Sing Me A Song Of Warmer Days

Sing Me A Song Of Warmer Days

A Poem by Chris Shaw
"

(archived)

"
Through winter's cold and dreary months,
when black ice clings to hardened ground.
When snowdrifts linger in the fields,
when frost will kiss the thorny hedge.

When all around is stark and bare
and sounds of spring are far away.
I ask you sing a song for me
and play along on your guitar?

Remind me that the seasons pass,
that chills and shivers do not last.
For soon the soothing, warming sun
will come again and bring its cheer.

All frozen days will melt away
and you my love will still be here.

© 2019 Chris Shaw


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

The harshness of some seasons robs life of its love. We never quit hoping that the love of our life stays on through sickness and adversity. So relatable are your feelings here, Chris. The description of the starkness of winter is very vivid and adds to the weight of the message. Another great poem from you, Chris.

Posted 5 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

5 Years Ago

Many thanks DIVYA, as the end of January approaches, and my sad January anniversaries have gone, I l.. read more



Reviews

In my area of the United States, Spring has yet to settle in.
Winter seems never-ending.
Look forward to that "soothing, warming sun."
Thoroughly enjoyed this poem, Chris!



Posted 3 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

3 Years Ago

Hope the warmth of spring reaches you soon Jimmy. Thanks for your encouraging review.

.. read more
missed this in the winter months Chris ... reading it now is a fine reminder for me of the cycles in seasons .. a miraculous wonderment says i! ... and reminds me how much i do not miss these kinds of winters ... SD could be brutal at times ... tho we still have the beauty of season changes ... they are not so extreme ;) i particularly noticed your gift of rhythm and order in your lines and sonnet like form .. without any rhyming .. and it reads so smoothly and the images and feelings evoked are crisp and universal (unless of course one has never seen temps below 70s ;) list me as a fan my friend!

Posted 4 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

4 Years Ago

Dear Mr E, thank you so much. So pleased you caught this one second time around and in finer climes .. read more
Einstein Noodle

4 Years Ago

awwwwwwwwwww
Chris Shaw

4 Years Ago

:)).............
This makes me think of a warm acoustic melody near a fireplace. I'm experiencing winter at the moment, so this poem is particularly warming and hopeful. I really liked how the third stanza seems uncertain about whether or not winter will end and love will still be there, but it's resolved with optimism in the last lines. Thank you!

Posted 4 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

4 Years Ago

Many thanks for giving this one an airing. An older poem, but it reminds me of an old friend. Happy .. read more
Lovely poem. Strong imagery makes me feel the cold of the ice. I love the rhyming. Very charming poem and an uplifting happy ending.

Posted 5 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

5 Years Ago

Thank you so much for your lovely review. Your visit, really appreciated.

Chris
This sonnet is not just a description of the weather or a love poem, but a metaphor for life itself. The imagery of the first two verses symbolize the trials and the barrenness that we sometimes must face. The rest of the poem is an assurance that hard times pass, just like everything else. The love that will still be there may be a reference to a Higher Love. Well done, but why is there a question mark at the end of verse 2?

Posted 5 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

5 Years Ago

Thank you very much John for your thoughtful response. This is an old poem from my archives, so I re.. read more
Very nice poem! I enjoyed it a lot! It had a good flow which made it easy to read!

Posted 5 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

5 Years Ago

Thank you JungLee. Pleased you enjoyed my lines. All good wishes.

Chris
NotUsinganymore

5 Years Ago

You're welcome. c: Please check out my newest North Korean story c:
I am feeling this one. As a sunseeker I would like to emigrate or hibernate for the winter. This applies to love's winter too as you have eloquently captured in this piece Chris.

Posted 5 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

5 Years Ago

Thank you John. You have interpreted the meaning perfectly.

Chris
I love your title to this piece and your poem gave me much warmth while reading. I'm always inspired by the flow and rhyming patterns in your poems. :)

Posted 5 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

5 Years Ago

Many thanks Dr Y. Kind of you to say so.

Chris
I really enjoyed this write, beautiful.

Posted 5 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

5 Years Ago

Thank you Brandie Jade. Pleased you enjoyed.

Chris

First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

772 Views
27 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on January 23, 2019
Last Updated on January 23, 2019

Author

Chris Shaw
Chris Shaw

Berkshire, United Kingdom



About
Albert, my paternal grandfather introduced me to Tennyson when I was nine. I have loved poetry ever since but did not attempt writing a single piece until I was 40. It's never too late to try somethin.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


It rained today It rained today

A Poem by Gee