rode into town on a stone horse. It looked like it was following markers on a trail. If we find the trail, then we’ll find the way to the manor.” I shouted back.

“But it’s been years since anyone’s ever been to this place. How would we even know where to look? We could get lost in the woods in an instant!” August shouted.

This was true. I did pay attention to the ride here, but I couldn’t remember the location of every single marker on the trail to the manor. That was nearly impossible for anyone. There had to be an answer. I looked to the giant raven statue, scrutinizing it. In the excessive wind and gloom, the statue looked even more imposing and forbidden. The darkness made the masses of thorns and vines covering it appear wrapped in frayed barbed wire. Then I noticed tiny blue shapes shining against the dark. I lowered my lantern and took a few steps back. Sure enough, the roses were glowing. I smiled to myself and turned back to my family. “The roses will lead the way,” I said, motioning to the vines. “They shine in the dark.”

The trio took a moment to observe the glowing flowers. Then Mother patted my shoulder. “Lead the way,” she commanded.

 

            The forest itself seemed fit to keep us from reaching our destination. That was expected of course. Yet at the same time, I never realized how cluttered and difficult it was to navigate the forest from atop the stone horse. Mother’s account of her flight into the woods last winter was nothing compared to the real thing. In addition to the winds rocking branches and throwing detritus into our faces, we could barely see in front of ourselves without the lanterns’ light. Branches scratched at our coats and nicked our faces. Piles of leaves and rotted trunks collapsed underfoot, revealing hidden holes or pitfalls which nearly dragged us all down. The ever-present howling of the creatures, those conjured guards of the Beast drew ever closer. I knew they caught our scent and were following us. At the same time, we held together as a single unit as I searched through the dark for the faint glow of the flowers. The darkness and thickness of the forest challenged my vision, but despite the circumstances the unmistakable glow of the roses shined like a signal fire. Each marker we found was covered in thorny vines with rows of blooming flowers. From their size, the flowers must have just come into bloom. New roses which had not bloomed in years, finally returning to life. A small tinge of hope warmed my heart at that thought.

            I could not tell how long our journey was taking us. Time didn’t matter in this place anyway, considering the sun never rose in the Beast’s domain. I prayed we wouldn’t be too late. If my dream was any indication, she was dying. That is, if she hadn’t died already. I dreaded the possibility.

            Our configuration was rough but functional: Connie brought up the rear with his rifle with August beside him, meanwhile Mother and I made up the front. I didn’t know what we would do if my brothers went down first. We stayed very close, with the two following on the front’s heels. If we lost track of each other out here, we’d be good as dead.

            After descending a hill, we found ourselves at a small clearing. We stopped for a moment as I looked around for the next marker and to catch our breath. The lantern’s light washed the faces of my family. They were all gleaming with sweat, faces covered in dirt, exhausted. I no doubt looked the same. I began to worry whether this mission would mean our end. Connie leaned on the rifle, using it as a makeshift crutch. August blew out great heavy breaths, bent hands on his knees. Mother seemed the least visibly uncomfortable, though her cheeks were traced with small red cuts. They all looked to me with a mix of exhaustion and determination. I was their guide in this place. This all depended on me.

            Then in the dark, I saw a wonderfully familiar sight: in the distance was a dot of blazing blue light. When I focused my vision, I could make out a steel lantern.

            At that same time, a pair of glowing eyes appeared in the dark behind Connie. Then two more behind August. Soon innumerable eyes, something like evil stars, filled the night around us. Their predatory guttural growls were all we could hear for a moment. Instinctively, we all bunched together, back-to-back.

            “What’s our next move?” Mother hissed, her shoulder pressing into mine.

            “The manor is just ahead,” I said, pointing past the horde of beasts. “I don’t know how we’re supposed to get past these things, though.”

            Connie’s rifle clicked. “We need to clear a path.” He looked at August. “Is your flint ready?”

            August nodded. “Always, brother.” He produced flint and steel from his pocket and began drawing it across his torch. Sparks leaped from the metal before finding purchase in the wrapped bundle at the end of the torch. Instantly the ball of cloth ignited into a blazing star of orange and red. August shared the fire with Connie, whose own torch blazed into light. As the firelight gained purchase, the ugly faces of the beasts were visible to see. They were like wolves, but larger and meaner and gaunt in appearance. Their paws were akin to human hands covered in hair with long claws. Vile black droll oozed from their mouths. Their lips peeled back to reveal black rotted gums. The creatures were like something out of a nightmare, a horrific exaggeration of a wolf. And if there were so many of them here, then we were close.  

            We stood surrounded, weapons and torches drawn. For a spell, neither group dared move. They seemed to be testing us. They wanted to see if we would flinch. Meanwhile, my group held firm.

            “Why aren’t they attacking us?” August said, shaking hands holding the torch.

            “The torches,” Mother said. “Look, some of them are cowering.” She pointed to the creatures closest to the light. They were backing away, milky eyes averting from the light. “They hate the light.”

            “We’ll distract them, then run to the lantern.” I said. “But how are we supposed to distract them?”

            “These things should have attacked by now.” Connie observed. “They’re cowardly.”

            “That’s a bit of a jump,” August chided.

            “When I fire my gun, we follow Marius.” Connie ordered. “We head straight for the light.”

            “What are you planning, Constantine?” Mother demanded.

            “A hope and prayer,” Connie said. He raised his rifle, then lifted it into the air and fired. The gunshot cracked the air like thunder and made me jump. At the rifle’s firing, the pack of creatures instantly cowered and momentarily lost their formation. Their dark shapes scattered slightly into the night. A path to the manor opened to us. “Go!” Connie yelled.

            Instantly we all dashed to the blue light. The creatures not disoriented from the gunshot immediately tore after us. I dashed as fast as I could, adrenaline fueling what little strength I had left. Connie and August followed behind waving their torches back and forth, smacking a few in the process and sending them tumbling. Mother followed behind me, though I dared not look behind me as I kept running. The path to the manor seemed to stretch on and on, a never-ending corridor of trees ahead and monsters behind. It all resembled a nightmare. The sense of eternally seeking a destination only for it to always remain out of reach, meanwhile your worst fear is nipping at one’s heels. This time, it was my family as well as my own life at stake. Shots pealed behind me reminded me more of that.

            My features suddenly washed blue as the manor finally hardened into view. Mother followed me soon after. Then August. “Where’s Connie?” I asked August, both of us heaving with exhaustion. “Did you see him?”

            August’s head turned wildly from us, then to the dark beyond the blue light. He’d lost his torch. Through the dark, there was no other light visible. The howls of the creatures sounded in the distance. I feared the worst.

Hurried footsteps and crunching of branches. Then a shape of a very tired, very alive man faded into view. Connie, sans a rifle and torch, arrived at our feet. Remarkably he was mostly unharmed save for a few stray burn marks and claw marks on his coat. He cracked a smile as he nearly collapsed to his knees. “Are we alright? Did it work?” He asked wryly.

Immediately we all piled on and embraced him. We sat there in a great bear hug. Our collective exhaustion meant little if we were together. My big brothers and my mother were all here. We’d made it.

I stood and dusted myself off, turning toward the manor. Faint images of my dream came back to me. Behind me, I heard expressions of disbelief from my family. Ignoring them, I ventured closer to the lantern. There was the stone horse standing perfectly still. There was a cloaked figure on the ground. Acting on pure instinct I rushed to the Beast’s laying form. My family rushed after me as I drew the hood from the Beast’s head. She was not a skeleton, but her face had somehow lost color. The strange dark blues of her feathers were grayer, the scaly black skin ashen. Her breath was weak. Her bright eyes were half closed and glassy.

            Oh God, I thought, checking her pulse. It was dangerously weak. Please don’t let me be too late.

            I took her head and placed it in my lap. My family sat beside me as I cradled the Beast’s head. With labored breaths, the Beast’s eyelids slid open. She looked at Mother, then August, then Connie, until finally looking at me. “You came back,” She said weakly. “Why? I�"told you to forget�"”

            “I could never forget you.” I said, gently stroking her feathers. “You’ve made it too hard.”

            She raised her hand to mine, squeezing it. Her grip was very weak. “You came all this way? All of you?”

            “At his request.” Mother said, placing a hand on my shoulder. “We wouldn’t be here if wasn’t for him.”

            “Someone had to make sure he came home,” Connie added. August nodded in agreement.

            The Beast grunted. Each breath she drew in grew weaker and weaker.

            “Don’t speak.” I said, barely holding back tears. “Save your breath.”

            “But why?” The Beast repeated, her words barely audible. “Why did you come back?”

            I had to stop delaying myself any longer. I hadn’t realized it until Mother told me to my face. It was something I should’ve known all along, but as usual I was too buried in myself to admit or understand it. Now was my one chance. “I came back because I love you, Beast.” Tears rolled down my cheeks as the words finally left me. The words were difficult yet freeing at the same time.

            The corners of the Beast’s beak curled up into a weak smile. Her glassy eyes stared lovingly up at me. There was wonderment and admiration in her gaze. “Oh,” She managed, still smiling. “So that’s how it feels.” Then her face took on a peaceful expression as her eyes slowly closed. Her hand slipped from mine and fell to the ground. Finally, her pulse stopped. She was gone.

            I began to weep. I held the Beast’s head close to my chest. I couldn’t control the sobs which escaped my body. I didn’t want to. Another person I cared about was gone and there was nothing I could do, again. So I would do the one thing I knew would matter. I would weep for another loved one lost.

            I lost all awareness of the world around me as I wept. I collapsed inward, locking out everything else. I barely noticed the many hands of Mother and my brothers slowly encircling and embracing me and surrounding me as I cradled the Beast’s body. I would’ve fallen into myself again. But they were there to keep me from straying too far. At least they would keep me from succumbing to despair. It would not bring the Beast back, bring Duchanne back, bring my father back. I was too accustomed to loss now.

            Then somewhere, high above and far away, a great bell began to toll.

            It rang once, twice, three times, and kept tolling at a continuous pace. The strangeness of it was enough to make me look up, searching for its source. I barely remembered something about a bell tower, not that any of that mattered anymore.

            Then soon after the bell, the winds grew stronger and stronger, accelerating with each successive tolling of the bell. More sticks and leaves whipped up and through the air. Dust and other particles stung my eyes and skin. I let go of the Beast as I drew my face into my coat. Connie shielded us with his own body, as did August and Mother. We covered ourselves as the storm gathered in force. The screaming of the wind rose and rose until it reached a terrible fever pitch. I covered my ears and shut my eyes, awaiting the worst.

            Then, without warning, the wind stopped.

            There were birds chirping. Warmth on my skin. I opened my eyes.

            A bright morning sky spread overhead. The sun shined with awesome radiance. a clear path unmarred by trees or gnarled branches laid at the head of the manor. There were scores of flowers of every conceivable color and shape growing in small gardens and around the walls and fences. The façade of the manor too no longer looked brooding and imposing, but rather pleasant and old. The ivy and flowers growing along the walls gave it that nicer touch, I felt.

            We all stared around in disbelief, utterly captivated, and confused as to make of it all. We had just experienced several miracles and a nightmare in the span of a single night. What more could the world throw at us?

            “Marius,” a familiar voice said. I turned in its direction.

            My eyes were still adjusting to the brightness of the sun. There was someone coming toward me. I blinked several times to focus my vision. Finally, my eyes adjusted. Before me stood a tall woman dressed in a strange, beautiful dress of black interconnected feather designs with a cloudlike fabric studded with silver stars around her collar. She was barefoot with a slightly bent right leg, the same side for which she used her cane. On her pale delicate fingers were small rings and jewelry which resembled bird talons. Her right hand lacked a little finger. Her face was statuesque and finely formed. Her skin was pale and perfect like fallen snow, her short hair was black as pitch, and her lips were red like holly. Small black feathers stuck out from one side of her hair. Her eyes were an unearthly blue, glowing brightly even in the light of the sun. The woman was, by all accounts, impossibly beautiful.

            I stared for a long time, both confused and entranced at her appearance. I’d never seen anyone so beautiful in my life. I knew it must’ve been obvious how I was staring. I felt foolish and looked at my feet.

            “Look at me,” she commanded in a low soft voice like velvet. I obeyed and looked into her eyes. Her expression was nervous. “Do you recognize me, Marius?”

            I studied her beautiful features, trying to make sense of it. She was so radiant she seemed to glow in the light. It was hard to look at her for too long. I thought I would go blind. I looked again into her brilliant blue eyes. It was there I recognized her.

            “You look�"different without a beak.” was what I managed to say.

            The Beast’s fearful features broke into a brilliant smile as she threw her hands around me and kissed my forehead. I did the same, overflowing with joy that she was alive and here with me again. I could’ve stayed embracing her all day I was so happy. “What happened?” I asked, gently touching her face. “Why are you...human?”

            “I’m not sure! All I know is that I feel alive for the first time in years!” She kissed me again. “All thanks to you! And you�"” The Beast looked to Mother, who stood idly with Connie and August. Connie looked on with something like pride in his features while August was laughing to himself. Mother in turn watched my reunion with amusement. “I must apologize for my behavior, Madame. I am truly sorry for the harm I have visited upon your family,” The Beast addressed Mother, bowing her head in shame. “My actions were terribly rash. I wish to make any reparations if I can.”

            “No, no, that’s quite alright,” Mother answered, waving her hand dismissively. “It appears excessive apologetics are one of the things you and my son share in common.” She laughed.

            The Beast nervously slid her fingers around the head of her cane. “Then, all is forgiven?” She asked.

            “All is forgiven,” Mother said with a smirk. “You truly can’t judge a bird for its feathers.”

            “Oh brother,” August grumbled. Connie laughed at his brother’s distress.

            “What do you want to do now?” I asked the Beast.

            The Beast opened her mouth to speak when a familiar jolly voice shouted from the distance. “Mistress!” We all whirled in its direction. Finley and an entire host of servants were running out onto the lawn, jumping, and hugging each other in joy and relief. “You’re human again!” He touched his face. “We’re not statues! The sun’s out again It’s a miracle! A miracle!” He turned to me with eyes wild with excitement. “You had something to do with this, didn’t you? Whatever you did, you did it with flying colors young sir!” He ruffled my hair. “Oh, I’ve never missed the sun so!” Finley crowed. When his eyes fell on my family’s awkward expressions regarding him, he sat up straight and readjusted his hat. “Ahem. Finley. I am a faithful servant of the Mistress.” He motioned to the Beast, who was smiling and blushing. “You all look quite worn out. Would you care for some freshening up? Our facilities are well equipped.” He jerked his head at the massive crowd of servants in clean white garb standing at attention with bright happy faces.

            I exchanged glances with the Beast, then my family. From the bedraggled state of our clothes and faces, it was no secret that we accepted the offer.

 

The interior of the manor was even more beautiful in daylight. It was exactly as I saw it in the Beast’s dream-memory: Shining marble pillars; polished tiled floors; silver and gold lining every decoration. I always thought the dream was somehow distorted from reality, but it was all real.

            We left our washrooms with clean bodies and clothes. Mother and my brothers’ smiling faces were clean and shining. Our clothes were the finest we’d ever seen: Connie with a crimson jacket and black trousers; August with a purple overcoat and brown pants sewn with gold embroidery; Mother in a silver and grey gown and fine black boots; And I wore a blue coat with yellow and purple patterns, mimicking the eye-patterns of a peacock. We kept pace with the Beast, whose gait seemed stronger and surer than before. She walked tall and proud, chin up as she breathed in the sweet air and basked in the sunlight that now filtered through the windows.

What we didn’t expect to see were the giant front doors wide open and a massive crowd of villagers enter the manor. The once silent halls echoed with bubbling conversation and awed gasps. By the sea of bodies, nearly the entire population of Amersot were present. There were elderly farmers with their hats in their hands. There were mothers with their children, hugging them close and gawking in amazement. Entire generations of families to humble individuals who were eking out lives now stood in a place which seemed straight out of their wildest dreams. There was shock and surprise, but there was also joy and jubilation in the air. It was Grandma said: the bell tower would call them back. They were just waiting for it to ring again.

“Papa!” Caesar appeared from the crowd with his outstretched. Connie immediately grabbed and picked him up.

“Oooh come here, little one!” Connie extolled, hugging his son. His eyes brightened further at the sight of Camille running up to him. She clutched him tight. “I told you I wouldn’t make you a widow.” He said, eyes beaming with love for his wife and son.

“Oh, shut up,” Camille said as she grabbed him and kissed him hard. He leaned back at the force of the action, struggling to hold onto Caesar before Camille finally released her grip.

            While Connie and Camille kissed, a young man approached us. He was tall, blond, and handsomely. He had blue eyes and a strong jawline. I immediately recognized his face: it was the face of Benoit. But this one was older. Markus, I noted. He absentmindedly looked around at the people before his eyes settled collectively on us. “Oh,” he said. His voice was light and kind, a far cry from his father or younger brother. “How do you do? You must be August’s family.”

            “Hello Markus,” August said, turning his chin up. “Interesting seeing you here.”

            “Who is this, Augustus?” Mother asked.

            “He’s no one to me, Mother,” August said dismissively. “Ignore him.”

            “I need to tell you something, August,” Markus said, stepping forward.

            “Leave me. You made your decision,” August retorted. “You have forgotten me, so I shall return the favor.”

            “Stop it, you stubborn mule!” Markus snapped suddenly. We all jumped in shock at the outburst. Composing himself, he continued. “August, I came to ask for your forgiveness. I couldn’t bear to be apart from you after so long, so I told Father about you, about us. And, well�"” Markus’ voice trailed astray before he found it again. “When the storm occurred, he left with Alex. He thought it was a sign of the End Times and decided it was best to leave the town once and for all. I’ve nowhere to go. And before he left, he told me to leave and never return.” Markus winced at the recollection. “I was a fool to leave you. I’m tired of hiding my feelings for you. I ask you only to forgive my stupidity, and that we may start over.” He looked with deep pleading in his eyes at my brother.

            August stared for a long while into Markus, his eyes hooded and judging. My brother tended to scrutinize things closest in all aspects of his life. As for matters of the heart, I scarcely imagined what occupied his thoughts. Being the only one of the family who knew of this affair, I held my breath for the outcome.

            “Then let us start today,” August said, his scrutinizing gaze melting into love as Markus broke into a smile. The two men ran to each other as they embraced and kissed one another. I looked on happily as my family watched in amazement.

            “You didn’t tell me you had a love life,” Connie said.

            “I do have a private life,” August fired back, smirking. Markus stood beside him, their hands clasped together.

            “An explanation is in order at some point,” Mother said with crossed arms. “But I am very happy for you, Augustus.” August answered with a crooked grin.

“Marius!” A familiar voice sounded among the crowd. Elaine appeared out of the crowd and embraced me. Beside her came the loud panting and bulky body of Eloise beside her, the dog sticking to Elaine’s side like glue. “It was incredible! There was this terrible storm, we thought the world was coming to end. Then the sky opened, and the forest was clear!” She gestured at the air, parting her hands about her hands. “She was right! I can’t believe it, but Grandma was right!” She looked to Mother and my brothers. “What are you all doing here?”

“That is a tale in itself,” Mother said, casting a glance at me. “But you can thank Marius. Without him, none of us would be here.” I gently blushed at her comment.

“Hello, Mademoiselle,” The Beast said, stretching out a hand. “A pleasure to see you again.”

Elaine’s eyes widened in shock as she recognized the now human face of the Beast. “Oh my God,” she said, taking the Beast’s ringed hand. Elaine was at a loss for words for a moment. “How do you do, Madame?” She made a small curtsy. “I apologize, I am not in the best attire.”

“Barely anyone is here,” The Beast said, chuckling. “It’s quite alright.” She bent down to pet Eloise, who jumped and stole a lick from the Beast.

“Elaine! Elaine! Where are you?” Grandma’s voice came through the crowd. The wiry form of the elder DeRose pushed through the sea of bodies. “There you are! I almost lost you. Don’t run off like that, young lady.”

“Grandma! Marius and his family were here! They broke the spell! You were right, it was all real! The stories, the tower, everything!” Elaine exclaimed, utterly ecstatic. “They did it!”

“See? I told you, young lady.” Grandma chided. “Listen to your grandma once and a while.” She looked us over, observing our new clothes. Her furrowed brow creased further wrinkles into her brow “Very impressive works, there. They must cost a fortune.” Soon her eyes moved to the Beast. Grandma’s eyes scanned up and down the Beast’s form, scrutinizing every beautiful detail. “And you.” Grandma’s hard gaze softened. “I know you.”

The Beast cocked her head in confusion. “Have we met before? I cannot remember.”

“Wait,” Grandma wagged a finger around her head. “Something’s coming back�"” She tapped her temple gently. Then her eyes lit up. “Yes,” Grandma said, realization dawning.

“It was told that your family worked in the manor at some point in the past,” The Beast said. “I apologize if I cannot remember.”

“You don’t need to apologize for anything.” Grandma replied. “I never thought I’d ever seen you again.”

“What do you mean?”

“80 years is so much time. You have no idea,” Grandma said, eyes growing misty. “Your magic tried, but I could never forget about you.”

The Beast swallowed. “Who are you?”

“It’s me, Auntie.” Grandma said with arms outstretched. “I’m home.”

“Genevieve.” The Beast whispered. Her hand raised to her mouth as she choked back a sob. “Oh Genny�"” She burst into tears, and she hugged the elderly woman like a mother embracing her child as the others looked on. It suddenly occurred to me the truth of what I just witnessed: The little child I glimpsed in the Beast’s past was now the old woman standing before her and embracing her. In my mind, the pieces all fell into place. The Beast’s spell hid the manor and her very existence from the village, from the world. But despite its best efforts, this spell. couldn’t completely excise the singular love of a young child. It stayed like a seed within Genevieve’s heart, waiting for another summer. Now, against all odds, the seed bloomed again.

 

A welcoming home dinner party was hastily prepared for the new guests of the manor. The tables in the dining hall, once solemn and alone, was now set for the entire village. Servants and villagers alike sat together. There was laughter and joy and mirth in the air. What terrible solemnity which this place had known was far away. At one end of the table sat myself, the Beast, and the entire family: August with Markus; Connie with Camille and Caesar; and Elaine with Genevieve. We discussed the future, which no longer felt so terrible to imagine. In fact, it felt full of possibility, full of hope.

“I shall provide whatever I can for this village for as long as I live,” The Beast proclaimed to us. “And this shall be a place of generosity and kindness. My house is open to all now. I think I am finished with hiding from the world.”

“May we live here as well?” Elaine said, feeding a bit of chicken to Eloise.

“Of course,” The Beast said with a kind expression. “You are my niece’s daughter as well as a dear friend. This house is open to all of you.” She made a sweeping gesture to the family.

“And what of you, Beast?” I asked. “What do you plan to do?”

“I wish to see the world. I have been cloistered here for too long. As what you suggested, Marius, I must leave my home and see the outside.” She laid a delicate hand on mine. “I would not have done this without you.”

“It is an honor to know that Beast.” I said, heart filling my chest.

“That goes for all of you,” The Beast said to my family. “Without your kindness, I would not be here now.” She stood and held her fine chin high. “Let this be a lesson for all: That even in the darkest place, there is a way forward. We need only extend a hand to lead each other, for we all could be someone else’s hope!” The banquet hall resounded with a great toast and clashing of glasses as the celebration continued onward.



© 2023 C.S. Williams


Author's Note

C.S. Williams
General thoughts.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

31 Views
Added on August 25, 2023
Last Updated on August 25, 2023
Tags: gender swap, romance, beauty and the beast, fairy tale, love, gender swap fairy tale, romantic fantasy, family drama, fantasy


Author

C.S. Williams
C.S. Williams

Sterling, VA



About
I'm haunted by visions of people and places I don't know, but would like to meet someday. So, why not write about them? more..

Writing
One One

A Chapter by C.S. Williams


Two Two

A Chapter by C.S. Williams


Three Three

A Chapter by C.S. Williams