Thursday August 25th - B - Sampson's Side

Thursday August 25th - B - Sampson's Side

A Chapter by Adam Walzer

B


Sampson’s Side

We’re going into our senior year of high school, and I am really looking forward to it. Unlike most kids, I’m not just simply anxious to get out of this place and progress to bigger and better things. I like my friends here, and I like my school here. I mean, I’m not going to cry when I have to go, but my smile will only be because I’m happy about my destination, college, not because I look forward to leaving behind some horrific high school that stole my soul. This place isn’t nearly as bad as some people like to claim. But I sure I hope it’s also not the best time of my life like others seem to think it is. I hope those years are ahead of me.

The one thing that will be a little weird about this year is that my best friend won’t be going to my school anymore. She graduated last year, and now she’s going to a school far away. She moved in just a few weeks ago. And I’ll be honest, I would have been sad, but it never really registered with me. I’m like that. Things don’t sink in right away. Plus it’s not like I won’t be seeing her. Addie and I video chat all the time. It’s actually really cool, but like most things it’s best in the beginning. Sure it’s probably just the novelty of it all adding the excitement, but who am I to sneer at novelty? Whatever fills my life with even a few more smiles is something worth doing. Even if those smiles are purely temporary. If it makes me smile just a little bit bigger, then it’s all good with me. But admittedly, once we got used to it, the thrill settled just below actually being there.

We recently however just started enjoying it more again because she got a newer faster computer for college. She can now use all these crazy effects that she couldn’t before. Last night she and I had a conversation about the meaning of a true friendship while virtually submerged under the ocean. She was under the Pacific, and I was under the Atlantic, just to further symbolize the distance between us. But to us water is water, and we were together.

That’s actually a conversation we have a lot. Not that exact one, of course, but conversations very similar to that one. The conversations between her and me always travel around the world and back again. Trying to follow the path of our conversations is like attempting to make sense of Spanish television or understanding why kids always seem to put an owl-hole in every lollipop tree they draw with their new set of 64 Crayola crayons fully equipped with colors like macaroni and cheese and raw umber which incidentally is a great color to use when coloring in a tree trunk. Where are all the owl-holes in real life trees? What makes kids think their lollipop trees should have them? Perhaps that’s just one way fantasy is better than reality. Every tree can have an owl-hole if you so desire.

But anyway, I’m going to go get ready, and I’ll write about the comedy show and the rest of the night in my journal later.




© 2013 Adam Walzer


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

109 Views
Added on March 20, 2013
Last Updated on March 20, 2013