TWO

TWO

A Chapter by Maddox

Hours passed before her eyes started to ache from exhaustion. Groaning she looked at Hielo sitting in the seat next to her. She checked the fuel tank and glanced around. She didn't what state she was in, just that she was in a new one. The Welcome sign had passed shortly after she had left the two that had tried to kill her. Maybe Oregon? Something like that. Then again, did anything have a name now? She cleared her head and pulled off onto the side of the road. She locked the car and pulled a ragged blanket off the floorboards. Curling herself up as small as possible, she sat on the floor and rested her body on the seat.
"Hielo, keep watch." she ordered. On command the dog's ears perked up, keeping watch out the window. She threw the blanket over her head at an attempt for cover. 
~

  "Hielo shut up!" she cried. "Hey wait." Realization dawned on her. Throwing off the blanket she jumped up onto the seat. Nearing the hood of the car was a mob of returned. Cursing she turned the key in the ignition and backed up. Throwing the truck back into drive she sped forward, gaining speed. Cringing, bodies bounced off the car. Faces threw themselves at the windows, trying to get at her. She tried to ignore the faces but she couldn't help but think that they had lives ones. Okay they definitely had lives once, they were dead. But what if they had children, pets, a husband or wife? Well she knew the what if answer, they were dead too. This was the main reason she ran away from the Sanctuary. 
As soon as people got word of the infection and how quickly it was spreading, they set up Sanctuaries. Basically college campuses with huge stone walls and chain link fences around the perimeter. She had been at the Sanctuary in Colorado when the infection got to them. Staying there, it had driven her insane. To go on duty in one of the towers and shoot down returned. At the very beginning the faces had been familiar. Students that had been on their way home from break. She had had a best friend there. His name was Richard. She was starting to think that she loved him and his comical outlook on life. She had kissed him good-bye when he left to visit his grandmother in the next town over. She never saw him again.
After that she couldn't stand all the faces that she use to know. She packed her bag and left. Nobody tried to stop her, nobody was worried about her anymore. She set out for Washington State to try and get information on her parents. Whether they were still alive or not. She had her doubts but she still had to check. It was taking her longer than she thought, when she had run out of gas in her own car she'd had to walk. She'd camp out high up in trees and try to only travel during the day. Finally she was getting close, but her hopes were only getting lower as she got closer. She had never thought about there being a Sanctuary in Washington, if there wasn't than there was no hope.
Slowly she pulled into an old town, and slowed to a stop in front of a convenience store. Grabbing her pistol, she slowly opened the car door and, without turning the car off, she walked up to the store. She smashed open the front doors and walked inside. Usually she would be greeted by at least two returned but there was none. She checked down every isle and when she was sure the store was clean, she put her gun back in her pocket. It looks like as soon as the infection broke out the store shut down. It was the most well stocked store she had come across in weeks. She grabbed 2 pull string bags from the school supplies isle and started filling them up. The red bag she filled up with food and other things. The black bag held everything else. Two notebooks, two packs of black pens, a box of envelopes, a flashlight, two rolls of duct tape, and anything else she thought she'd need. She threw the bulging bags in the bed of the truck and went back inside. She grabbed a blanket roll and several packs cheap t-shirts and black athletic shorts. Occasionally she could raid a clothes store but those times where far and few between. Having grabbed everything she needed for now, just for kicks she walked down the cosmetics isle. Giving it a second thought, she grabbed a hairbrush, a pair of scissors, a hand mirror, and raided the entire pain killers shelf. She filled another entire bag with ibuprofen, cough medicine, and chapstick. She had no idea when she'd get another chance at a store like this. Just because she could, she grabbed a couple packages of oreos, several cans of Pringles, and arms full of soda, arnold palmers, and vitamin waters. 
She unloaded everything into the passenger floorboard and shut the door. Laughing at her luck, she organized everything on the floor, all the soda and drinks she put in the small back seat along with the food and treats. Locking the doors she pulled out one of the notebooks, a pen, and an envelope. She started writing.


© 2012 Maddox


Author's Note

Maddox
Okay you might have noticed that I haven't given the main character a name. It only says she, her, ect. This is on purpose. There is a main point coming up that will explain why that is. If that bugs you I'm sorry. I might change it later but just wait for the upcoming part.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

A
I was waiting for a name...
but if you insist...

I have to say, shes really smart when it comes to survival choices .3. And the amounts that she took-leta just see how long it always lasts. It was kinda sadthat Richard couldnt be found. RichardXUnknownGirl Lol

Posted 12 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

161 Views
1 Review
Added on December 27, 2011
Last Updated on January 3, 2012


Author

Maddox
Maddox

Columbus, OH



About
Writing is one of the most important things in my life. It's a release. The way I think can't easily be explained to most people. I think in pictures, stories, and patterns. Writing stories is a way t.. more..

Writing
-Intro- -Intro-

A Chapter by Maddox


Chapter ONE Chapter ONE

A Chapter by Maddox