Chapter One : My Beginning

Chapter One : My Beginning

A Chapter by Emma Larson
"

The beginning of my new and everlasting life.

"

Pain, nothing but pain, it was the only feeling I knew. It seemed as if it had been going on forever, that it would last forever. Would it ever end? Was there a way out of this torture?

 

The pain began fade little by little. It finally resulted in only my throat. I opened my eyes, the light was so bright, but I could see so clearly everything around me and beyond. I was able to breathe again. I laid on a wet cool ground; it was some what comforting.

 

My throat burned with some sort of wanting. I smelled the air and retrieved a sweet scent. I stood up slowly as I was drawn toward it. I started to run into a dark forest, but stopped abruptly at the realization of my speed. I inhaled the air again trying to find the sweet smell I desired. I turned my head slightly to see a young man who hadn't seemed to notice me. My throat's pain wasn't ignorable at this point. I desired this man. His smell was appetizing? I jumped forward and pushed him to the ground and bit into his neck. This was my first reflex, I hadn't even put any thought into it. A warm liquid filled my mouth, I swallowed it as it entered. Blood? The man yelled in agony, but I didn't have any power to stop. As I finished I saw his eyes close.

 

"What am I?" I was terrified at what I'd just done.

 

I began to quiver in terror, but I wanted more blood; my throat still burned. Am I even human? What happened to me? I can't remember anything. I wanted to cry but tears wouldn't form. I was still thirsty, will this wanting stop? I started a search for a new victim, I needed to quench this thirst before it got even more out of hand. Would it be difficult? I sought out two more humans. Another young man and a woman around my age, maybe a little older. The burn had faded away.

 

The sky turned dark but I was no where near tired. I didn't know what to do so began to walk. I started in New Port, Rhode Island and wondered into a small city some where in New York. I hadn't any money to get anything for myself, so I continued forward, a month or so had passed by. I wasn't sure of what time of the year it was specifically but I believed it was still 1862, the snow had already started falling. It had been so long since I'd been home. Although I'm sure I haven't a home anymore and my family probably thinks I'm dead or had run away for that matter. I don't remember them, all of my memories before the pain are very foggy. It takes a lot of concentration to recover small pieces of it.

 

I sought some sort of work to try to stay in a town for longer then a week at max. I found a temporary position at a inn, one of the only places that was hiring women. I was in no way interested in working in a bar. My boss's name was Jason Cuttings, whom was a reasonable employer for the most part, but he made me work very longer hours. I assumed it was because I was renting a room in the inn for myself, which was understandable.

 

"Emma!" Jason yelled from the front counter. I ran over carefully to avoid any extreme acceleration.

 

"Yes?" I answered ready for my task.

 

"Would please help Mr. Evest here with his baggage?"

 

"Right away sir," I answered him neutrally as I picked up the man's bags, "What room number?"

 

"Five," Jason said looking up from his paper work. I nodded.

 

"This was sir," I guided Mr. Evest to his room and placed his luggage on the floor near the bed.

 

"Is there anything else that you require?" This was my usual question.

 

"No," he paused briefly, "Not now at least. Thank you," he answered with a grin that was rather unsettling.

 

"You're welcome," I walked out of the room as I pulled the door behind me.

 

I knew where Mr. Evest was going with that, "Not now," quote and I don't want anything to do with it. I walked down the stairs in an unhappy manner. I tried to remain calm, but Jason notice.

 

"Emma? What's the matter?" he looked at me slightly concerned.

 

"That man is disgusting," I exclaimed in a low tone.

 

"How?"

 

I glared toward him.

 

"Oh. Hey if you sleep with him I'll give you a raise. We need to keep our guests pleased,"

 

"That's repulsive! How could you say such a thing?" I was about to explode. How could the man I worked for for such a long time be like this? He walked over to me, took a lock of my long, blond hair, and breathed in my ear.

 

"Well do you want to try me instead?" His tone was dark.

 

"No! I quit!" I was furious, I wasn't going to let any man treat me so poorly. Especially since I could kill him with barely any form of exhaustion. That power was still a mystery to me.

 

I'm fed up and can't hide anymore. I ran over to the main support of the buildings and ripped it down. I heard the screams of everyone around me. I saw the horror on their faces, but I didn't feel sympathy.  I walked over the remains of the building not turning back. That part of my life was over. I continued forward taking the savings I made from working at the inn to buy a train ticket to Tennessee. It was difficult to get there with the Civil War going on since it was mainly taking place in the South. 

 

I was out of money by the time I finally arrived at my destination. Luckily I don't need to eat regular food because I would starve to death. I learned only a week after what ever happened to me that I now survive on about two to three humans a month. I now know when I have to eat, my throat burns and my eyes turn from red to black, also my senses took over me and that risked the exposure of myself, which I needed to be careful of. What would someone do to me if they found out I was different? I can't take many chances.

 

I've noticed many changes about myself actually and they can be very disturbing to a normal person. It's taking me awhile to get use to them myself: I feed off of human's blood, my eyes have changed from green to red, I don't sleep, I've become almost impossibly strong, my vision is perfect; I can see every detail of every object around me, my sense of smell is beyond that of an animal's; I can track anything down, I haven't aged a day, and so many more. There is one in particular though I have not yet identified and I know that it's abnormal even for what ever I am.

 

The year is now 1872, I continued to nomad around the country taking what I could and not staying in one place for to long. I made that mistake in New York and it brought people close me, and in the end it resulted in nothing but pain and agony as I walked away with out a scratch with the look as if nothing had happened. I don't want to live through that again.

 

The days turned to weeks, the weeks turned months, and those months began to conclude another year of my unchanging and unappealing life. My throat began burn, my eyes darkened. I knew what this meant, so I needed to stray clear of large numbers of people and find 'someone' to eat. My senses took over I inhaled the air for some sort of appealing scent. I caught something up North by a stream, by the sound of it,  but this scent was different. Was it even human? I snuck into the clearing. I could hear the water in the stream running. I saw a young man with blond, curly hair sitting on a boulder and staring into the water.  Who is he? His scent was different, not human, but more like me. I continued to look at the man and ignored my thirst, pondering in my thoughts for some sort of verdict that would explain my new discovery. I began to take a step, but before I even realized, the blond man had noticed my presence. The expression on his face was indescribable. So many emotions, I'm not sure I could list them all. Was there fear?

 

"Who are you?" he said rashly.

 

"Emma. Emma Larson," I stood puzzled, " Who are you?"

 



© 2009 Emma Larson


Author's Note

Emma Larson
Thoughts?

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

Hmmm, my thoughts would be this is particuraly written very well. I love how you opened it up. You opened it with Emma's transformation and that is good.

The setting is seeable and her feelings are mutual to mine meaning I can relate to it, be engrossed into the story and cannot be taken out. Everything flows, and yet at the end you leave open quite a mystery. I enjoy Emma as she grows to get used to her new powers or so.

I can infer what she is. You didn't have to say it out loud for anyone to get it. Except for a few spelling errors that don't even affect the story, it's good.

I wish Emma would've killed that Jason dude and that cheeky customer, but I suppose it would get off subject, wouldn't it? Anyways, good job, and I am inclined to move forward:).

Posted 14 Years Ago


i like this! i cant wait to read more! i figured out that the guy emma saw is jasper. i hope you write more! if u can, read mine also. thanks!

Posted 15 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

258 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on February 3, 2009
Last Updated on February 4, 2009


Author

Emma Larson
Emma Larson

OH



About
Hi, my name is Emma. I'm not human, and I despise anyone who mocks my species. Even for the pure joy of Halloween. Besides that I'm joyful person and would love to talk anytime. more..

Writing