Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5
Obama

Obama

A Story by Braden Freeman
"

This is a piece that looks at my views on Obama, specifically his recent speech in church.

"

I was very touched by the eulogy Obama gave in church the other day. He talked about how the people who died were wonderful people, people who brought grace to the world. He also commended the families of the victims because in court they selflessly offered their forgiveness and compassion to the killer. Towards the end of his speech, he sang the spiritual Amazing Grace. I think this was incredible for a politician to openly, nakedly sing in public, but the nature of the song made his act all the more significant. His speech also led me to think about the human spirit on a general level.


I think this event shows how amazing the human spirit is. It is not so common to see, for example, people turn something so tragic, as this undoubtedly was, into something uplifting and spiritual. Obama deserves a lot of credit for using his power to shine a light on this wonderful community, but the individuals of that community are perhaps the best example of what human beings, or human spirits, can do together. This group could have easily given in to the temptations of anger and retaliatory violence, but they chose to follow a better course, and humanity should be grateful they did.


This moment in time will be remembered, I think, as one of the great moments in history, because it brought us closer together. I am from Canada and I feel much closer to my neighbors in the United States, since I recognize their spirits as compatible with my own. I also noticed when I was reading comments online that some people who normally do not like the President were touched by his words. Therefore, this event was not just about details and particular things people said, but it was about something more transcendent. This moment was unique and transcended time, and it also transcended political and social divisions because it united us across political and regional boundaries.

© 2015 Braden Freeman


Author's Note

Braden Freeman
Feel free to comment.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

I dont care to talk about politics but I enjoyed your piece you wrote and I like your conviction on the subject you wrote about. I also like how the president made you feel and the pride you felt. We are al different and I never want to say anything negative about another's political views just as I wouldn't what someone to be negative for my views. We just need to respect each other regardless and have civility for one another.

Posted 8 Years Ago


Braden Freeman

8 Years Ago

I am glad you enjoyed the piece. I also appreciate your openness on the subject of politics. If only.. read more
While I have been very disappointed in President Obama and his policies, still it's nice to read something positive about him.

Posted 8 Years Ago


Braden Freeman

8 Years Ago

Thank you very much.
I liked the piece, and it was very very well written. But can we comment on the piece and not our personal views other than the topic of the piece? I mean seriously, everyone wants to talk politics yet no one wants to do anything about it. Let's keep perspective when commenting.

Posted 8 Years Ago


Braden Freeman

8 Years Ago

Thanks very much for your comment. I also think it is healthy to talk about objects as they are, top.. read more
Honesty is my only policy ... This piece is well written ... However, it makes clear that many fail to see Barak Hussein Obama for what he truly is ... He is the truest and finest example of a Human Chameleon Shape Shifter ... Changing colors, religions, beliefs, policies, strategies, commitments, promises, and obligations, to suit and fit whatever environment he finds himself in at the time or moment ... He is Muslim to Muslims, or so he claims ... He is Christian to Christians, or so he claims ... He is a friend to the Jews, or so he claims ... He supports the working class man, or so he claims ... But nothing he does actually supports, over time, the very things he claims to be and believe ... In my humble opinion, he is a traitor to the United States of America, working as hard as he can to weaken and set it up to be destroyed ... Likewise, He is a liar and a betrayer to Israel and the Jewish people ... I simply cannot stand the SOB, and I do not share my thoughts with any intention of offending ... Simply honesty at its best ...

Posted 8 Years Ago


Braden Freeman

8 Years Ago

Honesty is a good thing. You are right that honesty is often lacking in politics, but I am not sure .. read more
Workvio

8 Years Ago

Was not totally serious about the Shape Shifting, except that man changes his entire personality fro.. read more
Very well said, and I completely agree with you. Joe Biden, in another gracious act, attended the same church today. Having just buried his son, his heart must have truly been in cadence with theirs.

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Braden Freeman

8 Years Ago

Yah, I felt bad for Joe, but good for him for continuing his work and reaching out to other families.. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

304 Views
5 Reviews
Rating
Added on June 27, 2015
Last Updated on June 27, 2015
Tags: Religion, Obama, Spirit

Author

Braden Freeman
Braden Freeman

Calgary, SW, Canada



About
I live a simple life in Calgary, Alberta. I currently work with the homeless. I want to make the world a better place, and writing is one way compassionate beings uplift the human race. more..

Writing
Nature Nature

A Story by Braden Freeman



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Angst Angst

A Story by Philip Muls