Child of Conflict

Child of Conflict

A Poem by Chris Shaw

small hands fit tight in pockets
he stands alone beside a freshly dug
makeshift grave
.
blue hooded anorak provides
minimal protection against bitterly
cold winds
.
boots caked in thick mud
his grey trousers dirt stained
eyes wide open full moon misting
.
never again to see her warm smile
or to feel her loving embrace
when in need of comfort
.
today's reality strikes
bullet like into the hearts
of those with compassion
.
a child of six left bereft
his mother gone while brutality
and savagery live on 

© 2022 Chris Shaw


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

A casualty of war. Life lost, while savagery soars. It's heartbreaking when those lives are lost, as a result of conflicts that others more powerful than the average citizen can't resolve themselves, in this poem, a child lost his dear mother, someone they cared alot about, and someone who cared about them. How will their lives ever be the same again? What good ever comes out of war?? Nothing. Yet, we continue to have it all because of greed, conflict,that powerful people are too childish to resolve themselves and responsibly. A candid read.

Posted 1 Year Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

1 Year Ago

Dear Aura, thank you for sharing your thoughts. I agree with all you have said. A tragedy with imme.. read more
Aura

1 Year Ago

My pleasure.



Reviews

[send message][befriend] Subscribe
Gee
They are the photos that break hearts, children staring vacantly at camera's, alone amidst the madness of " grown ups" squabbling, orphaned many a time.
What drives him ?
Good morning Christine, off to walk the hound then 50 miles on the bike to tenderise my cheeks...anyone got any Johnson's talc :))
Hope you are well ma'am

Posted 2 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

2 Years Ago

Those are all questions many would like to ask him Gee. Now you take care with your training. I don'.. read more
I too find it hard to believe that the world is standing idly by while this monster continues to devastate the people of Ukraine. I know they aren't completely idle, but they are not providing them with what they need the most. Are they kidding themselves about provoking Russia? Do they seriously suppose that this megalomaniac will stop after he tears Ukraine apart? Have they never heard of Adolph Hitler?

Take care - Dave

Posted 2 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

2 Years Ago

You are so right Dave. We have another one of those on our doorstep. As if one wasn't bad enough to .. read more
Reality does indeed strike in this brutally evocative poem.

Posted 2 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

2 Years Ago

Thank you Ken. Have a very happy Easter. So sad what conflict brings. Heartbreaking.

.. read more
In the Holodomor Russia, under Joseph Stalin, intentionally starved over four million people to death. There were emaciated corpses lying along the sides of the roads in Ukraine. The rest of the world may have forgotten but the Ukrainian people are well aware of the evil they face. They have faced it before. Millions of more lives are at stake now due to the same type of aggression. Millions of lives in Syria depend on Ukraine for humanitarian aide. This has so much more to about than an invasion as an act of war. It's about controlling the food supply through the largest grain producing country in Europe. Russia is doing the same thing now they did in the 30's when millions starved to death under the tyranny of Stalin.

Posted 2 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

2 Years Ago

Dear Fabian, I am aware of Ukraine and the importance of grain. Know they are a bread basket for mil.. read more
A child of conflict indeed, but moreover, because of a world of conflict. We will never know a world without it. Until Jesus comes back, and the world will finally have peace.

Posted 2 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

2 Years Ago

Oh for a world filled with peace. Wouldn't that be wonderful. Thank you light abd ashes

read more
light and ashes

2 Years Ago

You are very welcome
It strikes my heart to see this little guy, having to face such horrors, for who would wish those horrific experiences on anyone?
I believe in your words here that you’ve captured the raw anger, disbelief and emotions of so many of us Chris, thank you.


Lathe

Posted 2 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

2 Years Ago

Many thanks Lathe. Unbearable to witness the suffering, to have to endure it beggar's belief.
.. read more
Unfortunately, there will always be and have always been men with no empathy for humankind. Only reasons for their madness. We live in a cruel world.

Posted 2 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

2 Years Ago

Thank you Tim. We do live in a cruel world. Nothing changes. We are supposed to be more civilised wh.. read more
it is unforgivably tragic

Posted 2 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

2 Years Ago

It is both abhorrent and tragic Dave. While we look on. Enjoy your painting my friend.

.. read more
This is soooo brilliantly descriptive, outweighed only by the brevity of the situation and utter hopelessness it brings. You have created a mood and scene that one ca't pull their eyes away from.

Posted 2 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

2 Years Ago

Thanks Crowley. Tears your heart out, what we witness from afar. Totally senseless suffering.
.. read more
I wonder what might happen if the self styled 'macho man' Putin was given a rifle and told to get up on the front line? My bet is he would revert to type and cower and skulk in the background like the nasty little ex KGB spy that he is.

My heart bleeds for Ukraine, but I also have sympathy for the thousands of Russian mothers who will never see their young sons again. Eventually the truth will prevail, but meantime, the cost is terrible.

Your poem and the imagery it conjures up is a powerful indictment of a man this world would be better off without.

Beccy.



Posted 2 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

2 Years Ago

He is a coward probably hiding in his compound surrounded by a private army at his beck and call. I.. read more
Chris Shaw

2 Years Ago

Oops I meant Beccy, sorry for typo.

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

380 Views
29 Reviews
Rating
Added on April 8, 2022
Last Updated on April 8, 2022

Author

Chris Shaw
Chris Shaw

Berkshire, United Kingdom



About
Albert, my paternal grandfather introduced me to Tennyson when I was nine. I have loved poetry ever since but did not attempt writing a single piece until I was 40. It's never too late to try somethin.. more..

Writing
My love My love

A Poem by Chris Shaw



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Forever summer Forever summer

A Poem by Gee