The Crystal Kingdom: Part 4

The Crystal Kingdom: Part 4

A Chapter by Byroneus

The Barren Heights

Finally free of the Black Swamp, and after a well needed rest the Lord and Tim continued on the path that they quickly found with the help of the Eagle. They started following the path up into the heights of the Barren Heights.

They were now on the next stage of their travel, entering into the Barren Heights of the Dark Wilderness, this was a land of little life, but difficult travel. The Heights were steep and full of dangerous rocks that could slip out from under their feet, causing them to slip and fall. At times they would have rocks from above come tumbling down the path at them. Tim wondered if these rocks were from Dark Watchers, and as time past so also did the Lord.

The path through the Barren Heights would continue straight up when it was not to steep, but at times it would switch back and forth when it was to steep.

As they neared the top of the Heights the Lord looked back. He could see the Black Swamp and how without his Eagle as a guide from above, they probably would have never gotten out, it was a place of wandering waters and maze like trails through the plant life. Beyond the Black Swamp was the Gnarled Forest which form this height the Lord could tell was sickly compared to the Treasured Forest that was behind that. There far on the horizon was a shining stronghold, high up on a mountain. Tim asked the Lord what it was and he explained that it was his stronghold, the place that the Great One had placed him in charge of.

They sat on the peak of the Barren Heights for most of the day, enjoying the view and reprieve from the Black Swamp and the difficult climb up. Then out of nowhere they were attacked. A giant leopard pounced at them, knocking Tim down the edge, and turning towards the Lord, who was trying to get his sword out and stand up.

The leopard attacked quickly with the skill of a well seasoned predator, but just before it could get the Lord, the Eagle swooped in and hit the leopard in the side, this gave the lord the time he needed to get his sword out and make his attack. As soon as the lord had attacked the Leopard fled off into the Barren Heights.

The Lord spared no time to go and try and find Tim. Not far down the Heights Tim was hanging on to the roots of a dead tree. The Lord went back to his horse Faithful and grabbed the rope that was in the saddle, and through the end down to Tim so that he could help pull him up.

After the leopard attack, the Lord and Tim were reminded that the Barren Heights were still part of the Dark Wilderness and that they would need to be on their guard.

From the peak of the Heights they started their desert, in front of them was the Smoldering Desert and then the Great Wilds. The desant went easier and quicker than the climb. They spent the time taking more about the Crystal Kingdom.

The Lord told Tim how the Great One was a gracious and merciful King, and how the people of his Capital City were always welcome in his courts, and to spend time with him. He explained that the Great One desired relationship with his people more then anything else.

As they continued on discussing more about the Great One, again the leopard attacked. Jumping out from behind a large bolder, it tried to knock the Lord away and go after Tim who was less armored and only had a dagger. As Tim tried to keep the deadly cat at bay, the Lord charged in with his great sword raised, but just as he was going to strike the leopard, it again fled into the wilderness.

As they continued down the Barren Heights along the path, the temperature started to get hotter, and dryer. This caused them to need to stop and take more breaks in the shade when they could find any.

While resting in the shade, the leopard again made an attack, but this time the Lord was ready and cut a deep gash in the side of the large cat. Screaming in pain the cat took off from them heading high up into the heights, where they would never see it again. But just as the leopard ran off, three Dead Warriors charged in with their deadly black swords. The Lord and Tim fended them off, but being out numbered made it difficult to gain any sort of upper hand against the Dead Warriors. The Lord with his armor and sword tried to defend Tim as often as he could, but it allowed for one of the Dead Warriors to flank him each time, and he was just barely able to fend them off. Out of no where a large man in full armor like the Lords jumped into the battle, throwing a sword to Tim, he engaged one of the Dead Warriors. With them now being equally matched Tim, the Lord, and the large man struck down each of the Warriors.

While the Dead Warriors were burning to ash the Lord and Tim learned that the large man was Lord Elie and he had been sent by the Great One to help assist them in their journey to get escort the travelers to the Crystal Kingdom. He explained that the Great One had told him to bring an extra sword for Tim, and to meet them on the Barren Heights.

After going to Lord Elie’s camp to gather his gear the continued down the path and reached the edge of the Smoldering Desert.



© 2014 Byroneus


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

139 Views
Added on June 5, 2014
Last Updated on June 5, 2014


Author

Byroneus
Byroneus

MN



About
I am a Christian outdoors men. more..

Writing