Cafe Lament

Cafe Lament

A Poem by Tate Morgan
"

Some would like to make you believe that a blazing competition Is something you should all avoid as if the fires were perdition

"


Self portrait


What was it made this place so great

in the days so long gone now

For me it was competition

that kept the sweat upon my brow

 

Some would like to make you believe

that a blazing competition

Is something you should all avoid

as if the fires were perdition

 

We do ourselves a disservice

claiming competition is greed

By leveling the playing field

why would we struggle, stress or bleed

 

Without the trying forge of pain

that angst and toil bring to our lives

There just is no reason to work

on all the wonders that it drives

 

Competition is what rules life

both in nature and creation

It is what made this country great

sowing seeds of our foundation

 

I for one think we are poorer

having lost the edge to excel

Whereby what we once called heaven

has become our personal hell

 

Don’t wonder where your friends have gone

it’s just they miss the old cafe

A refuge from life’s petty fights

where they could kindly spend their day




 


$12.50





$12.50

© 2018 Tate Morgan


Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5

Author's Note

Tate Morgan
I once asked little Drake Cooper how his soccer team was doing."Terrible" He said."I go to Montisory for gifted students.laughs Yea he said the problem is we aren't allowed to say anything to the guys who won't play hard. For fear they will develop syndromes". Sad isn't it we cannot ask excellence of our children or demand it of ourselves for fear it might cause issues. The truth is excellence is hard work and those who are willing to undertake it reap its benefits. 1 part inspiration 99 parts perspiration. As a horseman competition was the lifeblood of my life. It is such a shame that we once were so engaged in the job of excellence that we actually kissed the moon. Nowadays we are content it would seem to leave our children to the mercy of the mean streets. Corporate America has no mercy for those who fall behind. Neither does nature. We were once the preeminent writing site. That because we demanded excellence from each other. I for one do not believe finishing 3rd is winning. We do our children a real disservice by awarding them trophies for participation. It is for those who struggle sweat and persevere to be honored for their accomplishments and write their name on the wall of human achievement. What will we do in the future? Will we continue to look back to the days when we went to the moon with no more than a slide rule? Or will we build on those accomplishments by sacrificing for the future generations in the hope they too will kindle the flame of human curiosity to slip the surly bonds of earth put out their hand and touch the face of God?

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Never a truer word spoken, Tate. So very noticeable in schools these days that the competitive nature has been deliberately blunted so that under achievers won't feel a sense of failure. Unfortunately, as against that view, the world out there is a marketplace where everyone jostles for success and recognition, and if you're not prepared for it, then fail you will. They're doing our kids a disservice by neutralising their competitive spirit.

Posted 10 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

As a child..as soon as you toss that first stone in a game of hopscotch..you are being competitive..it is in our DNA....I truly believe that it CAN get out of hand and a balance has to be reached...We have to learn how to lose with grace as much as we have to strive to win..Great poem Tate

Posted 10 Years Ago


For me it was never about the competition ~ but sharing and enjoying ~ being able to relate to others, but eventually it all got too much, too bitchy, and too competitive when really I was never here for that ~ of course we all like praise for our words and thoughts, and positive feedback ~ but everyone writes differently, everyone feels differently and surely no one should feel negative about someone elses efforts ~ I loved your piece....and I do miss the cafe, my friends, and my writing ~ it was a place I could come and feel safe and loved.

Posted 10 Years Ago


How do we work if we don't spill a little blood, sweat, and tears. Life isn't easy and if it is, get out of your mansion and breathe in the wild air. Because once you taste the wild, you never want to go back. We are animals as much as people hate to admit it. Therefore, we work like animals. We enjoy the outdoors more than the indoors. Why do you think cats and dogs love to play outside? Because inside is so secluded. So get out there and play and if you feel tired at the end of the day, then you know you're living.

Posted 10 Years Ago


Excellent job as always, Mr. Morgan.

Posted 10 Years Ago


Oh well said Tatertot. Hope you are having a good day.Give me a call first chance you get. The kids are having a good time.

Posted 10 Years Ago


I couldn't agree more. When I first starting writing here it was a place of safe refuge for me. But that was almost four years ago. Recently, my inspiration has been lost. Much the same way I lost my inspiration for drawing. I have not drawn in over 15 years because it turned into a competition, sucking all the pleasure and joy out of it. And now...as I feared...the competition, fighting, and the non-stop popularity contests has sucked the joy out of my writing. I think the problem is we are all here for different reasons. Some of us "like myself" have been subjected to bullying and ridicule for most of my child-hood and adult life. So when writing...I am making myself vulnerable to people that want to judge.

"That's not really anybody's problem, but my own problem for being so sensitive."
And maybe I am my own worst enemy? It's perhaps my own judgment I fear.


It's just that we wonder why some people take such offense to criticism and public ranting. It's because seeing it happen to a fellow writer...or when it happens to ourselves...it's like pouring salt on old wounds. And right now...truth be told...I don't care to feel the sting. I understand why some Writers go AWOL for awhile...or just close up account. Their joy has been sucked dry, or it has been bruised.

Reviewing btw shouldn't feel like stepping on glass...I just think that if we are to be brutally honest out of dislike or in disagreement, it needs to be done privately. Through email only. It's just the polite thing to do. We are all guest on the café, so we need to use our manners. I will be the first to admit that I've lost my cool a few times on the café, testing my boundaries and character. I think I've made my apologies quite clear to those that matter, and I hope that for those that have recently been burned they too can make their amends and return to the café soon.

I guess that's why I take a less serious and light hearted approach to reviewing. I'm not one to say what is good or bad, I can point out spelling corrections and bad grammar...but I will never say it is good or bad. I can only tell you how a poem or story makes me feel. Poetry is so subjective. What I find to be beautiful and inspirational my bore or disgust another, or vise versa.
Like you said, some of us just miss the old café....xo.

Posted 10 Years Ago


It is sad that children cannot be allowed to excel or fail & so find out early that the world
will not always cater to them. Excellent writing, thank you,, Tate xxx

Posted 10 Years Ago


"I for one think we are poorer having lost the edge to excelWhereby what we once called heaven
has become our personal hell"

Tate I had to take an extra breath when I read this verse. Wow it had an impact on me!

Life sets the competition for us all don't you think? It has been the victory and destruction of great nations, people and families. Yet where would be without it?

Thanks for a great read. Once again you gave me pause and made me think.


Posted 10 Years Ago


Good job on hanging this out to dry Tate. Our social nature brings out the competitive natures and then we create measures on high and higher. I personally always found it useful as a reflection of myself. At some point poetry creates a stand on its one as a self expression and the satisfaction it provides is its own reward. At other times it flows into a harmony that brings satisfaction to many. A nice write.

Posted 10 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

3466 Views
80 Reviews
Shelved in 3 Libraries
Added on July 21, 2013
Last Updated on January 20, 2018
Tags: poetry

Author

Tate Morgan
Tate Morgan

Marion , OH



About
Available from Amazon XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX I am a product of the Midwest. Raised on the plain states of North America. I was nurtured on a .. more..

Writing
Pain Pain

A Poem by Tate Morgan


Memories Memories

A Poem by Tate Morgan



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..