Where the Loddon Lily Grows

Where the Loddon Lily Grows

A Poem by Chris Shaw

I have laid him to rest
where the Loddon lily grows,
I have laid him to rest 
where the winter winds will blow
I have laid him to rest
where no one else shall know
And though my heart is aching
my soul is torn and breaking,
I have laid him to rest,
I have laid him to rest.

© 2019 Chris Shaw


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Your poem is so touching Chris. It is a beautiful elegy, a dirge that sings mournfully. A Loddon lilly must eloquently symbolize life and loss. “I have laid him to rest..where no one else shall know”- a forbidden love or a love too precious to share perhaps? The graceful symmetry, lyrical words, rhyme and repetition enhance the deep emotion evoked in the lines. “I have laid him to rest”-yes, but never to be forgotten. Amazing write.

Posted 5 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

5 Years Ago

Dear Annette, what a beautiful response. Yes, never forgotten. Thank you so much.

Chr.. read more



Reviews

A wonderful eulogy, that is mournful, moving and beautiful touching. For someone, you will miss and grieve over for a very long time. As you love them dearly

Posted 4 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

4 Years Ago

Many thanks Dawn, appreciating your comments.

Chris
I could feel the sadness, the acceptance. I had to look-up the Lodden lilly. We must release memory, faces and places. Sometimes, impossible to do. Thank you dear Chris for sharing the amazing poetry.
Coyote

Posted 5 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

5 Years Ago

Thank you Coyote. Yes the acceptance and the release can be very difficult.

Chris
Coyote Poetry

5 Years Ago

I do understand dear Chris and you are welcome my friend.
Chris Shaw

5 Years Ago

Thank you Coyote. Have a lovely day my friend.
Tis sad ...but oh so beautifully penned in poetic verse with rhyme and rhythm spot on..lovely piece here Chris

Posted 5 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

5 Years Ago

Thank you so much Fran Marie for your thoughtful response. Hope all is good in your world.
read more
This poem made me wonder what is going in with my friend so far.... ‘I have laid him to rest, where the london lily grows’ As the flowers most often associated with funerals, lily could be symbolize here for the dead soul that has just departed!
I might be wrong. Very thoughtful poem .... feel better!

Posted 5 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

5 Years Ago

Thank you HB Rita. Thank you so much for wishing me better. Most thoughtful of you my friend.
.. read more
Chris,
To leave behind the memory of a person . . . whether it be friend or enemy . . . to release the emotion that traps us in regret or obsession. Relinquishing may be the hardest part of living, but is most freeing. Good write my Lady.
Tom

Posted 5 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

5 Years Ago

Many thanks Tom. Relinquishing is very much the hardest part. I very much appreciate you thoughts.read more
Beautiful Christine love this, so poignant, sad and true. xx

Posted 5 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Julie McCarthy (juliespenhere)

4 Years Ago

Hi Chris yes I am well hope you are too, just getting used to being type 2 diabetic, I know its not .. read more
Chris Shaw

4 Years Ago

That is painful for you to find out. I also have a sweet tooth and know I would find it very difficu.. read more
Julie McCarthy (juliespenhere)

4 Years Ago

Thanks Chris x
When someone's journey on this earth is over, there is nothing more we can do to reverse the situation, but say a forever good by and let them Rest In Peace. The care and love you show... how you laid him to rest in a beautiful place is heart breaking, chris. I hope the memories slowly ease their grip of pain on your heart.

Posted 5 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

5 Years Ago

Many thanks Mrudula for your compassionate words. You show such kindness. All the best to you.
.. read more
Mrudula Rani

5 Years Ago

You are most welcome,Chris, tudo de bom para você Querida. ( wishing you all the best).
Chris Shaw

5 Years Ago

Thank you Mrudula
The line ''where no one else shall know'' gives me the impression this poem is not about a funeral. I think it must concern someone who was deeply cared for but is no longer in the poet's life. Perhaps the work is about someone the memory of whom brings back feelings of pain, and what we are seeing is the poet's way of saying it has now been laid to rest in the past. Sometimes such efforts are necessary.

Posted 5 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

5 Years Ago

Many thanks for your insights John. All good wishes.

Chris
I am not sure what the reference is but this is a sad reminder of the four-legged loves we have lost over time, all badly missed

Posted 5 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

5 Years Ago

Hello Dave, yes all loss is difficult to deal with. Thanks for review g and have a good day.
.. read more
this made my eyes start to water...i should pour some on the Lilly...
so sad and beautiful as tribute...and effective use of repetition with the last line.
j.

Posted 5 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

5 Years Ago

Many thanks for your lovely review Jacob. Yes the weather has been dry recently and plants need wate.. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

452 Views
22 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on April 25, 2019
Last Updated on April 25, 2019

Author

Chris Shaw
Chris Shaw

Berkshire, United Kingdom



About
Albert, my paternal grandfather introduced me to Tennyson when I was nine. I have loved poetry ever since but did not attempt writing a single piece until I was 40. It's never too late to try somethin.. more..

Writing
Locket Locket

A Poem by Chris Shaw



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..