"MUNDUS MAGI" Chapter II: "THE HUNT"

"MUNDUS MAGI" Chapter II: "THE HUNT"

A Chapter by schmidt
"

The hunt for the mysterious mark.

"

MUNDUS MAGI

BOOK ONE: DENATOR



 

CHAPTER II: “THE HUNT”

 

“You will accompany her, Aurik. She’ll need an Altus’ strength in her journey.”

“Father? Me?” Aurik abstained. He hated being in a long journey, “I just arrived from a Royal duty in Veram’orr village, maybe Jedrek can go with her. He’s just goofin’ around here anyway.”

“Aurik…” Adalia was disappointed about Aurik’s reluctance. She highly expected his company on that journey.

“Aurik!” there was intensity in King Magnar’s voice. “A mass destruction is about to happen! How could you decide like that?! You’re my eldest son and an Altus; you are bound for Royal duties especially for the best interests of the kingdom.”

“I’m done here father,” he stand on his decision. “I want to get some rest.” Aurik left Adalia’s chamber.

“You’re such a shame!!” The King yelled at him.

 

The scene resonated in Aurik’s mind especially Adalia’s reaction when he reached his bedroom. He was restless. It doesn’t mean the way it looks, Adalia, he thought. He has plans in his own. He cared much for Adalia and even felt something more for her. He couldn’t just show nor say it because they grew up together like siblings. He’s afraid that his feelings might be in vain when Adalia meant everything for him. He believed that it’s not about time yet to express what he feels.

 

Prince Aurik is naturally lethargic when it comes to royal duties. He often complained and felt sick whenever the King sent/asked him to travel for some important matters. He always prefers having a normal life, hunting in the woods and doing ordinary things he likes. He hated being obliged and doing responsibilities but loves the privileges as an Altus. Things only went differently whenever Adalia urged him to do what suppose do be done as an Altus. It wasn’t into his ear she whispered, but into his heart. He does all things for love. She was there for him at all times and now he is in his bed, lying down while she was in despair for not joining her journey.

 

I’ll seek the Nether woman with the mark on my own and prove to her that I am capable of making right decisions and doing right things without her pushing me. If I find the mark first she will see that I’m no longer Aurik she once knew. I’m gonna be out there in my own ways to prove something for her and neither for the Kingdom nor for my father, he told himself.

 

 

The next morning Prince Aurik went to Adalia’s chamber to check on her. When he is about to enter the room he bumped with Prince Jedrek, “What are you doing here?”

“And what are you suppose to be doing here too?” Jedrek threw back the question. He’s always been in rude tone whenever he’s talking to his siblings.

Prince Aurik didn’t mind him asking back. He peeked in Adalia’s chamber from the door and noticed that she wasn’t around, “Where is she?”

“You already looked around, didn’t you? Isn’t it obvious enough that she’s no longer here?” Jedrek was aggravating his older brother.

Aurik was infuriated by his rudeness. He pulled and grasped Jedrek’s collar, “Watch your manners, Jedrek! I could squeeze your brains with a single clutch. That’s if you had a brain.”

Jedrek pushed him and fixed his collar, “I’m on big brother. I’ve been waiting for it.”

Aurik held his temper and thought that he had no time for Jedrek’s absurd behavior. Not for now. “My time would be wasted. Pick someone your own, prick!” Aurik turned back and left.

“Coward!” Jedrek echoed the corridor.

 

 

Aurik headed and knocked on Kalim’s chamber, -- his best friend.

“Good day, Altus Aurik!”

“Kalim, I need you to come with me on a journey.”

“Another expedition? Altus Aurik, we just came back from Veram’orr.” Kalim’s tone was complaining. “Is this another order from the King? Oh my, I haven’t rested enough yet,” he added.

“This is a private thing to deal with. C’mon, pack your things now. Make it fast, we’re leaving,” Aurik commanded. He was agitated to set off.

“YOUR private matter? I’ve never heard that from you before. Where did that spirit of yours came fr---” Aurik gave Kalim a strange stare and he preferred to stop talking. “Okay, I’m packing.” He continued packing into his leather sling bag.

“Hurry!” Aurik was rushing him.

Kalim suddenly paused, “Ahmm… If you don’t mind Altus Aurik, Where are we going?”

“South West, Shyrtas Village. If we fail to find what we’re looking for in that village we will push forward.” He replied.

“We’re going to Nether territory?” Kalim couldn’t absorb what he just heard. His voice was petrified. “Nethers are not fond of visitors, we all knew that.”

“This isn’t a joke, Kalim. Let’s go.”

 

 

Prince Jedrek was about to set off to follow Adalia but Rosenda suddenly blocked his horse, “Where are you going, dear Altus?”

“Get out of my way, Rosenda. I’m in a hurry.”

“I won’t until you tell me where you’re going.”

 

Rosenda is one of the Kingdom’s Ba’es, a Denatorian term that refers to female entertainer or prostitute. She was so obsessed about Prince Jedrek and often stalks him. Her world only revolves for him.

 

“I said stay out of my way!” Jedrek yelled at her.

Rosenda’s eyes went heavy, “Are you mad at me, my dear Altus?”

Jedrek released a deep sigh, “Just get back home, Rosenda. I’m on a journey to Sorrhopia.” There’s calmness in his voice now. He felt compunction by yelling at her.

“A journey?” Her face suddenly brightened, there’s light in her eyes. “I am well trained about my weapon, my dear Altus. My darts could protect you from any threat. Take me with you!” She was thrilled to join his journey but Prince Jedrek shook his head and departed the Kingdom drifting with his horse.

“Altus Jedrek, come back!” Rosenda shouted.

 

 

Aurik and Kalim traveled three nights and four days in reaching the entrance of Shyrtas forest. The village was located at the heart of the woods that was protected by Nether magic. The forest was full of mystery and wild beasts. It is believed that ordinary creature couldn’t survive in passing through the heart of the woods.

 

“We’re here,” Aurik slowed down his horse.

“Are you sure about this, Altus Aurik?” Kalim was hesitant. “I feel strange about this place.”

“Don’t be a baby, Kalim. Let’s get through,” Aurik replied.

 

The sun was at its peak when they reached the thick forest of Shyrtas. Sun-dapple and shadows of tall big trees were dancing upon them. It was full of different unusual plants. The sound of nature filled the place; branches creaking; wind was whistling around trunks/disturbing the leaves, insects humming, and birds singing. They could smell the scent of the flowers in the air.

 

“This is weird,” Kalim uttered.

 

They slowly continued penetrating the forest. Leaves were clattering and dry branches were breaking as they moved vigilantly. Kalim’s body hairs rose involuntarily. He was shaking with fear.

 

“Altus Aurik, I think we should go back,” Kalim said.

“We traveled this far, Kalim. There’s no turning back,” Aurik answered.

 

They both got startled when they heard a thunderous roar.

 

“What was that?” Aurik looked around.

 

The loud roaring sounded nearby. Aurik slowly pulled out his broad enormous sword from its scabbard and Kalim did the same thing with his Spatha; a straight long sword measuring one meter. Moments later they both spotted a dogria sneaking out from big leaves. Dogria is one of the most aggressive animals in Shyrtas forest. They are carnivores, and weighs almost three hundred pounds. They look like big dogs with two long fangs like a walrus, blue thick fur, pointed ears about seven inches long, their eyes were big with purple glowing pupils, doesn’t have a tail and their sharp long claws are lethal. They first thought that it was only one but later did they know they were surrounded by it.

 

 

“Thank you!” Jedrek broke the silence with his sarcastic tone.

Adalia turned to him. She was speechless. Remorse touched her heart for not thanking him in saving her life. Her eyes were showing it.

“The ‘Thank You’ word isn’t a big deal actually,” Jedrek explained. “But this silent treatment is already killing me.”

“I didn’t ask you to follow me and that means I don’t owe you,” she sounds irritated.

 “Whoa! You almost died back there! Why are you playing so hard on me, Adalia?” He is now serious. His eyes were squinting sharply to hers. His eyes were trying to melt the barrier between them.

Adalia snapped her sight, she couldn’t hold it. “Why are you doing all this? Why do you keep bugging me all these years, Jedrek? I wish I won’t see your face ever again!!”

 

For the first time Jedrek felt vulnerable. Thunder rumbled in his head, his heart was clutched that made him weak. He strongly held the grip of his sword trying to endure the excruciating pain he felt. It hurts ten times the cut of a sword and felt like he fell straight from the sky to the ground. Jedrek has a huge crush on Adalia since they were kids and being aware of her feelings towards his older brother, he’s always being annoyed by Aurik’s presence.“How about you, Adalia? Why do you keep hurting me?” his voice was gloomy.

There was a moment of silence. “I-I’m sorry, Jedrek.” Her tone was hesitant. “I just… I love your brother. I love Aurik. My heart already belonged to him. When I saw you around with Rosenda, it was huge relief for me because hurting you is never my intention. You deserve Rosenda than I am, Jedrek. She loves you so much.”

“But you deserve me, Adalia.” He reached her hand and gently kissed it. Gyrah, the unicorn and Jedrek’s horse stopped. “I am the one who’s here for you now and I’m always been. My brother doesn’t care the way I do. I was born with an enormous need for affection, and a terrible need to give it. It is my heart’s pure intent to fully give it to you. I’m asking you Adalia to come and live in my heart.”

She slowly took her hand off from his, “If only I could instruct this feeling that I have for your brother then I would. I appreciate your kindness to me though you’re so arrogant at most times and I felt so sorry being rude to you. I just don’t want to give you false hope. My heart’s already chained to Aurik.”

“And is he unloved with you?” Jedrek asked. He was eager to know if they’re already officially together.

Adalia couldn’t answer straight. She paused. “I don’t know… And I don’t care. But if he won’t love me back this feeling can’t be slacken. I’d rather choose to be alone for eternity than in the arms of someone else. Yesterday wasn’t the first time you save me… Thank you and I’m sorry. Love isn’t something you find, Jedrek. Love is something that finds you.”

“And it found me with you, Adalia. I am very much certain about this. All my life, my heart yearned for something I cannot name. Love is like a wind, something you couldn’t see but can be felt and I felt it in you. You know what, I’m not rushing things here,” Jedrek was composing back his confidence. “I’m not going to stop. I know that you have feelings for me too.” He winked at her and smiled. “It’s just that you’re holding it back.” He teased her.

Adalia was amused by his arrogance, “You’re dreaming, Jedrek.” She smiled back.

Her smile somehow made him feel better. He felt a sudden light in his heart and tenderly touched her cheek with his finger, “That smile… I’ve never seen that for ages.”

“C’mon, Jedrek stop flirting with me. We’re running out of time.” Adalia rushed with Gyrah leaving Jedrek behind.

“Can you give me that look more often?” He shouted following her at the same speed.

“I don’t know,” she answered “but we’ll see.”

“Now you’re giving me a chance.”

“You’re sick! That wasn’t a chance,” she laughed. “I’m just trying to be nice on you from saving my life.” Their speed was now getting faster.

“I’ll still consider it! That tiny degree of hope is sufficient enough to cause the birth of love.” Jedrek couldn’t take off his smile.

“Stop being pathetic!!” She couldn’t take off her smile.

 

 

Meanwhile Aurik and Kalim managed to slay more than a dozen of dogria that surrounded them but Aurik was bitten by one those wild animals.

 

“Damn, Altus! You are bitten.” Kalim said.

The blood was flushing out from his arm. Dogria’s long sharp fang deeply wounded him. He tore a piece of cloth under his armor and Kalim helped him tying it in his arm to stop the bleeding and the venom to spread all over his body.

 

“I guess I should take you back to the kingdom. You need further assistance, Altus. With dogria’s venom you only have five days unless your wound will be treated properly.” Kalim was terribly worried about Aurik’s condition.

“This won’t slow us down, Kalim. I won’t let her down.”

Kalim was intrigued about what he just heard, “Her? Her who?”

“… Adalia. I’m doing this for her. I’m doing what my heart tells me to do. It is the only thing that gives me sense of satisfaction.”

“Since when do you care for that woman?”

“And who gave you the right to question me?”

“Okay, forget about that. Let me help you.” Kalim helped Aurik to stand. “Faith makes all things possible and love makes all things easier.”

 

They continued walking deep into the forest then Aurik’s sight began to blur and suddenly dropped on the ground.

“Altus!!!!” Kalim shouted.

 

Is he going to be alright? Aurik heard a whispering voice of a woman. Her voice was smoky.

Aurik was forcing to open his eyes but he was too weak to do it. He felt a cool thing that somehow absorbs the terrible pain in his wound.

My power can cure any forms of ailments. He will be alright in a few hours. He should take some rest. He heard another woman’s voice. Her voice was silvery and calm.

Who are these women? He thought. They’re probably Nethers but where’s Kalim? I couldn’t sense him. Did they already killed him? But why are they helping me? That idiot!

Maybe he attacked them and they were forced to kill him.

I should make him rest. He is struggling to wake up. The second woman said.

Damn! She knew that I’m conscious and able to hear them.

DUNAMISHIMAS HYPNATALEE!!! The second woman chanted some sort of spell and he was forced to sleep.

 

The second time Aurik woke up, he felt someone was giving him a bed bath. When he opened his eyes the woman got startled. A Nether, she stepped back and her gesture was like a cat ready to scratch him in a moment.

“Hey! Hey! Calm down. I won’t do any harm. I came here in peace.” He said.

The Nether woman composes but she didn’t say a word. She was beautiful and alluring. Nethers wears huge leaves as their clothing, covering only their chest and vital organ. Aurik looked around him. He was inside a hut made of huge leaves and was lying on a broad lumber of gigantic tree.

“Where am I?” He asked.

“Shyrtas. You’re in Shyrtas Village. I am Orianna first daughter of the chieftain. You’re Denatorian, aren’t you?”

“Yes. My name is Aurik"“

“An Altus!” She didn’t let him finished but he nods as an answer on her assumption. “I can tell because you don’t have any tattoos in your body.” Her tone was straight and felt précised about her thoughts.

“Have you seen my friend?”

“You mean the unfriendly one?”

“I guess. Where is he? I hope you haven’t eaten him yet.”

She chuckled, “We Nethers doesn’t eat meat. We keep the balance of this world. We value the creations of God.”

“Sorry but it’s a relief knowing that ‘cause he’s possibly be dead by now.”

“So, are you feeling alright?” She gradually moved closer to him.

“Yeah, thanks! I feel brand new.”

“Of course, you feel asleep for two days.”

“WHAT?!” Aurik was shocked. He immediately jumped out of the bed. “I’ve been wasting my time.” He donned his armor and prepared his things.

Orianna was puzzled by his anxiety. “What’s the matter?”

“Where’s your father? I need to see him. I’m on an important mission and I shouldn’t be lying here for days.”

“Come with me.” She turned around to guide him.

Aurik couldn’t believe what he saw on Orianna’s back, “Orianna?”

She turned to him, “Yes?”

“Is that a tattoo on your back?” He pointed.

“You mean this?” She innocently showed it. “No. Nethers doesn’t wear a tattoo. It’s a birthmark.”

“Come with me!”

“What?! Are you insane? Nethers are forbidden by the queen to leave the Nether territory. I can’t come with you or else I will be executed.”

“But you can save us all! You’re going to save Mysquetonia!”

“Sorry, Aurik. I don’t get you. Maybe my sister only worsens your condition. Dogria are lethal, maybe that’s one of its side effects.” Orianna left the hut and looked for her sister.

Aurik followed her and the next thing he knew when he went out, he was standing at the balcony of the hut which is situated at the top of a huge tree almost thirty-five meters above the ground. Shyrtas Village is a community of Nethers where huts are to be found above the large trees.

Aurik grabbed Orianna’s arm, “I need to speak to the chieftain!”

Orianna’s eyes rolled to his hand.

Aurik was unaware that he’s gripping him tightly, “Sorry… I was carried away by my emotion.”

“Follow me.” She guided him to a larger hut.

 

Vines and roots were hanging on the door and it moved by itself clearing the door.

“Salushinam Altitudinem!!” Orianna greeted his father. Beside him was another charming Nether girl.

“Good to see he’s awaken.” The chieftain said.

“Father this is Aurik, an Altus. Aurik, this is the Village chieftain and my father, Azzan. Beside him is my younger sister, Kenna. She’s the one who healed your wound.” Orianna introduced him.

“Good day to you, sir!” Without a minute to waste, Aurik explained his purpose and Adalia’s vision.

“That’s a horrible thing to happen but Adalia’s vision is always been a reliable source.” Azzan said.

“That’s why I need to take Orianna to our kingdom.” Aurik replied.

Azzan waved his hand, “You’re in haste my, child.” He told Aurik.

“I am chief because we don’t have time to waste.”

Azzan turned to Kenna, “My dear, show it to him.”

Kenna rose from her seat and showed something in her chest.

Aurik’s eyebrows raised, his eyes went large with open mouth while in frozen state. “Another same mark?! How could this be?!”

“That’s what I’m trying to say, Altus.” Azzan said. “Both my daughters possess a mark which is unusual to Nethers like us. So, which of my daughters could be the key in saving this world?”

“Ahmm… I d-don’t k-know, my chief.” Aurik stammered.

 



© 2013 schmidt


Author's Note

schmidt
Please leave me comment. =D
Tell me how the story works...

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

288 Views
Added on May 27, 2013
Last Updated on May 27, 2013
Tags: Fantasy, book, supernatural, love, action, adventure


Author

schmidt
schmidt

Cagayan de Oro, X, Philippines



About
I'm an aspiring writer... I would like to develop my imagination and ability to create stories through writing and my english skills... Hope I could touch other people's interests... more..

Writing