Courtyard

Courtyard

A Chapter by Steven Cash

The sun cast a warm, radiant glow on the courtyard. Mixed with a gentle breeze, the afternoon was heavenly. The Royal Gala would commence at ten o’ clock, and it was just shy of two o’ clock. I had plenty of time to relax before the festivities began.

            I sat down at the edge of the fountain, watching the stone angel pour water from the imitation vase she held. I ran my hand through the cool water, thinking of little things. After a few moments, I was soon joined by Jhanili, who had news.

            “Prince Stephan, I was able to find her. You said her name was Tyrina, correct?”

            “Yes, Jhanili. You told the High Priests it was official business, correct?”

            “Yes, I did.”

            “You aren’t mad are you?”

            Jhanili shook his head. “Absolutely not. Your father had female friends when he was your age. Some of them were servants, as a matter of fact.”

            “Good, then send her out here.”

            Jhanili disappeared into the doorway, and then came back out with Tyrina at his side. She was all smiles as she looked around the courtyard, then to me. “Good day, Milord!”

            I smiled, rising to greet her. I took her hand and kissed it, then motioned for her to sit on the edge of the fountain. Jhanili nodded and left, leaving us alone.

            “So, I just had to see you again. I wanted to ask you some questions.”

            “Well, Milord�"”

            “You can call me Stefan in private.”

            She looked a bit uneasy. “Stefan, then, what questions did you have for me?”

            “First, about slavery. My father was opposed to the idea. If I had become king when he died, I would have kept the tradition, but my uncle took the throne instead�"”

            “Why?” she asked. I realized she was only two years old when it all happened.

            “Well, I was four when my father died. He died on the battlefield defending this Kingdom against the East Region Alliance. I was too young to assume the throne, and the people were ready to make Kolaria a democracy, headed by the Province Lords. But my uncle stated that he be given the throne to keep it in the family, and preserve the integrity of the kingdom. He is a fierce debater and was able to convince them that his way was best.”

            “Well, when were you supposed to become king?”

            “Thirteen, then it was changed to eighteen. I am turning seventeen within the month, so I am not that far away. Now I know it may be painful to speak of, but I do want to speak more on slavery. It was something my uncle did when Melsnar needed some protection from the pressure the East Region Alliance was giving them. Melsnarites are simple people, as you know, and they were no match for any attack. So, my uncle promised protection in exchange for slaves to work in Kolaria.”

            “I am sorry for asking all these questions,” she said, running her hand through the water. “I just was so young when all this happened. Most of my friends are my age, so all we hear is rumors.”

            “Like what rumors? Any about me?”

            “No, everyone I know thinks you are pretty nice. You are just helpless, from what I hear. I hope those aren’t just rumors.”

            “Well, yes, I am pretty helpless. My uncle listens to me most times, but I have no ruling power. What do people think about my uncle?”

            “If he were on fire and I were holding a vase of water, I would be a bit slow to pour it on him. And I think every slave feels the same.  It’s not that we are beaten or brutalized, but being a slave in the first place is a very demoralizing thing. Especially when we aren’t building anything, or paying a debt or anything.”

            “You are the first girl I have known to speak her mind so freely.”

            “You are the first person of any importance to care what I said.”

            I stood and took her by the arm. “I am hungry, and I know you must be as well. Let me serve you something."



© 2012 Steven Cash


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

137 Views
Added on August 18, 2012
Last Updated on August 18, 2012


Author

Steven Cash
Steven Cash

A Secret Location, IL



About
http://www.writerscafe.org/writing/changetheworld/1061316/ That's my poem. Goodbye everyone. Don't cry because it's over... smile because it happened... more..

Writing
Miss you Miss you

A Poem by Steven Cash