The Crystal Kingdom: Part 6

The Crystal Kingdom: Part 6

A Chapter by Byroneus

The Great Forest

Entering the Great Forest was a big relief to them. At first it was just an area of some trees growing in the sand and rocks of the desert, but as they travelled further from the Smoldering Desert the trees more frequent and densely populated. They also came across small streams that the path would either follow the edge of, or had a small wood plank bride across. The Great Forest also began to rise upwards, and became hill country with large ravines and cullies that they had to navigate.

Entering into the Great Forest also meant they started seeing more of the Dark Watchers again, but along with them were large vulture like creatures called Harpies. The Harpies were a lot like the Watchers, but Lord Elie explained that he had seen them attack in large groups, which was far more dangerous than the Dark Watchers.

After many days travel they cross the large Tranquil River, which unlike the River of Trials this was a shallow and slow moving river, they were able to wade across. As they continued past the river they were surprised to find three great Tigers laying on the path.

They made their way slowly up to the Tigers with their weapons drawn, but thinking they might be able to get by without waking the large cats they were sadly mistaken. The three Tigers rose to their feet and with loud growls attacked. Lord Elie, Tim, and the Lord all stood their ground against the attacks, like the Lord had done before, and the battle didn’t last long with each of the cats fleeing back into the forest. With the cats retreat the three of them were given no rest as a large flock of Harpies lifted out of the trees and swooped in at them.

Their swords were of little help against the onslaught of Harpies, with every Harpie they took down others would take its place and claw at them. Both Elie’s and the Lord’s horse Faithful were killed by the Harpies. They battled them down the path, trying to flee forward rather than back the way they had come, and Tim noticed a cave where the path lead into up ahead. Charging forward they entered the cave where they found safety from the Harpies. Tim was in bad shape because he had no armor, and they had to rest in the mouth of the cave for a few days while he rested and healed. While resting and waiting for Tim to heal they watched at more and more Harpies came and watched them from the trees near the mouth of the cave, there were also many Dark Watchers and the three Tigers soon reappeared laying on the trail near the cave.

Once Tim was strong enough to continue, and with the large gathering of Harpies, Dark Watchers, and the Tiger outside, they had no choice but to go through the cave system, with the hope that the path had lead through there.

The cave system wound deeper and deeper, and with every twist and turn it also seemed to get darker. The group started to lose any hope that the cave system was where the path had lead, but then after what seemed like days of travel, they started to see the faint appearance of light ahead. The light was not that of the sun but of fire and torches. Moving caustiously they entered a large cavern which was set up as someones camp. As they came into the middle of the camp a beautiful women walked out from another path that lead off to the side, ahead of they could see the path they followed continued out of the cavern.

The woman was the most beautiful lady they had ever seen, and her voice was that of one of The Great Ones choir. She coaxed them into staying and sharing a meal with her, and for many hours they enjoyed her company. As time past she kept purswading them to stay longer and longer, and both Tim and Lord Elie were enticed that they should stay and rest from their long journey. The Lord was not so sure, with everything he had been through on their journey, she seemed like she might be one more of the Dark Ones minions in disguise.

As the Lord tried to get the others to gather their gear and continue on, he put his helmet and armor back on, that he and Lord Elie had taken of as they rested in her cavern. As his last piece of armor went on he seen the women for what she truly was. There standing in their mist was a Gorgon, a large snake women that had the ability to make them see her as something she was not. The Lord slowly drew his sword while the Gorgon was not watching and came up behind her, to the shock and horror of Lord Elie and Tim the Lord cut her head off. As the Gorgon died her spell of seduction left Lord Elie and Tim and they realized what had happened.

The Lord feared that they had taken a wrong turn when they entered the cave system, but the Gorgon had told them that the path would lead back out the other side, so they descided to continue through. Both the Lord and Lord Elie wore their armor the rest of the time in the cave system. When they reached the other exist they were relieved to find that their trail had met back up with the Path and sitting in a tree waiting was the Lord’s Eagle.

Back on the path they did not see any of the Dark Watchers or Harpies, for quiet some time . Actually it was not until they met up with the travelers that they did see any again. When they met the travelers, they found them resting near at small stream in the Great Forest, and all around them were Dark Watchers, Harpies, and more than a dozen Dead Warriors.

The travelers were ten people, a mixture of men, women and children, and they all looked wore out. The Lord talked with them and had found that their travels through the Dark Wilderness had been long and difficult, with no armor, and weapons they struggled to defend themselves, and the Lord learned that they had lost a few of their members.

Turning back around with the travelers to guide they made their way past the entrence to the cave system and soon found a intersection where the path to the Crystal Kingdom went away from the Smoldering Desert and Barren Hieghts, and on to the Capital City.

The journey through the Great Forest was slow with ten travelers to guide. Tim, Lord Elie and the Lord had to be on their guard at all times with so many of the Dark Ones minions following. Almost every time they stopped to rest an attack would come from one of the group of minions, each time they would repel them, and a few times they were able to turn some of the Dark Watchers back into humans, which usually resulted with Dead Warriors attacking in a rage.

As they got closer to the Capital City of the Crystal Kingdom the attacks came more and more frequent, and as the Lord observed more of the Dark Ones minions kept coming.

When they reached a large hill with a clearing at the top they were able to see the Capital City. The travelers and Tim were in awe, the Capital City shined like the sun upon the mountain side it sat upon. The Great Palace of the Great One reflected the sunlight in every direction, and often cast rainbows out of its crystal towers. The Lord sent his eagle to bring news of them coming as they prepared for the last leg of the journey. It was then that the Dark Ones minions made a full on attack. Harpies swooped in from the sky with their razor sharp claws poised, Dark Watchers glided in with daggers out, and the Dead Warriors charged in at the Lord and Lord Elie. The Lord commanded Tim to lead the travelers quickly through the forest and he would have Lord Elie behind them to deal with the Dark Watchers. While they started running down the path towards the edge of the Great Forest, the Lord made a stand against the Dead Warriors.

The travelers ran in fear, with Harpies swooping in and clawing at them. Lord Elie was in the back attacking any Dark Watcher that got to close, and Tim was in the front leading the way. Breaking out of the Great Forest and charging across the plains of the Capital City with Harpies swooping in at them. Most of the Dark Watchers stopped at the Forest edge in fear of the city.

Back on the path the Lord made his stand, there were at least twenty of the Dead Warriors around him. He fought with all the strength, skill, and courage he had. Killing a few while watching to see if the travelers had made it to the plains, when he saw them making their way to the Capital City walls, with what appeared to be a black cloud following them, he then started he flight along the path himself.

As the people reached the city gates, they witnessed what appeared to be a white veil of light lift up off the gates and strike the Harpies. The veil of light was the thousands of arrows that the Dread Champions unleashed.

Far back near the forest edge stood Lord Elie waiting and hoping that the Lord would make it out of the Great Forest. Just as the gates of the Capital City opened to allow the travelers in, the Lord broke out of the Great Forest now with a hundred of the Dead Warriors on his heals, and many Dark Watchers with them. Lord Elie met up with the Lord as they raced for the walls themselves, but the Dark Ones minions were gaining on them. The Lord was fatigued, and as he felt all was lost, that he would not make the gate he saw a sight that he would never forget.

There standing outside the gate was the Great Ones son the Prince and his battalion of Dread Champions on their great stead’s. With the raise of His mighty sword, the Prince and his men made their charge. Like lightning the Prince and His Dread Champions struck the Dark Ones minions, many of than had tried to flee back to the forest but were run down. The Lord and Lord Elie looked on in relief as the battle finished. Riding up the Prince Looked down at the two Lords and smiled, then he and his Dread Champions escorted them into the Capital City.  

When Lord Elie and the Lord entered the city they were greeted by the call of a Dread Champion from the wall, who said welcome home good and faithful soldier. On the street by the gate stood Tim with a smile of relief on his faith, all around stood the travelers each being greeted by loved ones who were already in the Capital City.

The Lord was relieved himself, and greeted by his eagle that came down and landed on his shoulder. Not long after was told by a Dread Champion came up and told Tim, Lord Elie, and the Lord that the Great One request their presence.


 



© 2014 Byroneus


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

102 Views
Added on June 8, 2014
Last Updated on June 8, 2014


Author

Byroneus
Byroneus

MN



About
I am a Christian outdoors men. more..

Writing