Against The Odds

Against The Odds

A Poem by Chris Shaw

On Windsor's bank a sapling grows,
straight-backed and graceful light on leaf.
A slender willow yet to weep,
supportive stakes, no sign of grief.

Ten paces to her left resides
a hollowed bole, two metres wide,
where once a mighty willow bowed
and dipped its tresses sweeping green
into the waters cooling flow.

I do not know what fate ordained
or why or how this tree was felled.
Today I heard it call to me.
'Don't fret or grieve for me', it said.
'Look closer at my roots where shoots
will prove I live, I am not dead'.

© 2018 Chris Shaw


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Beautifully penned, as always Chris, and I hope you had a nice time over the christmas period...or a drunk one...or both :)
I see a lot of felled trees up here, as well as damaged ones being removed near the canal paths, and it always makes me feel a little sad, in a "got no respect for their elders" kinda way.
I dont know about down your way, but I was surprised to find out that it isnt the normal diseases causing this, like dutch elm, but they are being removed for environmental reasons.They are leeching all the industries of the pasts excesses back into the waterwaus and being replaced by young and unpolluted versions. Sad sight, the young replacing the old. You'll find that out some day :)
Ps...admit it, that was smooth :)

Posted 5 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

5 Years Ago

That was indeed smooth Lorry. You'll go far :)) Had a good time over the Christmas break. My glass w.. read more
Lorry

5 Years Ago

I heard you all whem n I was crossing the tarmac. Felt like the beatles, until I got tasered for tre.. read more
Chris Shaw

5 Years Ago

:) …..…........



Reviews

Beautifully penned!
It explains the dynamics of life and a strong will... I empathize and correlate this masterpiece.
Sneh

Posted 5 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

5 Years Ago

Thank you Sneh for your very generous review. Your visit very welcome :)

Chris
Sneh

5 Years Ago

You're welcome Chris!
So beautifully written Chris. Your sweet, lyrical words are woven with a melancholy thread of sadness at the plight of living things falling prey to a heartless, faceless reaper. Touching use of personification of the sapling growing strong in the shadow of the felled Weeping Willow, and also of the Willow speaking to herald her resurrection. I love the purity, flow, rhyme, pristine language and the hope expressed in this most stellar write. Kudos to you my friend.


Posted 5 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

5 Years Ago

Dear Annette, you really give such wonderful reviews. Not only are you gifted at writing poetry, but.. read more
I love this. Your rhythm is on point. It has a nice melody to it. A good balance of ups and downs.

Posted 5 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

5 Years Ago

Many thank yous Casey. Pleased to see you visit. All good wishes.

Chris
Beautiful poem Chris. I must admit, it is sad when trees are uprooted and cut down. To make way for this and that. When nature and trees do so much good for the environment and air in general.

Posted 5 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

5 Years Ago

Thank you Dawn. I've become a bit of a tree hugger in my more mature years. What a contrast from whe.. read more
This is an interesting look at the concept of ongoing life drawn from an everyday natural scene. Two figures are seen on a river bank. One is a sapling, the other the hollowed remains of a willow. The sapling, "yet to weep," represents youth, which has yet to experience life's blows. It has supportive stakes around it, which might represent family or social resources which shelter it in its early growth. Nearby, the willow bole stands like a grave marker. It might excite pity, except that it calls out to the narrator and points out that the small shoots around its roots guarantee by their existence the old tree's survival through them. It is an analogy for our own ongoing life through our offspring and our works. After it all, life continues. Well done.

Posted 5 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

5 Years Ago

Many thank yous John. I like the way you have interpreted my lines. Love your response. All good wis.. read more
Beautifully sad, but happy. I can imagine being in her shade on the banks there. Wonderfully written and rhymed too!

Posted 5 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

5 Years Ago

Thank you Richard, yes there is contrast here and also hope. Your visit dear friend much appreciated.. read more
I love willows they are the perfect picture of a lazy summer day or great prose for sorrow. Either way I love this poem and if a willow falls in the forest a poet will hear it.

Posted 5 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

5 Years Ago

Thank you dear Cherrie. Willows are incredibly beautiful trees. Their movements are so graceful. You.. read more
Cherrie Palmer

5 Years Ago

Reading your poem was a pleasure.
Chris Shaw

5 Years Ago

You are always most welcome Cherrie.
Nature and its wonders, and the observers of the world. They are a match for death and entropy for sure. this has a keen eye and a great big heart. You always show us the beauty or reality that surrounds us but we may be too busy to notice.

Posted 5 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

5 Years Ago

Thank you Crowley. I have more time to notice as I am no longer employed, having taken early retire.. read more
Such is the beauty of nature, when left to its own devices. Wonderfully written.

Posted 5 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

5 Years Ago

Thank you so much Lyn. Have to agree with you, nature is both beautiful as well as surprising.
read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

717 Views
34 Reviews
Rating
Added on December 26, 2018
Last Updated on December 26, 2018

Author

Chris Shaw
Chris Shaw

Berkshire, United Kingdom



About
Albert, my paternal grandfather introduced me to Tennyson when I was nine. I have loved poetry ever since but did not attempt writing a single piece until I was 40. It's never too late to try somethin.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Escape Escape

A Poem by Chris Shaw