Are promises meant to be broken?

Are promises meant to be broken?

A Story by alison13

A friend once told me 'fate is really mischievous at times,' and sighed heavily. 'We’ll be friends till the end,' she said as she held my hands 'nothing can ever break us apart,' she continued with tears covering her eyes.

 

I didn't understand why she was saying it to me. We've been friends since middle school and nothing had ever been between us. 'We’re friends forever' I said, putting up a smile. She tried to smile back and stayed quiet as twilight deepened.

 

'Can you live without me for a day?' she asked, breaking the silence. Her question surprisingly caught me off guard. 'No,' I said and tried to smile once more. She lets go of my hand and took off the bracelet she was wearing. The bracelet her grandma gave that I secretly envied.

 

'What if I give you a challenge?' she breathed finally smiling. 'And what's that?' I asked feeling interested. She had never given me a challenge for so long now and I’m ready for whatever she was throwing.

 

She sighed, looked at me, and sighed again. And before I could say anything, she opened her mouth and said, 'I’ll give you my bracelet if you can live without me for a day,'

 

I was surprised on what she said, hoping she would take it back. She once told me how valuable the bracelet was to her. She must be kidding, the first thought i had. Or she probably knows that I can't not talk to her for a day. 'Fine,' I said, putting my hand in front of her. 'That’s a deal,' she smiled again and shook my hand.

 

The next day was the judgement day. I knew how important the bracelet was to her so I decided to forget about the challenge and just meet her on our usual spot under the oak tree. I sat for a few minutes, waiting, until the school bell rang and she didn't come.

 

By the end of the day, I saw no signs of her everywhere. I got worried for a second and just thought that she's probably sick.

 

By the next day, I was so excited of meeting her after the day that we didn't communicate. I knocked to their door and her mom welcomed me in.

 

I saw only grief in her face as I was eager to ask what happened. I looked to the other part of the family and none of them spoke a word and keep their heads down as her mom led me in a room.

 

I was led in a large white candlelit room. I was bewildered at first on what's going on, until I broke down crying to see my best friend lying peaceful in a coffin.

 

Her mom gave me a small envelope with a note in it. 'You did it, you survived a day without me,' the note started as tears continuously ran down my face. 'Could you do it every day? I love you,' the note finished. Behind the note was the bracelet attached.

 

It seems like a horrible dream to me. Everything was wrong, nothing fits right. I shouldn't be here and she shouldn't be there. She was right; fate is mischievous at times. It seemed so fast. She promised that we'll be friends till the end of time, but, are promises meant to be broken?

 

© 2010 alison13


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

If somebody did that to me i'd be like "Wohooo bracelet!" Hahahha.. ha ..uhrm

Still pretty sad tho..

Keep it up xD

Posted 13 Years Ago


good job. however, i suggest writing something a bit more unique. almost everyone goes through this.

however, good writing :D

Posted 13 Years Ago


I sense that touching is a very mild word for this. :)

True, faith is really mischievous and no, promises are not meant to be broken. This one is good for a short story.There has been so many stories about a death of friend but each one is unique. The twist in this one is the suddenness of the events. To some people, this is quite unrealistic especially to those who watch too much day time drama and soap operas. To some, it happens for death is also a coy. It's quite fortunate that the friend had something to leave behind than just dying without saying goodbye. On the negative side, it is so painful for someone to pass away if we are not ready to ready to let go. I commend you for penning such magnificent piece but what I would suggest is change some of its technicals so that it'll be better. There were some grammatical and spelling errors. If you intend some technical help, do message me.

Overall, good job. :D

Posted 14 Years Ago


Are promises meant to be broken? You can tell a lot about a person by the questions they ask. ~_~

Posted 14 Years Ago


This is so painful and I have gone through a similar situation and it was as painful.

Posted 14 Years Ago


This is quite the sad write here, But very well written.

Posted 14 Years Ago


[send message][befriend] Subscribe
Dev
Ahh.. sad story !!
But I sort of guessed what would happen as though I've read this or something similar before

Posted 14 Years Ago


You wrote a beautiful and sad story. The tale of friendship and losing a good friends leave us sad and wishing for a better ending. The story was well written and the story seem real. A excellent poem.
Coyote

Posted 14 Years Ago


A very captivating, touching story. Your emotions shone through amazingly, especially in your use of dialogue. I could feel the tension and love and confusion all through your story, and I definitely felt like I had gone on a journey with these characters. The only thing that I'd like to point out is the fact that you quite often changed between past and present tense, meaning that your grammar was sometimes incorrect. However, this can easily be fixed with some good proof-reading. :)
Nice write,
~PaperHearts

Posted 14 Years Ago


it's sad and yet sweet in a kind of way. it's sad for the best friend to die in just a short term. it's sweet on how she challenged her friend to live without her for a day to ready her for the next years to come. but the question on the last linw would have to be answered by no. she might had left already, but she would be the friend she knew in her heart till the end of time. nothing can break them apart because she knows that she'll stay with her forever. she may not see her, but she can feel her.


nice story. just a little more details would be good. but it's still touching enough.

blacrose24 =)

Posted 14 Years Ago



First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

722 Views
12 Reviews
Rating
Added on March 11, 2010
Last Updated on December 12, 2010

Author

alison13
alison13

Philippines



About
my name is elaine and i'm a fourteen years old girl... i'm gonna make my description short. i only have three addictions for the moment. MUSIC, BOOKS and PHOTOGRAPHY. MUSIC had been and always will.. more..

Writing
Goodbye Goodbye

A Poem by alison13


Paparazzi Paparazzi

A Poem by alison13



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Thank You Thank You

A Poem by jhed