Chapter 2

Chapter 2

A Chapter by Brooklyn

“Yes, Vivienne, it’s me.”  he says.

“But…you’re dead.” I whisper. “The reports said you were dead.”  My voice shakes and my arm holding the sword wavers.

“I am alive.” Joy fills my heart. For years I’ve been praying that Richard had miraculously survived and the reports were wrong. Now my prayers have been answered.

But a thought stops my joy dead in its track. “What are you doing dressed as a soldier, Richard?” I ask in a whisper.

 “Not ‘dressed’ as a soldier, Vivienne.”

“You mean to tell me that you are part of the party that murdered my parents? Part of the party that are hunting me, who want me for a reason that is unknown to me?”

“Vivienne, listen.” He begs.  But all I see is betrayal. There is no way to explain away what he and his comrades have done.

“Then you are not Richard.” I brace myself for the deed that I am about to do. My arm stops trembling and I inhale slowly. “The Richard I knew would rather die than take innocent lives. He would rather be tortured than betray his friends and family. He was a noble man who loved�"“ I cannot bring myself to continue. “You could not possibly be that man.” I say instead.

“You are the same as I remember, Vivienne. Strong, independent. Willing to do whatever needs to be done. A temper that sometimes blocks out all reason. And a love for the people around her that tends to do the same. You have not changed at all.” Tears stream down my face as he says that. How can I kill someone that I have grown up next to? Someone who knows me so well? Someone who I have�"I won’t even allow myself to think it. Not after what he has done.

I don’t plunge the sword. Instead I whisper the word that I did at the battle. I don’t know what it means, or what it will do, or even if it will do anything. Still, I know that I have no other choice. I close my eyes, grabbing the pendent that my mother gave me for comfort. “Fyrhend.”

I open them to the sound of crackling flames. A circle of fire, flames growing higher as I watch, surrounds him. They stop growing when they are at least four feet tall. They stay a distance from him, not burning him. They give me a chance to escape.

Richard’s silver eyes are wide in shock. I, myself, am shocked as well. And more confused then ever. Is it possible that I caused this phenomenon?  I don’t have any magic. I do not practice the arts of sorcery.

I know that this is no the time to debate it. I have been given a chance to escape and I must take it. I mount my horse and shift to get comfortable in the saddle. Not being able to help myself, I look back at the man that I once knew so well and now don’t know at all. “Goodbye, Richard.” And then I ride away.

I hear faintly as I go, “This isn’t goodbye, Vivienne.” Then even softer, as though I wasn’t meant to hear it at all, “I love you still.”  


© 2012 Brooklyn


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

Another good chapter. Keep on writing!

Posted 11 Years Ago


I cant wait to find out more!!

Posted 11 Years Ago


Wow!! Really good! Keep going :)

Posted 11 Years Ago


Hmm, not quite as good as the Prologue and Chapter 1 but I am still in love with your story! I love how now we kind of get the idea of why they want her. Just make sure that there is a reason the soldier's superiors knew that she held the power, do you get me?
Keep updating me! It's amazingly addictive!

Posted 11 Years Ago


I like all the detail you include wth the actions but still keeping the misty storyline. The story has a lot of open ends and I'm sure there's more people than you think that can't wait to see where it leads

Posted 11 Years Ago


Wow! I really am liking this story! At first I wasn't sure if it was for me and now I'm like: WRITE MORE NOW!

Posted 11 Years Ago


please more, like really, now.
Now.
...why isn'tthere another chapter up?
okay, how about... now?
Damn.

Posted 11 Years Ago


This chapter is so amazing, yet sad st the same time.
Great job!
Can't wait for more :)
100/100

Posted 11 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

235 Views
8 Reviews
Rating
Added on August 3, 2012
Last Updated on August 3, 2012


Author

Brooklyn
Brooklyn

why do you want to know?, MA



About
I'm a fourteen year old girl that is now in her freshman year of highschool. wish me luck!. I'm awful at spelling, and I need to work on "down time" in stories. I also can't seem to write one book for.. more..

Writing
But Not But Not

A Poem by Brooklyn


Nightmares Nightmares

A Poem by Brooklyn


Insanity Insanity

A Story by Brooklyn



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Chapter II Chapter II

A Chapter by Lydia


Chapter IX Chapter IX

A Chapter by Lydia


One More Song One More Song

A Poem by Lydia