With Hindsight

With Hindsight

A Poem by Chris Shaw
"

Don't we all suffer from this?

"
Many, many moons ago
too many to confess,
I revealed my reasons for parting
and he would remember the rest.

It wasn't my finest hour,
while caught in the cold April rain,
I stumbled on words I was saying
and knew they were causing him pain.

Oh, it wasn't the morning shower
that drizzled his cheeks with wet,
it was the message that I was conveying,
so coldly without a regret.

With hindsight I wish I had waited
not knowing his days were numbered
and the affliction that he would succumb to
would attack and leave him encumbered.

His fate descended in darkness,
on reflection I wish I had known
that his cards were marked by misfortune,
a lament I can not atone.

In a box in my loft I discovered
concealed and hidden for years,
a greeting he sent me one Christmas,
now smudged by my much older tears.

© 2018 Chris Shaw


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Every time I think of regrets, the song, "I did it my way" seems to start playing in my mind. "regrets, I've had a few, but then again, too few to mention" Sometimes relationships end for good reasons and sometimes for not so good reasons but in the end, they were relationships and hopefully there were good times and things were learned along the way. i am sorry for whatever ailment found your friend later in life but that happens too. I do know one thing for sure, a great poem came from the mix, so for that, there should be no regrets at all.

Posted 1 Year Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

1 Year Ago

Thank you will. Yes, I poemed him and I think he would be thrilled to know that. Have a good Sunday... read more



Reviews

Hindsight is indeed a wonderful thing. We cannot beat ourselves about what might have been and I'm just as guilty as any. Or perhaps moreso. But away from the interesting subject, on which I could prevaricate for hours. This is a finely written, almost monologue, (without the humour and I mean that in the finest possible way) poem that simply and literally cries out to be read aloud.

Posted 1 Year Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

1 Year Ago

An old poem Ken, out for an April airing. Hindsight, can always put perspective on situations as wel.. read more
Good morning dear Chris,
Such a wonderfully written poem with such amazing thoughts of regret.
great that as a poet you can write them down..and possibly release a bit of the guilt..
one struggles I think with thoughts of their past .. what they should have.. what they could have.. I know that I do.
people will say Oh the past is the past or things like let it go..or there are far more terrible things in life..but, that is easier said then done.
As we get older our memories get stronger..so again, we as poets are lucky that we have some form that gives us a bit of relief.
Sorry for spelling errors.. i am typing with my left finger as i had a horrible accident yesterday ..fell on my terra costa stone floor and broke my clavicle bone near my shoulder joint. spent hours in the emergency
tomorrow i find out if i need surgery.. horrendous pain..
lisa

Posted 1 Year Ago


Chris Shaw

1 Year Ago

Dear Lisa, I love your reviews but I love this one more. You review when you are in terrible pain. S.. read more
What a sad tale this one tells, Chris. At our age, we all have some regrets. When you left him on that rainy day, you were doing so because you needed to for your own well being. No one knows what tomorrow brings and the fact he became ill soon after was not your fault. That is not something to regret. I am sure you have fond memories of him too. Those are the ones smudging the ink on that Christmas card. Such an outpouring of emotions....and written so well. The rhyming is not forced and each stanza flows into the next. Wonderful work, Chris. Lydi**

Posted 1 Year Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

1 Year Ago

Many thank yous dear Lydi** for sharing your thoughts. You are right, I didn’t know of his illnes.. read more
As the stanzas progress the poignancy and sad notes work to damper the rhymes and place them solidly into the category of a aid to boost rhythm or the message. An interestein rhyme scheme to mix with an otherwise sad memory.

Winston

Posted 1 Year Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

1 Year Ago

Thank you Winston. I appreciate your thoughts. Pleased you stopped by.

Chris
Hmmm ... could we but only undo the damage that we have done, that so often revisits on wings of a guilty conscience. This is beautiful but sad.

Posted 1 Year Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

1 Year Ago

Thank you Linda. Your thoughts are very much appreciated. All the best.

Chris
A very heartfelt poem Chris; we all have regrets and make mistakes but that is human nature; what makes it worse is that the person involved was ill and supposedly you did not know that at the time, so you came to regret it, but that is hindsight and we cannot look back and say I shouldn't have said that because you can't erase it anyway....this is sad, yet very tender....
Best, B

Posted 1 Year Ago


That is sad and painful and filled with tragic regret. It appears we most of us live with regrettable stuff that at the time seemed the best thing to do. It highlights our need for reciprocal kindness and forgiveness. That old greeting card wow, been there and sometimes the older tears are joined by once just fresh. Hard hitting read. Much to meditate on here.

Posted 1 Year Ago


Regrets, the debts we owe ourselves, are so hard to repay. How does one live a life without them when we do not know the consequences of our actions. This was a touching poem Chris and it strikes deep in my soul and I think in many others as well. Well written and with such a great ending verse.

Posted 1 Year Ago


I'm sure we can all find something in our past that we regret. Something that still holds as much weight now as it did then. Being able to move on in cases like that are not easy. I know, I've got a bunch of regrets.

It's often the finalization of someone's death that we realize we could have been less abrasive to them. Perhaps maturity is like one of those people that show up late all the time. And yeah, those if only's are often hard to deal with.

Posted 1 Year Ago


Aah Chris - how beautiful these tender recollections - I bet you were a heartbreaker in your day 😁

Posted 1 Year Ago



First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

418 Views
25 Reviews
Rating
Added on May 7, 2018
Last Updated on May 7, 2018

Author

Chris Shaw
Chris Shaw

Berkshire, United Kingdom



About
Albert, my paternal grandfather introduced me to Tennyson when I was nine. I have loved poetry ever since but did not attempt writing a single piece until I was 40. It's never too late to try somethin.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Change Change

A Poem by Soren


Yo-Yo Yo-Yo

A Poem by Chris Shaw