The Coward, The Prince, The Slave, The Plan

The Coward, The Prince, The Slave, The Plan

A Chapter by Steven Cash

The two mile walk from the Rae’s tavern at the edge of town back to the palace provided me plenty of time to think. My mind glazed over every excuse possible as to why I should call off the attack and just let things be the way they were.

            The Temple’s bell tower rang twelve times, signifying it was noon. I knew it would be time for luncheon back at the palace, but I still took my time. My uncle wouldn’t be in attendance, as usual. He would likely be in another of his endless meetings, and miss luncheon altogether.

            Either way, I was in no particular hurry to get back.

            “Prince Stefan!” I heard someone call. I looked up to see Tyrina waving. She was still seated on the steps with the other girls, and they were all talking. She broke away and came up to me.

            “I must have forgotten to tell you earlier. I am going to be dancing at the Royal Gala tonight,” she squealed. Her excitement was boiling over. “So, please keep an eye out for me.”

            “I will, Tyrina. You better get back to the stairs, the priests should be out soon.”

            She smiled and nodded, quickly going back to her place on the stairs.

            I kept walking, realizing that Tyrina was one of the biggest reasons I had to let the rebellion happen. Such a beautiful young girl who, because of her bondage, could not live the life she was supposed to live.

            Everyone should live without the fear of their master, I thought. Or, more simply, live without a master.

---

            “What took you so long, Prince Stefan?” Jhanili asked, leveling his look at me.

            I brushed past him and entered my room, heading straight for the basin to wash up, but he was only a few steps behind me.

            “I asked where you were,” he insisted. “Your uncle has been waiting for you at luncheon.”
            I splashed some water on my face. “He finally broke away from his endless meetings long enough to eat? I am impressed.”

            “That is not the issue, and you know that. I can only cover for you so long before my stories begin to loose their credibility. Now you are an hour late as is, and you better get a move on before he gets even angrier. Oh, and just so you know I told him you were taking a walk and meditating.”

            I dried off my face, adjusted my clothing in the mirror, and headed for the door. “I will speak to him myself.”

---

            I entered the dining room under the watchful glare of my uncle, King William, and sat at the empty chair at the end of the table so I could be opposite him.

            “Sorry I am late,” I muttered, keeping my eyes on the salad before me. I quickly picked up a fork and began to eat.

            “In haste, do not forget your manners. You should wait for the servant to bring you a basin of water for cleansing�"”

            “I washed upstairs in my room.”

            He paused a bit, still staring at me, I presume. I didn’t bother to make eye contact. “Manners are manners.”

            “Forgive me,” I said, placing down my fork. “Ananias, would you bring a basin for cleansing?”

            Within seconds Ananias, a wiry old man, came in with a basin of water and a white towel. I knew what the white towel meant, so I took the basin from Ananias and placed it on the seat beside me.

            “He can hold the basin, Stefan,” my uncle said.

            “He has a name,” I said back. “Ananias, please go fetch me some more olive oil for the salad. I can take care of this washing myself.”

            He nodded and went into the kitchen. I began to wash my hands and arms, to the cuff of my crimson coat of course.

            “Stefan, why do you treat the servants that way?”

            “They are slaves for one, in a system I still do not comprehend. Second, you will have to forgive me uncle for treating them like humans and remembering their names.”

            My uncle stayed silent, leaving tension hanging in the air. My distain for my uncle’s practices are no secret, but they do not often come out in the open like this.

            “Jhanili told me you were taking a walk, but we all know that does not take nearly six hours to complete. What were you really doing?”

            “Uncle, I do believe you are suspicious of me,” I patronized.

            “Rumor has it you were socializing with the maidens at the Temple.”

            “Servants and prostitutes, you mean. Really uncle, for a system you started you really ought to have a better grip of the terminology. It is a very simple thing. The fairest slave girls are given to the priests of the Temple. They are prostituted to the officials of this Kingdom, and others who may travel through and afford such a price. If I can speak of it, why can’t you?”
            He scowled at me, “I have no idea why you feel the need to patronize and insult me. I am your King�"”

            “You are my uncle; you are their King. The latter will only be temporary.  But we have drifted so far away from the original topic of Ananias, uncle.”

            “The topic was you and the servants at the Temple,” he said, pointing a finger at me. His coal gray eyes were aflame with anger.

            “I talked to a girl, uncle. It is that simple. I am sixteen, and well capable to live my own life.”

            He shook his head and rose from the table, heading my way for the door.

            “King William absent from luncheon. What a familiar thing it is.” I mused.

            Once he was out of the room, I motioned Ananias back in.

            “You had word from Parsce?” I asked.

            “How did you know?” he said with a sly smile.

            “We only use blue towels at luncheon for cleansing, but you brought a white one. That’s the code we established if you ever needed to tell me anything in secret. So what is the word?”

            “He said he was followed and he had to kill whoever it was. They were dressed royally, so he figured they might be one of King William’s men. He hid the body in a well.”

            I nodded. “Thank you Ananias. If it was one of King William’s men, that means  he is suspicious. If you can, get word to Parsce that the attack must happen at dawn tomorrow. I will do my best to cancel the street festival.”



© 2012 Steven Cash


Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

169 Views
Added on August 18, 2012
Last Updated on August 18, 2012


Author

Steven Cash
Steven Cash

A Secret Location, IL



About
http://www.writerscafe.org/writing/changetheworld/1061316/ That's my poem. Goodbye everyone. Don't cry because it's over... smile because it happened... more..

Writing
Miss you Miss you

A Poem by Steven Cash