Rendezvous With An Angel

Rendezvous With An Angel

A Chapter by Steven Cash

---

 Chapter One

---

“You are going to do what?” Jhanili asked, somewhat still in disbelief.

I laughed slightly, bringing a finger to my lips. “I want to go and see how the preparations are coming along for the Harvest Festival.”

I continued to wash my face in the glass bowl, scrubbing away at whatever dirt and grime I was too tired to wipe away from the adventure the night prior. I looked back at my reflection, staring deep into my sapphire blue orbs. From the dresser I produced a brush and began to fix my hair, all the while being stared at by Jhanili.

Apparently he wasn’t letting it go.

“It is barely the five o’clock, and you are going out again?” he prodded,  “Isn’t one adventure enough for now?”

I set down the brush. There was only so much my curly hair could take, anyway. “Jhanili, is it not normal to be curious? To want to see how I am going to be honored?”

“Well, that much is true, my Prince, but must I be expected to go?”

I patted his shoulder. “Are these old bones getting tired of running with me?”

“Back-to-back, yes. I need some rest myself. And so do you. If you wish to go out, take Aaron with you. You are quite fond of him, are you not?”

“Aaron? The boy has no imagination,” I protested. "Besides, you don't have to go. It's just customary."

“You won’t need imagination, unless you are doing something more than just touring the progress.”
            With that he folded his arms and shot me his look. It was a look I had seen many times before, mostly when I was caught dead to rights. As always, he pursed his lips and squinted at me. But only his right eye, his left eye stayed open as if it refused to be in step with the other.

And he was right, as always. This time around my secret motive was seeing the temple slave girls. You see, before the festival begins, at the time when the sun is completely visible over the horizon, the Twelve High Priests make a sacrifice in the temple. There is also an offering collected, but that is taken the week before.

Nevertheless, while the sacrifice is made all of the slave girls from the temple, including the girls the High Priests barter off as prostitutes, are outside waiting for the sacrificial ceremony to be done. And that is where I planned to go, and talk with some of the girls.

            But if Jhanili knew, he would thoroughly forbid be from going.

            “I will just make the trip alone. How does that sound?”

            Jhanili kept his stare. “If you go alone, carry your sword and dagger. There are many travelers in the area, and you must keep safe.”

            “I am surprised you aren’t sending me with a platoon of soldiers.”

            “Your training at the academy served you well enough,” he said. “If you are going to go, you better be quick about it. Your uncle is not as forgiving and lenient as I am.”

---

            The air was cool and misty, clinging to my arms like a blanket. The streets were relatively empty, except for a few straggling citizens. As usual, they were shocked to see me but were very excited and cordial.

            From about a hundred paces away, I could see the spires of the temple�"one for each of the original twelve high priests enlightened on Mount Uriah by the Great God Suri, a long time ago.

            And there outside all seated on the steps were about a dozen girls. Nine wore all white dresses, and red belts to match their red headdresses, and the other three wore blue dresses and white belts.

            “Hello, ladies,” I said.

            They all turned to see who I was, then immediately looked towards the ground in an attempt not to make eye contact. The one closest to me, a golden haired young one, about maybe fourteen, came and bowed at my feet.

            I picked up off the ground and brushed the dirt from her white dress, and from her cheeks. I could feel her trembling in my arms, and hear her shallow breathing.

“I am not God,” I soothed, “So you should not bow. I am not the devil, so you should not fear my gaze. Look at me.”

            Carefully, she looked up at me. I got lost in her deep yellow eyes for a few moments. She was truly a beautiful girl with soft skin, a beautiful complexion.

            I smiled softly, and she returned the smile. Ah, what a warm and beautiful smile. It seemed to warm up the world around me. I no longer felt the cool of the morning with her so near.

            “What is your name?” I asked, regaining my speaking abilities.

            “My name is Tyrina, milord.”
            “Such a beautiful name to fit such a beautiful girl.”

            I could see her soft cheeks turn rosy as she bashfully looked away. “Why, thank you, milord.”

            “Are you a servant of the high priests?”
            “Yes, milord.”

            “Do you enjoy it?”

            Her smile faded. She looked behind her at the temple door before speaking again. “No, milord, but I do what I am told.”

            “Well, maybe I can make some kind of arrangement to get you to work in the palace instead.”

            The look of joy on her face was beyond explanation. “Oh, milord, I cannot express my gratitude!”
            “Your beautiful smile is gratitude enough,” I said.



© 2012 Steven Cash


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

"As always, he pursed his lips and squinted at me. But only his right eye, his left eye stayed open as if it refused to be in step with the other." The second sentence is incomplete. I think it would sound better if it was written, "As always, he pursed his lips and squinted at me, but only with his right eye. His left eye stayed open as if it refused to be in step with the other."
You have an excellent vocabulary for your age and use the words correctly. Bravo! Don't overdo it, though. " Sapphire blue orbs" is a bit confusing. It made me stumble for a moment, thinking you were talking of jewels. You don't want to slow down a reader with awkward phrases like that.
I like that you lead the reader to think the prince is going to go have his way with some women, but instead find that his intentions are pure.
I am a writing teacher, so forgive me for being picky. I really enjoy your story, or I wouldn't still be here! :) If you want me to be more picky, I can point out all misspellings and incomplete sentences I find.

Posted 11 Years Ago


Steven Cash

11 Years Ago

Yes please point em out but message me with them
I'm really enjoying where this is going. And once again, your skills with dialogue are excellent. "“I am not God,” I soothed, “So you should not bow. I am not the devil, so you should not fear my gaze. Look at me.” I Loved that line.



Posted 11 Years Ago


Steven Cash

11 Years Ago

I'm glad you liked it.

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

173 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on August 18, 2012
Last Updated on August 18, 2012


Author

Steven Cash
Steven Cash

A Secret Location, IL



About
http://www.writerscafe.org/writing/changetheworld/1061316/ That's my poem. Goodbye everyone. Don't cry because it's over... smile because it happened... more..

Writing
Miss you Miss you

A Poem by Steven Cash