Out of Ashes

Out of Ashes

A Poem by Chris Shaw

do not go to Lidice
unless your heart is strong
else it will break in pieces

for standing taller than in life
varying in size, build and height
eighty two children cast in bronze

a monument to defy what took place
a village emptied in its entirety 
razed to the ground in reprisal

should you dare look further
into those haunted innocent faces 
you will see, confusion, misery

no teddy bear comfort there
little hands clutch elder siblings
in bewildered despair

do not go to Lidice
unless your heart is strong
do not go there

© 2020 Chris Shaw


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Had to look up the name and came across a page with such impact for its brevity, just like you have done here.
It said they tried to wipe it out of existence and failed, asit has been fully restored as a memorial and that many places across the globe now share its name in a show of unity.
A beautiful gesture that defies the hatred once visited upon them.
I think I'll give it a miss Chris, but beautifully penned.

Posted 3 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

3 Years Ago

Many thank yous Lorry. Pleased you looked it up and know the full story of what took place there. It.. read more



Reviews

[send message][befriend] Subscribe
...
I was born at Czech republic and Lidice was school trip what happen every year . That time i don't think too much about that place. Just like symbol of horrible event. At my country village Lidice is quiet still strong symbol of all victims of WW2. There is also another village with name Lezaky which had same fate . Like little boy i always wonder why this evil things happening. Well we still have horrible events at central Africa or middle east. It's all happen and we are helpless when we learn about it. Your lines are simple with clear message. By the way landscape around the Lidice is quiet beautiful with deep woodlands .

Posted 3 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

3 Years Ago

Thank you so much for choosing to comment on this poem. I came across the story of Lidice, by chance.. read more
...

3 Years Ago

I think whatever humans do . Nature is always beautiful and full of mystery. I wish if people will b.. read more
...

3 Years Ago

I think whatever humans do . Nature is always beautiful and full of mystery. I wish if people will b.. read more
Reinhard "The Hangman" Heydrich was also known as "The Butcher of Prague." When the Czech resistance assassinated him in May of 1942,in that city, the Nazis carried out a massacre at Lidice, a nearby village, in reprisal. As the poem notes, they also razed the place. This work really communicates the effect that visiting the site can have. Though he died in pain, Heydrich was lucky in one sense, for he surely would have been hanged at Nuremberg.

Posted 3 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

3 Years Ago

Thank you John, and you know the history well. Please accept my apologies for my slow response to th.. read more
Hi Christine, Thanks for the geography and history lesson. You very convincingly taught me not to go to Lidice. Trust me. I am not going to Lidice. Very nice poem. Nicely crafted. I have never owned a teddy bear but I get the picture. I'm sure there is more comfort to be found in a stuffed animal toy than in a war. Have a wonderful day. Earl

Posted 3 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

3 Years Ago

Many thanks for your visit and review Earl. Most appreciated. Sending my best wishes to you.
.. read more
i wasn't aware of the fullness of the Lidice story, i knew of heidrich being killed & some reprisals but not the full extent. how horrible ! thanks for making me aware.

yet no matter how horrible the event, human beings continue to succumb to their evil emotions & do hatred killings, be it during war or in civilian cities in all countries around the world.

countries are good at erecting memorials, but not good at learning lessons from it as it continues to happen over the centuries.

it starts off with bullying, a hateful personal character flaw.... in school, facebook, at work, etc.

it's almost like we need to have permanent & compulsory anger management classes in all schools for all kids, & for all adults via community associations & in the workplace around the whole world.
my opinion, for what it's worth.
cheerio carola

Posted 3 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

3 Years Ago

You are so right carola, we do not learn the lessons. This is a very sad piece of history. Thank you.. read more
[send message][befriend] Subscribe
LJ
Such strong imagery! I think you show this subject well, and make our hearts quail while reading it. Your description, simple and elegant, paints a picture I won't soon forget. This is poetry that really opens hearts and tests their strength. It's very good and I'm glad you shared it. If there was one thing I'd change, it's just to add a hyphen between "eighty" and "two" so the number is clear. It's up to you, of course. I see nothing else I'd change. Your work here is powerful and dynamic. Thanks for this poem!

Posted 3 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

3 Years Ago

Thank you for your thoughtful review LJ. I appreciate your visit. All good wishes.

Ch.. read more
I am sure I would not want to go there. I know the story of Lidice....all the men were killed and all the children sent away. The entire village fell victim to the Third Reich. A dark spot in the history of the world for sure. Your words are powerful, Chris. Lydi*

Posted 3 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

3 Years Ago

Thank you Lydi*. Yes the children were sent to concentration camps and were killed there. Many of th.. read more
I have not look up the name yet but I already have a taste of what is it about. The description wore a sinister yet touching tone that is easy for us to grasp. Nice writing.

Posted 3 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

3 Years Ago

Thank you Lovely poet for your response. I appreciate your thoughts.

Chris
The world has seen endless massacre such as this. And each time we see or hear about them, we are haunted with insecurity. Human life has become inexpensive. They are only remembered in memorials.
You never fail to evoke emotions. I love to read your works.

Posted 3 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

3 Years Ago

Dear Ayesha, thank you for your thoughts and kindness. You are appreciated.

Chris
Chris, this is beautifully penned, so haunting.


Posted 3 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

3 Years Ago

Tragic situation Ana. We need to remember how awful our species can be. Thank you.

Ch.. read more
I guess raping women, slaughtering them and children absolutely makes some feel so dominant...
Really proves manhood...for sure...
and the concentration camps...no conscience...all who partook, should have been murdered in the same fashion...
smoked in the same ovens they used.
powerful write, Chris.
j.

Posted 3 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

3 Years Ago

Thank you Jacob. Hard to believe what our species is capable of. Important though we don:t forget.read more

First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

525 Views
33 Reviews
Rating
Added on May 15, 2020
Last Updated on May 15, 2020

Author

Chris Shaw
Chris Shaw

Berkshire, United Kingdom



About
Albert, my paternal grandfather introduced me to Tennyson when I was nine. I have loved poetry ever since but did not attempt writing a single piece until I was 40. It's never too late to try somethin.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Doorsteps Doorsteps

A Poem by Chris Shaw