Chapter 4

Chapter 4

A Chapter by Brooklyn

That awkward moment when you have to travel with someone you don’t know and you have no clue what to say to mentioned person. Now add not even knowing his name. And him knowing your love life.

            All of the above is my fault. Somehow. Well, except for not knowing his name. What am I suppose to do? Punch him until he tells me? Beg on my hands and knees? Neither of which are an option. There is something called pride…and gratitude.

            “If I guess your name will you tell me if I’m right?” He doesn’t respond but I decide to try anyway. “Rumpelstiltskin?”

            “No, but close.”

            “You could just tell me and we wouldn’t have to fill the forest with useless chit-chat.” I try to reason.

            “Tempting, but…no. Sorry.” I growl in frustration. He laughs. I give him the death stare but it seems to have no affect on him. Dang it.

            “Hint?” I plead. He just shakes his head. “Fine. I’m just gonna call you Rumpel then.”

“You wouldn’t dare.”

“Or would I?” I say with a mischievous smile.

“No. You wouldn’t. Because I saved your life. Aren’t you supposed to be eternally grateful?”

“Only if I’m a toy alien.”

“You mean you’re not?” He asks with mock surprise. “Wow, you’re a good actor. You totally fooled me.” Am I offended? You bettcha. Another look of death is wasted on him.

“Here we are.” He says. I look around and see nothing.

“Where are we exactly?” He better not be an ax murder or something.

He doesn’t answer but moves around brush until he uncovers an opening to a cave. “Home sweet home.”

“Oh.” Relief floods through me. Okay. That makes sense. We enter the cave and it’s surprisingly homey. Animal pelts serve as rugs and heaps of them are used as beds. There is a stone fireplace in the corner, obviously built by hand. He lights torches that are strategically placed so that they give the most light.

What surprises me the most is a little girl sleeping in one of the pelt-beds. She looks around five. I give Mystery Man a questioning look. “She’s my little sister,” he explains. “My mother died while giving birth to her and my father died a year after.”

I don’t know what to say. I can’t even imagine how hard it would be to have both parents die and then have a one-year-old girl to take care of on top of it. “Oh, I’m sorry.”

“Yeah, well, that’s just the way things are. Nothing’s gonna change it.” That’s something I understand. Like me, he keeps pulling the short straw.

I decide to change the topic. “So if you don’t want to be called Rumple, what am I supposed to call you?”

“Depends. How long are you gonna be here?”

“What do you mean?”

“Are you gonna stay with us for a while or are you gonna go back to your home or are you gonna go somewhere else?

“Well, I can’t exactly go home, you already told me that. And you’re right. And I don’t have anywhere else to go… So I guess I’m staying.”

He nods in agreement. “Okay.” Then he continues to light more lamps.

“Well?” I ask getting frustrated.

“Well what?”

“What should I call you then?”

“Whatever you want.”

“Fine.” I’m dying of curiosity but I won’t let him have the satisfaction of making me beg.

The little girl stirs and slowly opens her eyes. “Who is she?” she asks her brother, pointing to me.

“Um. This is Mallory. She’s going to live with us for a while. Sorta like a sister.”

“Yay! New sister! But why do we have new sister�"“

            She is right about to say his name but he cuts he off. “We’re playing a game. She can’t know our names, okay? Got it? Promise you won’t tell?” she nods in agreement.

“Seriously?!” I say incredulously.

“Yep.”

 His little sister comes and throws her chubby arms around my waist. “I love you!” she squeals.

I smile down at her. “I’m gonna call you Princess, is that okay?”

She beams, “Okay Mallory.” 



© 2012 Brooklyn


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Featured Review

“No. You wouldn’t. Because I saved your life. Aren’t you supposed to be eternally grateful?”
“Only if I’m a toy alien.”

Did anyone else get that referance??^^ Cuz I laughed like crazy when I read it.

I guess they're off pretty well if the little girl is chubby, this would be interesting. I love the boy character though, his personality is perfect!
You have some really good references and anologies. Keep it up

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

HEhe I like the guy. Hes clever.

-Jade

Posted 11 Years Ago


Hi Brooklyn,
You have me intrigued. "Curiouser and curiouser".
Regards
Shawlyn

Posted 11 Years Ago


Great job!! I love it! One problem, you spelt Rumpel two different ways;)

Posted 11 Years Ago


Sorry for the lack of reviews on the previous chapter, but I'll review this one.
I'm curious as to why he saved her exactly. If they use the Beast as something to sacrifice their people to, has he saved others before, or for some reason it was just her?
This book is absolutely intriguing. I love the world you created, the characters are realistic and humorous. I'm wanting more!

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I'm really liking this. I can't wait to figure out why she can't know their names!

Posted 11 Years Ago


Really cute! :)

Posted 11 Years Ago


“No. You wouldn’t. Because I saved your life. Aren’t you supposed to be eternally grateful?”
“Only if I’m a toy alien.”

Did anyone else get that referance??^^ Cuz I laughed like crazy when I read it.

I guess they're off pretty well if the little girl is chubby, this would be interesting. I love the boy character though, his personality is perfect!
You have some really good references and anologies. Keep it up

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

so cute! I love fictional little kids!
The real ones are annoying though.

Posted 11 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

284 Views
8 Reviews
Rating
Added on July 3, 2012
Last Updated on July 3, 2012


Author

Brooklyn
Brooklyn

why do you want to know?, MA



About
I'm a fourteen year old girl that is now in her freshman year of highschool. wish me luck!. I'm awful at spelling, and I need to work on "down time" in stories. I also can't seem to write one book for.. more..

Writing
But Not But Not

A Poem by Brooklyn


Nightmares Nightmares

A Poem by Brooklyn


Insanity Insanity

A Story by Brooklyn



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Chapter 1 Chapter 1

A Chapter by Brooklyn


Chapter 2 Chapter 2

A Chapter by Brooklyn


Amazing Mums Amazing Mums

A Chapter by Brooklyn


Chapter II Chapter II

A Chapter by Lydia