Cafe Lament

Cafe Lament

A Poem by Tate Morgan
"

Some would like to make you believe that a blazing competition Is something you should all avoid as if the fires were perdition

"


Self portrait


What was it made this place so great

in the days so long gone now

For me it was competition

that kept the sweat upon my brow

 

Some would like to make you believe

that a blazing competition

Is something you should all avoid

as if the fires were perdition

 

We do ourselves a disservice

claiming competition is greed

By leveling the playing field

why would we struggle, stress or bleed

 

Without the trying forge of pain

that angst and toil bring to our lives

There just is no reason to work

on all the wonders that it drives

 

Competition is what rules life

both in nature and creation

It is what made this country great

sowing seeds of our foundation

 

I for one think we are poorer

having lost the edge to excel

Whereby what we once called heaven

has become our personal hell

 

Don’t wonder where your friends have gone

it’s just they miss the old cafe

A refuge from life’s petty fights

where they could kindly spend their day




 


$12.50





$12.50

© 2018 Tate Morgan


Author's Note

Tate Morgan
I once asked little Drake Cooper how his soccer team was doing."Terrible" He said."I go to Montisory for gifted students.laughs Yea he said the problem is we aren't allowed to say anything to the guys who won't play hard. For fear they will develop syndromes". Sad isn't it we cannot ask excellence of our children or demand it of ourselves for fear it might cause issues. The truth is excellence is hard work and those who are willing to undertake it reap its benefits. 1 part inspiration 99 parts perspiration. As a horseman competition was the lifeblood of my life. It is such a shame that we once were so engaged in the job of excellence that we actually kissed the moon. Nowadays we are content it would seem to leave our children to the mercy of the mean streets. Corporate America has no mercy for those who fall behind. Neither does nature. We were once the preeminent writing site. That because we demanded excellence from each other. I for one do not believe finishing 3rd is winning. We do our children a real disservice by awarding them trophies for participation. It is for those who struggle sweat and persevere to be honored for their accomplishments and write their name on the wall of human achievement. What will we do in the future? Will we continue to look back to the days when we went to the moon with no more than a slide rule? Or will we build on those accomplishments by sacrificing for the future generations in the hope they too will kindle the flame of human curiosity to slip the surly bonds of earth put out their hand and touch the face of God?

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Never a truer word spoken, Tate. So very noticeable in schools these days that the competitive nature has been deliberately blunted so that under achievers won't feel a sense of failure. Unfortunately, as against that view, the world out there is a marketplace where everyone jostles for success and recognition, and if you're not prepared for it, then fail you will. They're doing our kids a disservice by neutralising their competitive spirit.

Posted 10 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

I love the style of the rhyme and flow in this one, great read. I do not believe, however, that it is always competition that makes one exceed. I write to capture. I want to know what I thought and felt a long time ago through my writing. In many ways I don't even write for people to read. I write for myself and if people connect with me, that's fantastic.
I do appreciate your viewpoint, though. Often times people are too willing to give excessive praise (myself included) without consideration, and the world is so "politically correct" these days it's hard to see how we have any efficient communication.
Thanks for the great read.

Posted 10 Years Ago


Well written write as always. To me writing is not a competition, it is a passion. A passion I enjoy sharing. As readers of the written word we do not always hold the same views, likes and dislikes. Reviewing someones work when asked should be an act of truth and kindness. Be considerate but honest. The only way we can grow in our writing is to allow constuctive critiques. If you do not agree then that should not be an issue....sure it may sting the ego but it should not push a writer to leave the Cafe. Once we put ourselves out there for others to read we need to be able to acept what others have to say; that does not mean we have to agree.Kindness is the key, no need for nasty words.....after all the Cafe is a place to come for a relaxing read and sharing the kindred writer spirit.

Posted 10 Years Ago


A difficult problem, and at the center of sites like these. Is this social networking, or are we prepared to risk conflicts and be critical of others ? I don´t know the answer, it is probably somewhere im the middle, be critical but look for positive elements in all the work that lands here.
Competition is probably the wrong word. Taste is important, and a reviewer can write ( I think) that he simply does not like a poem, even when it is well written.All in all, a hard one.

Posted 10 Years Ago


Competition....such a strong word
A writing day at the park-
Writer 1 has done an amazing job- with the writing process and with their astute investigation of factual information - the piece was a historical one
Writer 2- has done a pretty good job but needed some help with content (wasn't very interesting)
Writer 3- basically came to today's event for the free food and to stir up trouble
The Judges- All are not equal in every angle of the writing process
Judge 1- an editor by day- a passionate poet by night-this judge will hold grammar ,spelling and the writing process in high standards when judging
Judge 2- an auto mechanic by day- a passionate reader by night- this judge will hold content and the depth of emotion in the write to the highest of comprehension standards
Judge 3- back ground classified- unknown- this judge has to be felt out by the competitors
The day begins beautifully with writers 1 and 3 - in a tight competition -both have good writings as entering pieces
Writer 2 has decided to spend some time reading up on the judges as well as writers 1 and 3's pieces
Judge 1 has had a disagreement with writer 3 and is now involving the crowd that has gathered to watch
Judge 3 is chiming in left and right while writer 2 is at a loss for words
Writer 3 finds it all a bliss and has decided to take the fight to the next level
Judge 2 is now fighting with writer 1 and it is getting ugly
Writer 2 and 3 are eyeing each other suspiciously while judge 3 just smiles
Chaos has found a seat at the park ....
Is there a point to this story- absolutely not which is what I wanted my point to be*)
There is only one problem with competition- jealousies
I feel bad for the folks that miss the Top Spot stuff....they work hard for it but when a competition is judged by unknown sources ,factors or folks...chaos will reign supreme ( sad isn't it)
Thank you for sharing ...quite lovely fine sir*)

Posted 10 Years Ago


Great poem, excellent rhyme & flow. Great message there, but I guess I never related WC & competition. Though I must confess that when I read excellent work, it inspires me to try harder, so maybe you are right?

Posted 10 Years Ago


Your description of life is alwasy real and straight. I love the way you style your poems. Its great to be back at WC after a long time. Thanks for sharing Tate you are always amazing with your work!!!


Posted 10 Years Ago


Tate my dear friend...as always it's a pleasure to read your heartfelt words. You have a writers drive to excell and a poet's compassion and love of the written words. I dont get on wc much these days but when I do I enjoy reading the words woven from the kind tender hearts of my dearest fellow writers and poets of which you are amongst the best of the best. As always a pleasure to read your writings that are forevermore derived with love and compassion.

Posted 10 Years Ago


Spot on, thats the spirit boy. Fight the odds and make way against the wind, thats the way to go. And whats more, struggle till you die, dont care for the results.
Excellent write and magnificently penned. Well done friend.

Posted 10 Years Ago


"Competition is what rules life both in nature and creation" I agree thanks for sharing

Posted 10 Years Ago


Hello Tate,

Sorry it took me so long to review :) but here I am, I want to thank you for this piece of work.
For me as you know it's no competition either, In the years I've been here, I've been through a lot, (who not)? and it's a place we eventually all come back to. I think for myself, I'm not so competative. I once was, but it brought me nothing than missery, and I've learned, to accept, and appreciate the sweet little things in life, for I went rock-bottom, and swum back up. This write makes people think and realize. I like the fact you have the effort, and courage for it, for me it's just I enjoy to be here, for a few good friends, like yourself, my little words, and writings, to support as much as I can in free time, and most of all, to grow in my English, and poetry (or other skills) there is nothing so beautiful than to learn from others, and share leveled thoughts, and visions. As always, you write perfectly, and I give you a chapeau, from the Netherlands my friend. Let's focus all on writing, and reviewing, when time permits, and when we feel honestly comfortable on doing it. :) Take care Taters, till laters... xx

- Elisa

Posted 10 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

3466 Views
80 Reviews
Shelved in 3 Libraries
Added on July 21, 2013
Last Updated on January 20, 2018
Tags: poetry

Author

Tate Morgan
Tate Morgan

Marion , OH



About
Available from Amazon XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX I am a product of the Midwest. Raised on the plain states of North America. I was nurtured on a .. more..

Writing
Pain Pain

A Poem by Tate Morgan


Memories Memories

A Poem by Tate Morgan



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..