Chapter Three : More Then I Wanted to Know

Chapter Three : More Then I Wanted to Know

A Chapter by Emma Larson
"

First we had the most awkward of conversations and know this! What else is going on! What have I gotten myself into? Jasper what did you do?

"

It was cold. So very cold. Even for being unnaturally cold myself, this was noticeable. Jasper and I were headed west to Kansas, but he wouldn't tell me why. The only information I was given was, "It's just a stop. You'll find out soon enough,". Yeah like that's much help. He tends to be very secretive, which is starting to bother me. If we're going to travel together he could at least include me in what we're doing and where we're going. Although I'm sure he'd tell me, "Well if you're not happy then leave. You're the one who wanted to come along to begin with." Yes, that's probably just what he would say in his formal Texan accent.

 

It seemed we'd been on the train forever. My concept of time though was quite poor and forever had a new definition to me now technically. Jasper hadn't said a word since we'd gotten on the train, I'm not quite sure if he took a breath either. I'd decided to fall into one of my wild day dreams, just something to keep me occupied for the time being, but it didn't last very long.

 

"Jasper?" I whispered. He turned his attention towards me.

 

"Yes?" His reply was neutral, as expected.

 

"Ah, how are you?" My voice was at a normal level. I tried to engage in some sort of conversation. I was sure it was hopeless, but I wanted to try something.

 

"Fine. Is there a point to this?" He seemed irritated.

 

"No, but it's been so quiet and it's beginning to bug me,"

 

"Oh, sorry I'm not used to having anyone with me yet, my apologies. Was there something you wished to discuss?" Crap! I hadn't thought that far! I saw his eyes drift to a beautiful brunette woman in another seat, his facial expression had softened as he quickly gazed upon her.

 

"Ah," his eyes came back to me immediately. "What kind of things do you look for in a girl?" Oh my god! I couldn't believe I had asked that.

 

"And what brought about that topic?" He spoke so formally and puzzled.

 

"I don't know, it was the first thing popped in my head," I am such a bad liar. I bet he could see right through me.

 

"Well," He straightened his back. Is he really going to tell me? "Someone intelligent, kind hearted, skilled, beautiful, and can look past my flaws and accept me for who I am". I'd never heard Jasper be so forth coming like that before even though we've only been together the past week. It was quite surprising.

 

"So?" My train of thought was interrupted, "What do you look for in a guy?" Darn so he wasn't just going to let it go.

 

"Well, I, ah," I hadn't really thought about it before.

 

"Don't think you're going to get off that easy. I understand you were bored, so answered your question. Now answer mine," He sounded as if he had that planned out.

 

"To be honest, I don't really know. I've never really given it to much thought before," I saw Jasper's face loose some of it's accomplished tone, almost sad. "Well if anything probably someone strong, sweet, warm hearted; literally or not," I laughed to that. Jasper also found it some what amusing, "Handsome, not afraid to express his feelings, and can accept me for who I am despite all the mistakes I've made in the past".

 

"Such as?" he questioned.

 

"Never mind, can we change topic?" I was now uncomfortable with the turn of the conversation and didn't want to further it anymore. I had a horrible past, human memories, that were so strong and effected my life so dearly they were almost perfectly clear.

 

The rest of the ride wasn't what anyone would call "exciting". Jasper and I had barely spoken another word, I also couldn't come up with another topic to talk about. That gave me the time to think about what Jasper said though. I don't know why, but that strange conversation about interests in someone meant something to me. I'll probably brush it off, it's just because of the silence and lack of talking which lead to it, right?

 

The train eventually stopped, which stunned me at first. I'd been on it so long I wasn't sure it could stop.

 

"Are we here?" I asked Jasper.

 

"Yes, for the time being," He stared out the window as he spoke.

 

"What does that mean?" I wanted my answer.

 

"I just have some unfinished business with someone here. We should only be here for about two days. Then we're moving on," He faced me again.

 

I nodded once. Then saw a faint grin creep across Jasper's face. I didn't know why, but I then felt calmer, and more relaxed. It was strange and something I hadn't felt in a long time. I liked it.

 

It was finally time to get off the train, I was utterly thankful. We didn't have any bags so we got off and out of the crowds quickly. Jasper began lead us down a dark alley, but  I stopped in my tracks. Fearing to go any further. Jasper turned.

 

"What's the matter?"

 

"You'll have to come back for me when you're done, or we'll have to take another way. I can't go through there," I was on the verge of tears, if I could actually cry. I saw Jasper's reaction and was somewhat irritated with the fact of me at the moment. He quickly inhaled.

 

"Trust me you'll be fine," he walks towards me and took my hand.

 

"What! No!" What? I'm ok? I've never gotten over it that fast. How the hell am I relaxed? What, what did he do?

 

"Just close your eyes, everything will be fine. Trust me what ever your fear is you probably wouldn't have an issue with it now, with whatever happened." His voice was so kind, but this again didn't last as long as I wanted it to. "So let's go," I closed my eyes and he started walking forward again.

 

"What did you do to me?"

 

"What do you mean?"

 

"My emotions, they changed so rapidly. That never happens. What did you do?"

 

"I controlled them, it's my gift as a vampire. Did you acquire one?"

 

"I don't think so,"

 

"Well maybe you don't have one. Not everyone does, or maybe you just haven't found it yet."

 

I didn't respond. I didn't know how to. Something else I couldn't do. What am use am I? Plus why am I so negative? I'm beginning to sound like one of those corny love novels my mom tried to get me to read when I was younger. I guess I'll have to bare it, also work on being positive, otherwise Jasper will just dump me here and continue on next to where ever he's going next by himself. Come to think of it where are we going next? He didn't tell me that either. What else hasn't he told me?

 

"You can open your eyes now," He let go of my hand.

 

I slowly opened them, there was a door in front of me.

 

"Do you want to come in with me or stay out here?"

 

"I guess I'll come in. Why are we here? Well, why are you here?"

 

"This guy owes me money." He grasped the the wooden door handle and pushed the door open.

 

It was dark and dirty. There were spiders and insects everywhere. Towards the back was a desk that a man was sitting at. I heard Jasper slam the door, which got the man's attention. I could tell he was in massive need of a bath. His skin was coated in grease, oil, and dirt. He looked around thirty with dark brown hair and light blue eyes.

 

"Ah. Mr. Whitlock, pleasure seeing you again. And who is this lovely-," The man said obviously not thrilled to see Jasper.

 

"You owe me money Jenkins," said Jasper cutting him off. He meant business.

 

"What if I just buy the girl off of you. How does that sou-?" Replied Jenkins.

 

"Hell no! Now you owe five thousand dollars, where is it?" Jasper was not taking this well. Neither was I for that matter, the idea of being sold wasn't a pleasant feeling.

 

"Yeah I've got your money Whitlock, but let me tell you it wasn't easy I had to-"

 

"I don't care what you had to do. Just had it over,"

 

Jenkins stood up from his desk and walked into another room, he was only gone for around three or four minutes I would say. He came back with a large, worn out, over filled, tan sack. The money that this all about? Maybe.

 

"Here, now leave me alone, you know it would've been easier you you just sold me the girl,"

 

"You're such a pig. Come on Emma," He glared at Jenkins as he spoke, then turned for the door. I followed behind. The door was slammed behind me.

 

"Are you alright? Did he offend you?" Jasper looked down to me, slightly worried.

 

"No," I took a quick breath, "I'm ok. You're right though that man is a pig. I've had to deal with so many disgusting men in my life; but your a huge exception. I know you'd never act like that,"

 

"Thank you," There's that grin again. I stood frozen, it's a good thing I don't have to breathe.

 

"So are we done in here? In Kansas?" I was barely able to get out the question while checking back in to reality.

 

"Yes, unless you have something you need to do?"

 

"No, but I think I should eat. I haven't killed in weeks, plus my throat is beginning to bother me."

 

"Sounds fair," Jasper seemed happy, I was glad. He always seemed gloom, even when we met. He was a poor sad soul that needed a little more "life". So I guess that's where my part in his life comes in. I smiled then inhaled in air in search of a meal nearby.

 

I set off North in search of the scent I had picked up, female, young, innocent. But so sweet. I was thirsty and I was going to get what I wanted. I heard Jasper behind me, not that far off. I wasn't paying much attention to that fact though. My senses were to strong and were only focusing on what they wanted, blood, sweet, warm, human blood.

 

There she is, merry and enjoying life, but not for long. I looked to make sure there wasn't anyone in sight, then launched for her. I thrusted my teeth into her neck and she began to scream. The warm liquid ran into my mouth, one of the most relaxing feelings for a vampire, when you quench your thirst. Her screams began to die down as I finished her off. I've never regretted drinking the blood of humans, for it is to sweet and filling to ignore. The burn in my throat had faded away, I was grateful. I heard a scream nearby, another girl. Most likely Jasper's doing. I set out in search of him. I found him about finish her off when he saw me.

 

"And how was she?" I asked in a joking manner. He released his teeth from her neck and wiped his mouth.

 

"Not to bad, when you were human you tasted sweeter,"

 

"What?" My faced dropped.



© 2009 Emma Larson


Author's Note

Emma Larson
Thoughts? :D

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

My thoughts are Wow, I almost choked at the end. That was such a twist. Still, the way that Jasper attends to Emma is pretty hot. Man, I'm still recovering from that twist. My mouth nearly froze when my jaw dropped. I never would've figured he did that. Now I'm interested to know how Emma is going to react to this. I'm reading on.

Posted 14 Years Ago


Interesting twist at the end...

One grammatical error, though: when they are talking about Jasper's power, it should say "Did you Acquire one" instead of "Did you Inquire one". Inquire means to ask.

:)

I like it. Jasper's life after the wars, but before Alice...

Posted 15 Years Ago


5 STARS EMMA! GOOOOOOOOO EMMA! so good!

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

147 Views
3 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on February 17, 2009
Last Updated on April 19, 2009


Author

Emma Larson
Emma Larson

OH



About
Hi, my name is Emma. I'm not human, and I despise anyone who mocks my species. Even for the pure joy of Halloween. Besides that I'm joyful person and would love to talk anytime. more..

Writing