Blue Rose and Raven: Chapter Nineteen

Blue Rose and Raven: Chapter Nineteen

A Chapter by C.S. Williams
"

Marius and the Beast go to meet Elaine, and a confrontation occurs.

"

“There’s a good friend I would like you to meet,” I said to the Beast as we sat at the clear table. We had just finished breakfast. I helped Camille wash the dishes and silverware while the Beast sat and observed. After her sudden nervous outburst, she seemed more composed now. Though I was still wary of something that could potentially cause my guest distress again. “Though if you do not feel comfortable, then we do not have to go.”

            “That may depend on a number of things,” The Beast replied. “Will there we large crowds? I do not wish to draw any attention to myself if I can help it.”

            “I would never think to do that, Beast,” I assured her.

            The Beast grunted, then steepled her talons. “And if this ends up going poorly, do you swear we head straight back to your home? Your family has been most generous to me, but I cannot afford any adversarial relations if I am here.”

            I nodded in agreement. However, in the back of my mind, I felt myself feeling her reservations to be slightly overreactive. Then again, I reminded myself, your guest doesn’t know Elaine like you do. And your guest is a giant bird creature that you were frightened of at first glance. The Beast has every right to feel nervous. “Of course. We will not stay any longer if you wish it.”

            “Then as long as you are by my side, I will accompany you,” The Beast said, laying her hand on mine. “I trust you with all my being, Marius.” The look in her eyes convinced me of her sincerity.

 

            We walked down the street, the Beast again under the cover of invisibility. The midday sun was brightly shining, its heat banishing any morning chill from the air. Mother gave me directions from the house to Elaine’s home. Now that we were no longer on the distant end of town, the journey would be closer. It was still disorienting having to navigate the small maze of shops and homes that made up this part of town. Not nearly as large as a city, but still confusing especially considering I’d been gone for half a year. Nonetheless, the directions were clear: right at the lamppost, left at the watchmaker’s parlor, then straight past the fountain. We walked slow and steady, the Beast careful not to catch her cane on any of the cobblestones. The Beast kept a hand on my arm, meanwhile I tried my best to not look like I was being held by an invisible being. I wondered if any passerby noticed my odd posture considering the Beast’s magical cloak rendered her completely unseen, save a slight distortion of light and form if one looked hard enough. The sense of something being close enough to touch me yet completely unseen was uncanny, like being in a dark room while knowing someone else was beside you. The difference being that I knew this unseen person and I knew they meant no harm. Moreover, this person was relying on me to help them. I was the Vergil to her Dante, pardoning the grandeur of the comparison. The guide with greater knowledge than the traveler. Unfortunately, people could be unpredictable, and the very worst could happen if we were not careful. I had every intention of being careful, for the sake of my companion.

            “This place has changed greatly since I was last here,” The Beast noted as passed groups of people going about their day. “It was never so cold. I wonder why people would stay if it has been so long, despite the unpleasantness.”

            “I’m not sure of that, Beast.” I answered. “Maybe some people feel like they can’t leave. Maybe some are waiting to see the manor again.”

            “How can you be certain of that? If it were me, I would’ve left years ago.” The Beast said. “There would be nothing for me here anymore.”

            “And yet this is your first trip beyond the manor.” I reminded.

            The Beast went silent. Then she responded, “You are not wrong.”

            Soon we were at the small cottage. Sweet smelling pastries sat at a windowsill and smoke billowed from the chimney. The curtains were drawn closed, which struck as me as odd. As this morning, I asked the Beast to wait somewhere away from the door, in this case in a small side garden. I knocked on the door. Moments of silence followed. Another knock tempted me, but I decided against it. There were footsteps and movement behind the curtains. The curtains drew back to reveal a face for a split second before drawing closed again. Finally, the door opened. It was Elaine. She was wearing an apron pockmarked with stains over a homely dress. Her hair was slightly unkempt. Small bags hung under her eyes. Her brow was slick with sweat. When she first opened the door, the look on her face suggested she was expecting someone unwelcome. As her eyes drew up and down my frame, I watched her stern expression melt from suspicious to shocked. “Marius.” She said, eyes widening.
            “Good to see you again, Elaine,” I said with a smile.

            Instantly she embraced me and squeezed me tightly. I embraced her back. “Oh God, you’re home!” She said into my shoulder. “Why did you leave? Where did you go? I was so worried about you!” We separated. She was beaming with relief and joy. Her eyes were watery.

            “It’s a very long story,” I said sheepishly. “I told everyone when I came home this morning.”

            “This morning?!” Elaine said, surprised. “How long was your journey? Where did you go? Your mother said you left on a stone horse. How are you going to explain that?”

            I took a quick glance around and into the cottage. “I’ll explain everything, but I need you to trust me.”

            “What are you saying?” Elaine demanded, her eyes narrowing.

             “Please, trust me,” I pleaded. “I need only you to see this.” I craned my neck to look into the cottage again. “I’m not sure your grandmother would like who I want you to see.”

            With those last few words, understanding flickering across Elaine’s face. I knew she knew what I was talking about, to an extent. She backed into the house and began untying her apron. “Grandma, I need to check something in the garden. I’ll be right back.”

            “Make it quick. We have another batch coming soon.” M. DeRose’s voice resounded from the kitchen.

            Elaine hung her apron on a nearby hook. “Alright,” she said. “What have you gotten yourself into?”

            I beckoned her to follow me, taking another look around the street. There was no one around. We headed to the side garden. It was a small, fenced patch of green partially hidden by some bushes with little flower beds and two stone benches. The slight distortion of light on one of the benches clued me as to where the Beast was sitting. Elaine and I sat on the opposite bench. She turned to me. “Where is this mystery person, then?” She asked.

            I took a deep breath. “You can reveal yourself now,” I said to the Beast. At that, a distortion in the air that vaguely resembled a hood drew back. The Beast’s shining black cloak melted into view along with the rest of her, millions of tiny swimming particulates flowing and resetting into something visible. The Beast, now fully revealed, sat with her hands sat firmly on the head of her cane. “Pleasant greetings, Madame Elaine,” The Beast said politely, bobbing her large beak. A pleasure to finally meet you.”

            Elaine’s eyes were wide as the Beast revealed herself. When the process finished, she blinked once, twice, then swallowed hard. “Mother of God,” she said under her breath, inching back on the bench. “Who�"what are you?”

            “I call myself the Beast. I understand the people of this village consider me to be a monster of sorts.” The Beast shifted in her seat. “Considering my appearance, I don’t blame you for thinking that.”

            Elaine blinked again, her frightful expression becoming confused. “You talk very eloquently for a monster.” She looked at me, then back to the Beast. “This is why you disappeared?” She asked as if I was playing a practical joke.

            “I know, it’s a lot to take in. But just give us some time and we can explain everything,” I replied, patting Elaine’s shoulder.

            “I’m all ears,” Elaine said.

            So, as earlier, The Beast and I explained the unique situation that led us to the present moment. It felt quicker this time around, at least to me. The Beast’s tale of her troubled upbringing seemed to affect Elaine the most, as Elaine leaned in and listened intently while propping up her chin with her clasped hands. When the Beast finished her tale, she leaned against the wall. “I know this all may be difficult to take in at once, but I hope hearing it from my own lips would soften the impact, in a manner of speaking.”

            “The legends were true,” Elaine mused out loud. “Or half-true. Honestly, I thought my grandma was half mad. But to know it’s all real�"” She settled back in her seat and brushed a strand of hair from her face. “There is a bell tower at your castle?”

            “Manor, but yes.” The Beast corrected. “It has not been rung in many years.”

            “But you could ring it again, someday?”

            The Beast’s eyes became contemplative. “I could. But I don’t know who would come. As I’ve stated, it has been so long that I doubt anyone who left is even alive to return.”

            “Still, it’s good to know that it’s there, that it exists.” Elaine said, her lips curling into a smile. “This is all exciting, in a way.”

            “What is exciting?” The Beast asked.

            “That I’m talking to an actual wizard. But what’s more, a wizard who isn’t afraid to speak plainly. I haven’t heard many stories of beasts or magicians who would speak so openly about…human matters. It makes the world feel less�"” Elaine searched for the right words. “Less unknowable? I’m not sure how to describe it.”

            The Beast considered her words. “I believe I understand what you mean.”

            As I watched the exchange, whatever apprehension I felt faded away. Elaine’s initial fear of the Beast was now replaced with understanding and sympathy. The Beast in turn was also comfortable with Elaine. With each passing moment, I felt more confidence in my decision to convince the Beast to leave her home and venture into the world. It seemed to be going well, and I hoped it would remain that way.

            Suddenly a loud banging on the cottage startled us. Elaine’s face blanched in horror. “What’s wrong?” I said.

            “Alexandre.” She whispered, as if the word itself was blasphemous.

            I felt my nose and remembered the pummeling I received on our first meeting. I looked at the Beast who was already drawing her hood over her head. “This is the hellion you mentioned,” She intoned as her form slowly disappeared. “He seems most unpleasant.”

            “He’s only gotten worse since you left,” Elaine whispered harshly. “He keeps thinking we’re a couple no matter how hard I tell him.” She rubbed her face. “No matter what I say, no matter what I do, he won’t leave me alone. He keeps sending me gifts that I get rid of. I lost my job at the bakery because he convinced the head baker, I was stealing money from the coffer.” She held her face in her hands. “He wants to make a pariah out of me. And I don’t dare bring Eloise anywhere besides your house. She’s terrified of him anyway.” Her voice was panicked, shaken.

            I felt a deep well of anger brewing inside. At her words of the youngest Benoit’s actions, I imagined myself swinging my fist and breaking Alexandre’s nose as recompense for his cruel actions. I did not suffer bullies likely even though I was not one to fight back. But the thought of a family member like Elaine being harmed had lit a fuse behind my eyes which threatened to explode. At the same time, I was frustrated at the thought of any physical conflict. I was not strong or tall. There was little I could do that the Benoits would not visit a hundred-fold back upon me and my kin. It was so frustrating to feel so small.

            “He has been troubling you?” The Beast said aloud. Elaine nodded. “Then let us confront him together.” She stood to her full imposing height. The shaded spot where we sat seemed to darken further as she rose. Her bright eyes flashed with menace. The Beast motioned for us to go with a single nod as she drew her hood over her head again.

            “What if he attempts to harm us?” Elaine asked.

            “No harm will come to you,” The Beast’s voice told her.

            I gave Elaine a nervous look, who returned it with a similar look. I nodded at her as if to say whatever happens, I go with you. She seemed to understand and nodded in return. We left our hiding spot and stepped onto the street. There was Alexandre, dressed as ostentatiously as I’d first met him. He was alone. His bright red coat was trimmed with gold. His large tricorn hat held a large feather sticking out fluttering in the breeze. I realized from its brilliant patterns that it was a peacock’s feather. The younger Benoit was angrily knocking on the cottage door with a bundle of roses in hand. He rapped the door in several sudden spells in between tapping his foot impatiently and adjusting his hat. His fake mustache was redrawn and almost seemed convincing from a difference. We watched him knock on the door for a few more cycles until he finally noticed us out of the corner of his eye. “Elaine.” He said, removing his hat and bowing his head. “Good afternoon.”

            Elaine said nothing, answering with a glare.

            Alexandre returned his hat to his head. His eyes turned flitted to me. “And you.” He raised perfectly manicured eyebrows. “I didn’t expect to see you.”

            “I’m sorry for disappointing you.” I said with a sarcastic shrug.

            “Hm,” Alexandre sneered at me. He set his eyes back on Elaine. “I see you’ve been cavorting with him.” He took a step closer. “You know what I told you about being with other men.”

            “I’m not with anyone. You know that.” She said under her breath.

            “Other men are too dangerous. You need me, sweetness.” Alexandre’s lips curled into a smile. He took another step closer. “You want me. I know it.” There was a rehearsed quality to his words, as if he planned this and the past attempts at courtship. They must have gone better in his head despite each one failing if the evidence told me anything.

            “What makes you think I’d ever want you, Alexandre?”

            “I could count the ways if you want,” he said wistfully. “I own this town for one. That means, technically, I own you. And that means you belong to me. So you have to want me.”

            “Your father owns this town,” I corrected.

            Stay out of this!” He hissed suddenly at me, his eyes going feral for a moment. He returned to his calmer, rehearsed composure. “In any case, this is my last offer.” He stuck out long manicured fingers and began counting them off. “I mean, all of that money wasted on gifts, getting you out of that dreadful baker’s shop, telling any business to not bother hiring you because I would provide for you. All of this for you, and you still won’t accept it.” He shrugged with an exaggerated pout. “What am I going to do, sweetness?”

            Stop calling me sweetness.” Elaine said through gritted teeth. Her hands balled into fists. “Or I will break your jaw.”

            “Aww, you think you can?” Alexandre cooed. He was barely inches away from us now. His smile was crooked and his glinted with cruelty. “You’re too small and too womanly. The same goes to your handmaid.” He flashed me a threatening smile. I narrowed my eyes at him.

            “I could hurt you if I wanted. And he is my brother, you imbecile.” Elaine stepped closer to him. Her chest was puffed out. I stood beside her.

            Alexandre looked us up and down like a predator surveying prey. Then he began to laugh. It was deeply unpleasant, like an asthmatic hyena. It elicited in great peals from his throat. He covered his mouth with the back of his hand in a sign of mock politeness. “And when did you gain all of this bravery suddenly?”

            “For once, I have a reason for my bravado. Unlike you.”

            Alexandre bent down and gently stroked her cheek with a long finger. “How adorable.” He said, each word dripping with poisonous honey.

            With that, Elaine’s fair features blazed red. Her eyes turned animalistic. She raised a balled fist and swung at his face. The blow connected with a meaty slap. Alexandre’s face flew sharply to the side, a purple bruise now visible on his cheek. Slowly he turned back to face Elaine and me. He blinked once, twice, three times before rubbing the bruise. His gaze was now cold and emotionless. Elaine stared him dead in the eye in defiance. Without any words, she seemed determined see him answer her blow.

            “You have to learn your lesson someday.” Alexandre said in a flat tone. He drew the back of his hand back, the force of his blow collecting in force like a coiling spring threatening to explode. Elaine continued staring as his hand began its journey to the side of her face.

            My own hand caught Alexandre’s in a blinding instant. Animated by a desire to protect my close friend, my reflexes activated faster than I expected to stop the assault. My anger at myself and whatever impotence I felt was absent, replaced by a deep disappointment in Benoit. Here was a man who believed these actions acceptable, who would not listen to a reasonable desire by Elaine to be left alone. I did not wish to strike him back for what he had done to me. I didn’t enjoy violence anyway. But denying him the pleasure of hurting Elaine was a good enough revenge. “That’s a very improper thing to do, Alexandre.” I said politely.

            “Oh, so you’re her knight errant now.” Alexandre crowed, anger returning to his face. “Then I’ll really enjoying beating into you into pulp when I’m finished teaching her some manners, Dufresne.” He ripped his hand out of my grasp as he balled his hand into a fast and prepared to strike again.

            “That would be quite enough,” The Beast’s voice resounded through the air from behind us. Alexandre heard it as well. His rage-filled expression dissipated as he looked around with confusion and fear. Then a distortion of the air that resembled a long cane raised to the center of Alexandre’s chest and pushed him with shocking force. He stumbled back, struggling to keep his balance.

            “What was that?! Who’s saying that?” Alexandre demanded, his hands frantically patting his chest. “What did you just do?”

            “You are a beastly young man. You have no idea just how sick you and your ilk make me.” The Beast’s invisible form stalked forward. She towered over the three of us. Her cane tapped the ground with steady rhythmic clacks like a deadly metronome.

            Alexandre’s eyes widened in horror. “Wha�"what is�"” He stammered, desperately searching for the source of the voice.

            The Beast meanwhile was already beside Alexandre’s shoulder. Her distorted outline tapped his shoulder with a talon. “I am the spirit that haunts the forest. I am the thing which hides under your bed.” Her voice was low and silky and dark. “You already know me, Alexandre Benoist.”

            “How do you know�"”

            “I know everything about you. For one, I know exactly what a terrible excuse of a son you are to your father. Then again, your father clearly wasn’t up to the task of raising you right anyway.” The Beast chortled.

            “You can’t s-say that about my�"He’ll find you. He owns this town! He’ll find some way to�"”

            “Can he catch the wind? Can he stop a forest from growing? Your father thinks he owns this place. He is wrong. It belongs to me. It has always belonged to me. And there is nothing he or you can do about it.” The Beast circled Alexandre as he shook like a wind-battered tree. “I want you to remember my voice whenever you think of raising a hand to this young woman or anyone else in the future. Wherever you are, I will be watching you. In every dark corner, on every cold night, I will see you.”

            Alexandre was so stricken with fear his face was now blanched white as snow. “Where�"where are you?”

            The Beast stopped moving right behind the terrified man. She tapped his shoulder again. Alexandre’s body tensed. I could hear his teeth chattered as his eyes dared to look behind him. He slowly turned around. The Beast was at his level, her hood pulled up to reveal her raven face. The corners of her beak were curled up in a devilish smile. “Surprise.” She whispered.

            The scream which issued from Alexandre was unlike any I had heard then or since. It was an animalistic howl, a funerial keening, the wailing of a baby, and a scream of terror all at once. The scream echoed out of the street and into the air to join with the breeze, which would carry it across the world and into the dreams of poets and artists to inspire and terrify in equal measure. In short, a legendary action which would not be forgotten by anyone. Alexandre ran so fast he was barely a speck on the horizon the second he saw the Beast to when the sound of his screams finally faded from earshot. In his hurried exit, his hat flew off his head and fluttered gently to the ground. His bundle of roses lay scattered on the ground, at least two crushed by his footfalls.

            The Beast stood tall in the street. Her form was great and monolithic against the clear afternoon sky. She stared down the road with a self-satisfied look. Elaine and I approached her slowly and stood beside the Beast. Our tall ally turned up her beak with a grunt and tapped her talons on her cane. “Well, that solves that.” She turned to Elaine. “He won’t be bothering you any time soon.”

            “What manner of sorcery did you perform on him?” Elaine asked.

            “I did nothing to him but put the fear of God back into him. Or rather, the fear of me.” The Beast said half-dismissively. “I did use a pinch of my power in his mind to heighten my voice. Theatrics, nothing more. I have faith he won’t be back to trouble you any time soon.”

            “I’ll hold you to that proclamation,” Elaine chided the Beast, pointing a stern finger at the great bird woman. Her expression then softened. “Thank you very much for your aid, Madame.” Elaine stuck out her hand.

            The Beast took it and brought it to her beak. “The pleasure was all mine, Mademoiselle.” She turned to me and nodded. “I feel we should take our leave now,” she said as she drew her hood over her head again.

            I was about to depart when the cottage door swung open. M. DeRose stood in the doorway with a rolling pin raised. “What in blazes is happening out here?” The old woman searched around for any signs of danger. Stray strands of her graying hair were plastered to her brow by sweat. She looked as if she had been slaving for many long hours in front of an oven. Soon her gaze found us. “Elaine! What are you still doing out here? We have orders to finish.” Her eyes turned to me. “Marius! Good to see you again! I trust your holiday was pleasant?” She said, her expression turning sweet.

            “Good to see you too, M. DeRose. And it was a bit more than a holiday�"” I started to say.

            “I knew you’d return eventually. You’re a good boy like that,” She cut me off, waving her hand as if waving away a fly. “In any case, good to see you again. I’ll give you some pastries to go home with as a welcoming gift.” Suddenly her face froze and turned serious. Her small eyes narrowed. “Who’s that with you?”

            I followed her gaze straight to the invisible form of the Beast, who had retreated to the side garden. She seemed to have realized as well that M. DeRose could somehow see her. “Who’s where?” I said innocently, looking around.

            “There is no one here but us, Gramma,” Elaine added, catching onto the charade.

            M. DeRose gave us a long hard stern look, craning her neck to the hidden side garden. “Hm,” She grunted, quirking an eyebrow. “In any case, Elaine, get back inside and help your Gramma. Marius, I’ll get your basket.” She motioned with a finger for both of us.

           



© 2023 C.S. Williams


Author's Note

C.S. Williams
General thoughts please.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

32 Views
Added on August 21, 2023
Last Updated on August 21, 2023
Tags: fantasy, fairy tale, beauty and the beast, romance, gender swap, family drama, romantic fantasy, gender swap fairy tale, love, love story


Author

C.S. Williams
C.S. Williams

Sterling, VA



About
I'm haunted by visions of people and places I don't know, but would like to meet someday. So, why not write about them? more..

Writing
One One

A Chapter by C.S. Williams


Two Two

A Chapter by C.S. Williams


Three Three

A Chapter by C.S. Williams