FOURTEEN

FOURTEEN

A Chapter by Maddox

~Adrian~

            His heart was pounding as he watched the man’s face. Jake’s hand was wrapped in his. He could feel her pulse, beating with his.

            “My. My name,” he gasped. “I’m Richard. Richard Demarco.”

            Jake’s hand went slack. Adrian looked at her. Her thin face was dropped in under shock. After speaking his few words Richard slumped forward in his chair, his chin resting against chest.

            “Richard,” Jake whispered. Her grip on his hand loosened. He could hear it as her knees hit the floor hard.

            “Jake? Jake!” he cried. She fell backwards; he just barely caught her before her head hit the hard, unforgiving ground. Richelle stood behind Richard, her face filled with shock. Gently he eased her down, resting her gently on the ground. He pressed two fingers to the artery in her neck, checking her pulse. It was erratic. Jake’s heart was beating through her skin.

            “Richelle, get a washcloth from her bag. Run cold water on it and bring it here,” Adrian commanded. It was a minute before she registered what he had said. She sprung into action and tore open Jake’s bag. She grabbed a thin washcloth and ran for one of the sinks. Twisting one of the knobs, clear water started to gush from the spout. Once the cloth was soaked through with water, she wrung it out and ran to Adrian, handing it to him.

            Carefully he folded the washcloth over in his hand and swabbed Jake’s forehead. The cold water trickled down his wrist, dripping onto her face. Gently he pushed a strand of hair out of her face, looking down at her. She was pale, delicate beads of sweat dotting her face. Her chest rose and fell irregularly. The cold water seemed to be helping some though. Her breathing calmed, some color returning to her face. Her eyelids flickered, movement coming from behind them. Ever so slowly, her eyes opened. Wary green eyes gazed up at him. The edges of her mouth twitched as he helped her to sit up.

            “Are you alright?” asked Adrian. He dropped the washcloth on the floor, wiping the water off his hand.

            “Yes. I don’t know what came over me,” she mumbled. Adrian slid an arm around her waist and helped her to stand up. He felt how weak she was as her hand gripped his shoulder. She leaned against him, averting her eyes from their unconscious ‘guest.’ Adrian helped her gently slide into a booth. He slid in next to her, cautiously watching her.

            “I’m fine. Really,” she said looking up at him. He gave her a skeptical look and slid her unfinished coffee in front of her. She sighed gently and rested her head against his arm. Hesitantly she reached out and grabbed the Styrofoam cup. He watched her hand as it shook the cup. Carefully, Adrian reached his arm around her, keeping her close.

~Jake~

            Her head was spinning. This wasn’t possible. It’s been almost a year since she last saw Richard. Now here he was sitting with them in this small café. She felt Adrian’s cheek pressed against her hair. His long arm burned against her back, he was so warm. She curled up tighter against his side, she was freezing.

            Jake could feel her hands shaking as she held the Styrofoam cup. Sighing, she set it down, stuffing her hands against her stomach. Adrian reached over and wrapped his hand around hers. Moaning, she buried her face in his jacket, pressing her hands against his warmth. He chuckled, the hand on her shoulder traced patterns into her skin.

            “Are you sure that you’re okay?” he murmured, his warm breath stirring her hair.

            “Mhm,” she sighed against him.

            “Good. You scared me.” He lifted his head and looked down at her. His stunning grey eyes were filled with worry and affection. Jake gave a small smile and buried her face against his chest.

            “When you two are finished,” interrupted Richelle. “What should I do with our new friend?” Jake’s head jerked up as Adrian’s chest convulsed with laughter. Jake gave a small laugh and followed Adrian as he slid out of the booth and walked over to where Richard sat hunched over in his chair.

            Jake stood in front of him while Adrian undid the zip ties that bound Richard to the chair. The unconscious boy stayed where he slouched in the chair. Adrian started his inspection, lifting the sleeves and checking for any sign that Richard had been bitten. Not finding any he looked up at Jake.

            “Why don’t you and Richelle get him cleaned up? I’ll start closing this place off. I have a feeling that we’ll be here for a while,” said Adrian. Without waiting for a response, he started grabbing chairs and headed for the door.  With Richelle’s help, the two girls pulled Richard’s arms around their shoulders and moved him towards the small kitchen. Setting him up on a tall stool they grabbed rags and ran them under cool water. Pushing his hair back, Jake washed his familiar face while Richelle mopped the grime on his arms.

            “It looks like he fell into a pit of mud,” commented Richelle. Jake chuckled and wiped soot off his eyelids.

            “Jake,” coughed Richard. His voice came out scratchy and hoarse. Searching Jake’s face blindly his head rocked back, falling comatose again.

            “You know him?” asked Richelle, shocked.

            “Yes,” Jake whispered. “We went to middle school, high school, and college together. We were friends.” Her hands delicately moved the washcloth around the collar of his shirt. She could feel Richelle’s eyes on her face. “I thought he was dead.” 



© 2012 Maddox


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

150 Views
Added on January 15, 2012
Last Updated on January 15, 2012


Author

Maddox
Maddox

Columbus, OH



About
Writing is one of the most important things in my life. It's a release. The way I think can't easily be explained to most people. I think in pictures, stories, and patterns. Writing stories is a way t.. more..

Writing
-Intro- -Intro-

A Chapter by Maddox


Chapter ONE Chapter ONE

A Chapter by Maddox