Thursday August 25th - E - Nick's Point Of View

Thursday August 25th - E - Nick's Point Of View

A Chapter by Adam Walzer

E


Nick’s Point of View

Senior year. This is going to be a breeze. I better enjoy it; college won’t be the same. Sure college will be a blast, but in order to play hard, I’m going to have to work really hard too. Now I can play hard for free. Tonight we’re kicking the year off with a bang. We’re going to go to a comedy show and then hangout at The Sandwich Shop. I’m going to get an amazing sandwich and shoot the s**t with my friends. And then each week we’ll do it again. Sure it’s simple, but it’s those simple things that are going to make this year what it is. Each week I’ll be getting together with my best friends to talk about what we did all week and what we’re about to do for the weekend. And hell, who knows, maybe we’ll find our way to some college parties. We’re right there anyway. I’m thinking we can find some drunk girls or maybe head to a frat and tell them we’re going to rush. I’m excited for college next year, but I know class will get in the way of the life. This year I can get a taste of the life without having to deal with the workload college is going to come with. And then next year, I’ll be the expert. I’ll be the guy everyone else goes to.


We’re at the show and everything is going great. The only downfall of something like this is we’re surrounded by people getting drunker by the sip while we’re relegated to ice tea and other virgin beverages. I don’t need alcohol to have fun, but I don’t like being denied anything purely because of my date of birth. Luckily their laughter helps us laugh and therefore helps us share in their impaired state of mind. Drugs and alcohol aren’t the only ecstasies; laughter, friendship and subs at The Sandwich Shop are the others.


The show ends and we reveal our big plan to Sam. He’s not as excited as we are, but that’s fine. He never realizes how awesome anything’s going to be until Lenny and I show him. We often force him to try new things, and except for maybe a mistake here and there, we’ve never let him down.

We leave the club and start on our way to The Sandwich Shop. For some reason we let Lenny lead the way. I love the kid, but he’s not the best with directions. And of course two blocks later I realize we’re headed in the wrong direction.

“So, Lenny, when’s the next turn?”

He stops dead in his tracks. He knows something wrong, but he’s not quite sure what yet. And then without a word he’s starts walking backwards. Sometimes, when you’re facing the wrong direction, moving backwards actually makes progress. A few steps later he turns around. We all laugh and follow.


We make it to The Sandwich Shop and all order our regulars. Luckily, one of the best tables in the house is just about to be vacated, and we’re able to snatch it up. The night continues perfectly. We sit down with our sandwiches and the conversation stops. Who could talk with a mouth full of meat, cheese, and glory? Who would want to?

After a few bites slide down into our tummies the conversation picks up again. We talk mostly about the show. Lenny always impresses me with his ability to quote movies and TV shows and apparently comedy acts too. He’s our class clown, and tonight, class is in session.

As usual, Sam is the quietest one, but this night he’s even quieter than normal. At first I think nothing of it. Then, I think it’s because something’s wrong. But then, I find out it’s because something’s right.

There’s a sparkle in his eye. He sees someone. I can’t turn around to look; I know it’ll be too obvious. I’d say someone from school, but this look in his eyes tells me it’s someone new. He starts to get flustered. I can tell he’s nervous. She must be getting closer.

He looks away for a second and regroups himself. All of the sudden he’s calm. Maybe it’s the calm before the storm. I don’t know.

And then I see six girls appear behind him. Six college girls behind him, and still somehow he’s calm. But then, she taps on his shoulder, and I find out he’s not calm at all. He’s frozen with fear. A deer in headlights. And then I look up to catch a better glimpse at these girls and what could possibly be causing him to act this way. I instantly understand.


© 2013 Adam Walzer


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

113 Views
Added on March 20, 2013
Last Updated on March 20, 2013