O'er A Glass Of Ale

O'er A Glass Of Ale

A Chapter by Steven Cash
"

NOTE: I will switch at times between 1st person Prince Stephan, and 3rd person for King William, who is his uncle. This is so we can get a full spectrum of what’s happening. Also, this chapter will be

"

---

            The high cedar doors to the throne room split, and out strode King William. As always, he kept his posture perfect"squared shoulders, barrel chest protruding, face stoic, bearded chin leveled. He looked straight ahead as he stepped solemnly down the corridor.

            To his left, his advisor and right hand man Veneto et Alomar, a decrepit looking man who always looked down his pointed nose at anyone and everyone, and was never without his ledger.

            “So, your highness,” Veneto continued, his oily voice filling the stone corridor, “If we are to acquire these new slaves, we must act immediately.”

            King William scarcely batted an eye, instead keeping his steady pace. Soon even the faded echoes of Veneto’s words were lost in the constant patter of footsteps by the King and his entourage.

            “I still fail to understand, Veneto,” he said after a while, only glancing his way, “Why we need more slaves than we already have. If I am not mistaken, we received twelve-hundred persons from the Kingdom of Melsnar in the last two years alone.”

            “Yes, your highness, but most of them were older slaves, already having done years of work in another kingdom.”

            King William squinted, still looking ahead. “Then if the quality of our imported slaves is diminished, why do we need to continue business with them?”

            “Your grace, Melsnar is under the leadership of a new king. This new king does not care so much as to the quality of the slaves, as much as he is with just honoring the treaty. Melsnar gives us slaves, and we in return give them protection from the Kingdoms of the East Region, and any other enemies they may encounter. Of course, this is something you are already privy to, however it goes without stating"”

            King William dismissively waved his hand, wishing an end to Veneto’s endless explanation. “As always, I leave this matter to you, Veneto. I simply ask that it be a fair exchange. We give our best to protect Melsnar; we need the best slaves they can afford in return. See to it that the new king gets the same message.”

:::

            I found myself at the Rae’s Tavern and Inn towards the edge of town just shy of nine, for that was where I was to meet Pascale. It was not much of a walk, and the weather was fair.

            The place was empty, as it always was in the morning. Pascale sat at the edge of the bar, holding a glass to his lips.

            “Hello, Prince Stephan,” the Rae the owner, and acting barkeep, greeted. He is an older gentleman, gray hair, gray moustache and a friendly smile. “Anything I can get you?”

            I shrugged my shoulders. “Half glass of honey ale. I will be having plenty of wine at the opening party tonight, so I am not eager to drink too much.”

            He pulled out a glass and opened the spigot, letting the deep auburn liquid flow. “Just a half glass?”

            I laughed. “You bloody well know I shouldn’t, but go ahead and make it a full glass.”

            Pascale still sat there, not cracking a smile or anything. “Rae, you musn’t speak a word of our conversation.”
            Rae sat my glass in front of the seat by Pascale. “Absolutely, Pascale.”

            Parsce turned to me. “We have all the arms we need for the attack tomorrow.”

            I frowned. “Wait, tomorrow? You know bloody well the attack is at the end of the week, when the festival is over.”

            “We cannot wait that long, and you know it.”

            “You can do whatever you need to do. If you attack tomorrow during the street festival, thousands of innocent lives will be lost. The lives of my citizens.”

            “You and your damned politics. What about the innocent lives of Melsnarites, put into slavery?”

            I avoided his intense gaze, instead focusing on my glass of ale. “I think you have my father and I confused with my uncle,” I said softly, taking a large swallow.

            He took me by the shoulder and spun me towards him. I could feel my shoulder throbbing under the intense grip of his sweaty hand.

            “You realize you are on Kolarian soil, and I can have you hung for assaulting me as such?”

            He scoffed, letting an evil grin touch his lips. “You wouldn’t dare. You know I have enough on you to get you exiled from this Kingdom. Not to mention this very conversation. Talking with a radical would get you in very hot water with your uncle.”

            “Um, Parsce,” Rae said, stopping his cleaning of the bar. “You should let the Prince go. He could have you executed before you even got a chance to blackmail him.”

            The burly figure before me growled, then let go of me. “Forgive me, but you know how I feel. I will move the attack to the third day of the festival, but no later.”

            I nodded. “Deal. You have all the arms and gold you need already. Are you sure no slaves will rat out on the plans?”

            He lifted his shirt slightly, showing a bone-handled dagger. “Anyone who does will have to answer to me personally.”



© 2012 Steven Cash


Author's Note

Steven Cash


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

You have a really skilled way of developing the characters throughout. Sometimes it's a deliberate description, and other times it's just a word you drop in here and there that adds great depth to the character.

This sentence didn't make sense to me: "Of course, this is something you are already privy to, however it goes without stating." If it goes without saying, then why is he saying it? I think you could leave that out of his dialogue or add it to the narrative before the king waves his hand dismissively.

“Hello, Prince Stephan,” the Rae the owner..." See the error?

Very good storyline. I continue to enjoy the dialogue.

Are Parsce, and Pascale the same person? That is a confusing nickname.

Posted 11 Years Ago


Steven Cash

11 Years Ago

yes, i was copying this from the other site I had it on and some of the changes didn't come over. ye.. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

179 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on August 18, 2012
Last Updated on August 18, 2012


Author

Steven Cash
Steven Cash

A Secret Location, IL



About
http://www.writerscafe.org/writing/changetheworld/1061316/ That's my poem. Goodbye everyone. Don't cry because it's over... smile because it happened... more..

Writing
Miss you Miss you

A Poem by Steven Cash