it isn't my tragedy

it isn't my tragedy

A Chapter by Lyn Anderson
"

on this day in history

"
it isn't my tragedy
it isn't my war
but you brought it
to my door step.

my parliament
my home
my Capital.

don't give me
your damned
reasons.

I don't care if
you don't like
the cut of
my Prime Minister's jib.

you shouldn't
have fucked
with my country.

it isn't my tragedy
and yet you
forced it upon me.

In 1985 I walked
freely in parliament
I shook the hand
of the leader of our country.

no high school student today will ever get that opportunity.
October 22, 2014, it became my tragedy.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/ottawa-shooting-a-day-of-chaos-leaves-soldier-gunman-dead-1.2808710






© 2017 Lyn Anderson


Author's Note

Lyn Anderson

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

pretty powerful piece girl.. I admit, I hadn't ever heard of it, so I thank you for sharing that link with me... it is sad some of the changes that the world has been forced to make in response to evil and tragedy.. this hits me on several levels and as always your writing is precise and affecting..


"it isn't my tragedy
it isn't my war
but you brought it
to my door step."..... this words hit me and have made me come back and read them a few times.. while I love the message of the piece, these have me torn... I once got into a long debate with a friend of mine from UK... he said that Americans are nosy and should stay out of everyone's business.. while I can agree with that to a certain extent, I don't think that we should ignore atrocities happening, famine, suffering, genocide, etc if we have the means to make a difference, and if no means, then help develop them.. I may be a dreamer, an idealist--but I still believe in the fundamental--love thy neighbor, and treat others as you want to be treated... we shouldn't wait to take notice to something, only when it is on our doorstep.. it is like me noticing someone get bullied by another, should I not intervene, or should I wait for them to attack me.. I dunno.. .not a politician, not anything really but a nurse who tries to help those she can, but I hate that there is such evil and think we should always stick together... (and yes, not naive enough to believe that we haven't been the bullies on more than one occasion..).. that makes me sick too... evil comes in many forms.. from the disgruntled employee, to the postpartum mother drowning all her kids, to the young children opening fire in school, to someone attacking a batman movie opening..


Posted 9 Years Ago


Lyn Anderson

9 Years Ago

Thank you for the very considered review
Such a tragedy...all this terrorism going on in the world..it's getting worse everyday..

Posted 9 Years Ago


Lyn Anderson

9 Years Ago

Thank you, yes it is a tragedy
Stay strong KL. Never give in to these bullies of the world.

Posted 9 Years Ago


Lyn Anderson

9 Years Ago

If only it were up to me. We all need to stand against it.
A fine tribute to a free, democratic country proud of its tolerance. React with calm, keep your parliament
open as a light for freedom and free speech !

Posted 9 Years Ago


Lyn Anderson

9 Years Ago

I really hope we can. The first speech was all about cracking down and tightening up. That concerns .. read more
Oh I heard this in the news, what a terrible thing. Honestly, people just are so sick these days, no matter what... Innocent or guilty, you're not safe. Not even in your own city/country -- I mean, how freaking sad is that? This is powerful.

Posted 9 Years Ago


Lyn Anderson

9 Years Ago

Thank you, yes, it is sad, and frightening, and frustrating, and sickening, and whatever other ing I.. read more
Indeed the freedom grasped is a true misguidance of the human condition, well done, good read.

Posted 9 Years Ago


Lyn Anderson

9 Years Ago

Thank you for reading. Just emotional for me, as I am sure it is for many.
Thanks for sharing. I'm so sorry that happened in Canada, it shouldn't happen anywhere at all.

Posted 9 Years Ago


Lyn Anderson

9 Years Ago

No it shouldn't. But unfortunately it did and will. Thank you for indulging my request. I don't send.. read more
Delmar Cooper

9 Years Ago

I have been neglectful of my friends, hopefully I can be more responsive soon.
KL, I can remember, how things changed, after the OKC bombing, as I was working, at Revenue Canada, in Ottawa. Sadly, things will never return, to those days, of a friendly wave and smile, as the guards let you, in. I hope, the paranoid security types don't win, by having everything on CCTV, which every thing is viewed, as a possible threat. Thank you, for sharing this poem.

Posted 9 Years Ago


Lyn Anderson

9 Years Ago

You are welcome. I liked yours better, but I had to say something.
therisa

9 Years Ago

Your welcome, KL, and honoured by your comment. I understand.
We only lose our freedoms WHEN we let them go. The lessons we build our life upon need to be brought back into focus - living WITH our fears and accepting personal responsibility is not the same as being ruled BY fears and creative excuses...

Posted 9 Years Ago


Einstein Noodle

9 Years Ago

i agree! .. especially "We only lose our freedoms WHEN we let them go."
E.
Lyn Anderson

9 Years Ago

Of course. I choose to do as I please but I can't do much about not being let in where I was once fr.. read more
It's so sad how our homes are warped by some madman's dogma! So much has changed in the Sates too since 9/11. And, we've been at war ever since.

Posted 9 Years Ago


MomzillaNC

9 Years Ago

Should have been "…of [everyone] who…"
Lyn Anderson

9 Years Ago

You got it. The terror divides and conquers, and separates us, when it should unite us against the t.. read more
MomzillaNC

9 Years Ago

I think the most amazing thing about the response has been that the West hasn't opted for a scorched.. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

1038 Views
32 Reviews
Rating
Added on October 25, 2014
Last Updated on January 6, 2017
Tags: history, shooting, mourning, loss, innocence


Author

Lyn Anderson
Lyn Anderson

Toronto, Ontario, Canada



About
I write under a pseudonym. I don't do Read Requests, but you can PM me if you want me to read something specific. I make friends with people who I read and interact with. I won't accept random reque.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Aris Aris

A Poem by Tate Morgan