Chapter 5

Chapter 5

A Chapter by Brooklyn

His little sister is both adorable cherub and adorable cherub. It’s like she doesn’t have any faults. I called her cherub once and she asked what it meant.  After explaining that it is an angel she exclaimed, “But I thought I was a princess, Mallory!”

“You’re the princess of angels.” This brought a fit of giggles and hugs from the little girl. The she ran off to tell her brother that she was an angel princess.

Her brother. While she is only five and full of bubbly aliveness, her brother is much harder to figure out. He is guarded, safe, and never lets anything slip. He gives out no information about himself and when asked questions, his usual response is, “You look smart enough to figure it out yourself.”

The only time he allows himself to open a little is when he is with Princess. He obviously loved her to bits. He’d put flowers in her hair when she asks and play Grizzly with her, but even then I can see a glint of worry in his dark eyes. Just a hint showing that he knows that it’s all fun and games until someone gets hurt, and that he is determined for that someone not to be her.

Other than the few pieces that I’ve been able to put together, he’s a total mystery. He hasn’t opened up to me and he hasn’t even told me name or age. I still don’t know what to call him. I’ve tried everything from Hermit to Hey You, but nothing fit him. Hey You stuck for a while and even his sister started to call him it with a giggle, but I dropped it after he started calling me “Girl” in return. He’s the one that said I could call him whatever I want, he doesn’t have to make this so difficult.

I’ve been with them two weeks now and I am no closer to uncovering what’s underneath that “rock” act he uses like armor. That’s an idea. “I know what we’re gonna call your big brother today, Princess. How about ‘the Rock’?”

She giggles with glee. “Or ‘Rocky’!”  She suggests.

“What do you think, Rocky?” I ask the mystery guy who had chosen this moment to walk back into the cave.

“At least it’s not ‘Hermit’.” He sighs. “Time for a nap,” he says turning to Princess. She puts on a pouty face, but other than that, doesn’t complain as she walks to her bed. Within a few minutes she’s snoring.

“C’mon.” he waves me over to where he is still standing at the opening of the cave.

“Where are we going?” I ask as we exit.

“I’m gonna teach you how to hunt.” My heart plummets. Oh, no. I could have learned to hunt back at home. Sam even offered to teach me, and I rarely gave up a chance to spend time with him. Instead I decided to stick to gathering. Why? Because I don’t think I’ll be able to harm, kill, another living thing. It’s just not who I am. I think that it was planted into my DNA that I burst into tears every time I walk by the butcher’s. Needless to say, I don’t eat meat.

“I don’t think that that’s such a good idea…” I say hoping that he’ll see my rising panic and drop it. No such luck.

He ignores me and walks up to a tree about ten feet away. He makes a small circular mark and tells me that that is what I’m aiming for. He shows me how to hold the bow, how to pull it back, how to aim. Then he shows me how to breathe. He tells me to put my hand on his chest as he slowly inhales then exhales. “Feel that?” he asks. I nod quickly. “That’s how you want to breathe. Got it?” I nod again and he steps away, handing me the bow.

I breathe how he showed me and raise the bow slowly, pulling the string back in the same motion. I hold there for a moment while I aim. Then, I inhale deeply and let go of the string. It snaps forward and the arrow soars…right passed the tree and into the surrounding bush. 

“Well, It was only your first time, right?” he questions and I nod. “Try again, but this time take longer to aim.”

I do and this time the arrow nicks the tree before flying off to some unknown realm in the greenery. I try again and again, each time getting advise from “Rocky” and each time getting a little bit closer to the target.

That is, until I hear a little angel voice right behind me whine that she’s hungry.  I jump with shock and my arrow that was pointed at the tree flies high into the sky, skewering a pheasant that was flapping up above.

“I think Mallory has dinner covered.” Rocky says with a smirk as he retrieves the poor bird. “Nice kill.” He congratulates me.

Kill. I killed something. Tears stream down my face as I look at the bird. Blood spurt out of its wound in its chest. At least it didn’t suffer.

“What’s wrong, Mallory?” Princess asks. But I can’t explain.

“Rocky” doesn’t even look surprised. He just stares at me sobbing my eyes out and says, “Am I allowed to ask you if you’re okay? Or will I be yelled at again?”

That makes me laugh-cry. He waits until I calm down and then says, “Listen, I know you’re not gonna like hearing this, but you’re gonna have to get used to hunting. And eating meat. It’s a part of life.” He doesn’t say man-up but I get the meaning. I know that I can’t have a sob-fest every time I kill something. And he’s right. I’m going to have to get used to this.

I take a few shaky breaths, in, out, in, out. The tears stop and a smile comes to my face. “See? I didn’t yell at you.” Is mouth twitches in an almost grin. Then it’s gone and he instructs me in how to cook a bird.

It’s a messy job and plucking the feathers is a pain, not to mention that doing all of this makes me want to start crying again. But eventually, we have roasted pheasant.

“You are the only person I know,” starts mystery guy as he takes a bit of meat. He chews and then continues, “that can shoot a bird out of the sky by accident.”

“I’m not proud.”

“I can tell by that scowl.” He responds. That makes me a bit angry.

“Look who’s talking.”

He raises both eyebrows “what’s that supposed to mean?”

“Fight! Fight! Fight!” Princess chants. That seems to calm us both. It’s like Princess has a soothing effect on people.

Anyway, I smile a t her and say, “maybe later, when there’s something worth fighting about.” That’s my way of telling him that I’m sorry and that I was being stupid. He nods his understanding.

That was settled fairly quickly, but I know that it won’t be long before I snap again. Like I said, there is just something about the guy that gets me worked up over nothing. As grateful as I am, I will be fuming again soon. 



© 2012 Brooklyn


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

I love this piece pleaseee write more!!!

Posted 11 Years Ago


I like this! whyd you ever stop writing it for so long?

Posted 11 Years Ago


Brooklyn

11 Years Ago

because 1) I have writer's block 2) people are going to chase me with chainsaws and clay pots if I d.. read more
luv2dream

11 Years Ago

Lol. i may be one of those people with pots i am truely addicted to your fanfic
Nice progress do far but maybe you can make a little more of a plot?

-Jade

Posted 11 Years Ago


Hi Brooklyn,
Apart from a few mistakes, which others have pointed out, I'd say just keep it rolling. It seems to be flowing for you. Well done.
Regards
Shawlyn

Posted 11 Years Ago


Really good! Keep it coming :)

Posted 11 Years Ago


A few mistakes but you've got the right idea. Could get interesting to see how things change

Posted 11 Years Ago


Good chapter. Id point out mistakes but since you didnt fix the mistake i pointed out in the last chapter, I wont. Sorry because this may seem mean but if you dont care then...

Posted 11 Years Ago


I really like this book! Make sure you keep writing it. I don't really have any other criticism since Sophie pointed out the only thing that I saw wrong.

Posted 11 Years Ago


Kids are always so much cuter in fiction.
Keep going (:

Posted 11 Years Ago


Again, a few issues with quotes, but better :P I liked this chapter :D I can't say the things I'd like to though, because I know more about this than other people. Also, the pheasant wouldn't have bled until you took the arrow out, if it was a clean kill.
MOAR!

Posted 11 Years Ago


Sophie

11 Years Ago

yup, the capitalization :P but there was more than one, that's why I pointed it out, just in case it.. read more
Brooklyn

11 Years Ago

ohhhhh... okay. I see
Sophie

11 Years Ago

yuppers

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

275 Views
10 Reviews
Rating
Added on July 3, 2012
Last Updated on July 3, 2012


Author

Brooklyn
Brooklyn

why do you want to know?, MA



About
I'm a fourteen year old girl that is now in her freshman year of highschool. wish me luck!. I'm awful at spelling, and I need to work on "down time" in stories. I also can't seem to write one book for.. more..

Writing
But Not But Not

A Poem by Brooklyn


Nightmares Nightmares

A Poem by Brooklyn


Insanity Insanity

A Story by Brooklyn



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Chapter 3 Chapter 3

A Chapter by Brooklyn


Chapter 4 Chapter 4

A Chapter by Brooklyn


Prologue Prologue

A Chapter by Lydia


The Grave The Grave

A Story by Brooklyn