The Crystal Kingdom: Part 5

The Crystal Kingdom: Part 5

A Chapter by Byroneus

The Smoldering Desert

Leaving the Barren Heights they entered the Smoldering Desert. This was the part of the Dark Wilderness with little to no water, and extreme heat.

The path through the Desert did not wonder much, and when it did it was leading to small oasis along the way. At times the path would be lost because of sand dunes that blew over and covered it, but with the help of the Eagle they were able to stay on the path.

The greatest challenge was the heat and water, even with the oasis’ that helped keep them hydrated and their canteens full, they still found themselves becoming dehydrated along the way. The heat was terrible, and with the sun barring down on them it caused mirages.

As they traveled Lord Elie shared with them about himself. He was the Lord at the Wasteland Stronghold, which was on the far side of the Barren Heights. Lord Elie had been stationed there to defend the travelers that would be making their way through the Wasteland on their journeys to the Capital City of the Crystal Kingdom.

The journey through the Smoldering Desert was more difficult than any of the areas they had past through before. It was a long slow journey with no rest from the scorching sun and no end in sight. As time past the tree of them started to become very discouraged, and an argument aroused over if they were still on the correct path. There had been a few other paths that  intersected with theirs at the oasis’, and at the time they had though they had chosen right, but now with not finding any oasis’ in quiet some time, and no end to the Desert, they were having doubts. The argument became more and more heated between them, Lord Elie though they should turn back and take a different route, Tim thought they would be better off cutting through the Smoldering Desert leaving the winding path behind, and the Lord wanted to keep going on the path they were on, because he believed it was the correct one.

As the day slowly crept by and they still had not reached a oasis, the argument between exploded and they each went their separate ways. Tim pointed to a large  rock formation in the distance and said he would be heading that way, using the rock formation as a guide. Lord Elie just turned around and with his horse started riding back to the oasis.

Standing on the path alone, the Lord looked on as his companions left him, he knew they were on the right path, and from all his past mistakes through the Dark Wilderness he knew they were making a huge mistake, but his anger against kept him from trying to find a way to help them see the truth, so he just turned and continued on.

Lord Elie made his way back to the oasis, and just barely with any water left in his canteen. After getting fresh water and some fruit from the trees, he sat down and rested, enjoying the oasis.

Tim trudged along through the Smoldering Desert, the hot sand he could feel through his boots, and the further his traveled the more tired he got.

As Lord Elie rested, and Tim dragged himself through the Desert, the Lord came over a large dune and was relived to find a small oasis, and there not far from it the edge of a the Great Forest. Reaching the Oasis and taking a rest, with his horse Faithful and Eagle nearby, he realized how large of a mistake he had made abandoning his companions’. Gathering some water the Lord turned back to go and get his friends.

While the Lord made his journey back, Lord Elie was being attacked by Dark Watchers at the Oasis, being tired from the journey, Lord Elie was having a difficult time with the Dark Watchers. Finally after they had fled back into the Smoldering Desert he gathered his gear and went to find the correct path. To Lord Elies shock he found the marking of the Crystal Kingdom on the path that he and the others had been walking. The Lord was correct, but the fear of leaving the oasis kept him from moving forward.

The next day the Lord found Lord Elie sitting before the oasis pool. Lord Elie explained his fear of the journey, and the Lord helped him overcome them. Soon after they were back on the path, and would go and find Tim

Tim had journey deep into the Smoldering Desert, his water had run out, but the rock formation he had been following had not seemed to get any closer. Tim knew he had made a deadly mistake, but just as all hopelessness came he looked up to see the Lord’s eagle swooping down, carrying a water canteen; soon after the companions were back together and on the path to the Oasis.

After a rest at the last Oasis the three of them made the last leg of the journey through the Smoldering Desert and reached the Great Forest, here they would meet with the travelers and lead them to the Capital City.



© 2014 Byroneus


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

100 Views
Added on June 7, 2014
Last Updated on June 7, 2014


Author

Byroneus
Byroneus

MN



About
I am a Christian outdoors men. more..

Writing