Stolen

Stolen

A Poem by Chris Shaw
"

Lyrical

"
my love he brings me strawberries
fresh from summer’s garden
reddened ripe by sunlight
rinsed by cleansing rain
and in his loving giving
through all our days of living
i question why another
still bleeds within my veins

© 2023 Chris Shaw


Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Incredibly relatable and visceral in its emotional message. Love does that to us. We can do nothing but be swept by its tide and hope that its force of nature eventually ripples to a calm tranquility. Because in the end we are left with its haunting memory. The good, the bad, the terrible, and the beautiful.

Posted 10 Months Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

10 Months Ago

Hello Carlos. Thank you so much. Yes, swept by its tide is a wonderful way of putting it. I hope all.. read more



Reviews

Another bleeds within my veins. How complex the human psyche can be at times.

Posted 10 Months Ago


Chris Shaw

10 Months Ago

Dear Akinlolu, I agree with you. Many thanks fir calling on this poem. Have a happy Wednesday.
read more
Maybe because humans love seeking answers to things that are best left untouched. Or maybe because we haven't learned to differentiate between love and infatuation...

For me, it'll be because I don't like strawberries :P

Such a pleasure reading you again, Chris. x

Posted 10 Months Ago


Chris Shaw

10 Months Ago

Thank you Yumna for the smile. Lovely to have a visit from you again.

Chris
A colourful piece in two ways. Rather gives me a tingle. (Oh, and I do rather like strawberries!)

Posted 10 Months Ago


Chris Shaw

10 Months Ago

Many thanks Andrew. I think most people love strawberries in July when they are at their sweetest. H.. read more
Boy do I relate to this! It really is the most difficult thing to understand. Somethings will never be understood but will remain in our veins. Well penned!

Posted 10 Months Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

10 Months Ago

So pleased you enjoyed the read. If it’s relatable, then that might or might not be so enjoyable. .. read more
Analyzing the poem you provided requires a deep consideration for its themes, imagery, and emotional resonance.

In "My Love He Brings Me Strawberries," is a poetically beautiful portrayed scene of love and nature intertwined.

The opening line immediately establishes the presence of love, using the possessive "my love," which creates a personal connection between the speaker and the subject of the poem.

The strawberries serve as a symbolic representation of affection and sensuality.

The mention of summer's garden evokes an image of vibrant and flourishing nature. It suggests a season of warmth, growth, and abundance. This setting enhances the atmosphere of the poem, contributing to the overall theme of love's richness and vitality.

You further emphasize the ripeness of the strawberries, which have been "reddened ripe by sunlight." Here, the imagery of the sun's rays adds a touch of passion and intensity to the portrayal of the fruit.

It suggests that the love shared between the poet and their beloved has reached a mature and fulfilling state.

The mention of the strawberries being "rinsed by cleansing rain" introduces a sense of purification and renewal. This line implies that their love has been nurtured and cleansed by life's experiences, including both joyous and challenging moments. It suggests that their connection has endured and grown stronger through these shared experiences.

The following lines, "And in his loving giving, through all our days of living," convey a deep sense of gratitude and appreciation. The poet acknowledges the continuous presence of their partner's love throughout their shared journey. This recognition further enhances the poem's theme of enduring love and commitment.

However, the concluding line, "I question why another still bleeds within my veins," introduces an element of inner conflict and uncertainty.

It reveals a hint of emotional turmoil within the poet, suggesting the presence of a past love or lingering attachment that continues to affect them.

This line adds a layer of complexity and introspection to the poem, raising questions about the nature of love, its lasting impact, and the potential for conflicting emotions.

As a poet myself, I commend this poem for its skillful blend of natural imagery, emotional depth, and the exploration of love's complexities.

The use of vivid language and symbolism effectively conveys the profound emotions associated with love, while the final line leaves the reader with a sense of contemplation and intrigue.

Overall, this poem offers a rich and nuanced exploration of the complexities of human relationships, making it a compelling piece of literary art.

Posted 10 Months Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

10 Months Ago

Thank you so much. Pleased you found some value in this short poem. Have a great Monday.
read more
Hi Chris, your poem is powerful and its brevity makes it all the more so. Very nicely penned.

Posted 10 Months Ago


Chris Shaw

10 Months Ago

Thank you so much for your lovely comment Isola. You are appreciated.

Chris
Isola

10 Months Ago

Thank you Chris 🦋
Oh wow. I was shocked at the last two lines. It's such a short Poem but the twist at the end is very impactful. Its a little window into the guilt of the main character's feelings for someone else. Clever!

Posted 10 Months Ago


Chris Shaw

10 Months Ago

Thank you so much for your thoughts here Dianne. Pleased that such a short poem can have such impact.. read more
A lovely lyrical piece atuned to the pleasant days
and gifts of the present and yet the past seeps
through.those unforgettable thoughts of another
bleed through the veins..
Nice work




Posted 10 Months Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

10 Months Ago

Dear Fran, thank you so much for your visit and your charming review. Have a great Monday.
.. read more
Marvellous Chris - throughout my 2 marriages I was haunted by the 'ghost' of my First Love - and it appears you are similarly haunted. A lovely Lyric for a July afternoon in England ✨️✨️✨️✨️✨️

Posted 10 Months Ago


Chris Shaw

10 Months Ago

Thanks Tony. Pleased you enjoyed my poem and thanks for your share. Happy Monday.

Ch.. read more
Has something of an old English folksong about it. Also has the air of "the one that got away." I wouldn't bring this one up at family reunions.

Posted 10 Months Ago


Chris Shaw

10 Months Ago

Thank you John. Pleased you noticed the lyrical content. Have a wonderful Sunday.

Ch.. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

527 Views
25 Reviews
Rating
Added on July 15, 2023
Last Updated on July 15, 2023

Author

Chris Shaw
Chris Shaw

Berkshire, United Kingdom



About
Albert, my paternal grandfather introduced me to Tennyson when I was nine. I have loved poetry ever since but did not attempt writing a single piece until I was 40. It's never too late to try somethin.. more..

Writing
My love My love

A Poem by Chris Shaw



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Change Change

A Poem by Soren