Chapter 13

Chapter 13

A Chapter by KahYee.Chiang

CHAPTER THIRTEEN

I nearly choked on the mouthful of Ben and Jerry’s, yeah, who knew you could choke on ice-cream?

            “My ancestor?” I asked stupidly. “Yes, Marilyn Sanchez,” she replied calmly. I nodded. She stared at me and warned, “No one, can know about this. Highly confidential. You in?”

            I nodded once more. She looked pleased. “Marilyn Sanchez and Edmund Diaz were married. They only had two children. They divorced after a few years, Diaz took the first child, and Sanchez took the second. Marilyn renamed the second child from Antonio Diaz, and renamed him Antonio Sanchez. So you and Dan are fifth cousins.”

            I stared at her blankly. We can’t be...cousins! We just can’t! The light bulb in my head lit up. “Maybe Marilyn and Edmund had siblings!” I exclaimed. “Impossible. The Sanchez and Diaz bloodlines have been known to only have one child per generation,” she replied.

            “I bet there’s more than one Sanchez and Diaz bloodline! Yes! It’s such common surnames!” I exclaimed. “Yes there are more, but you and Dan are the descendants of the original Sanchez and Diaz bloodlines respectively,” she replied.

            “You can’t be serious,” I muttered. She stared blankly at me. “This is a prank!” my face lightened up. Yes! That’s what it is! A prank! “This isn’t a prank!” she retorted. “Listen to me! Don’t talk to Dan Diaz! Promise me!” She shrieked. I nodded weakly. She exhaled and went to throw her tub of Ben and Jerry’s. “It’s late, I’d better get going,” I said heading towards the door. She grabbed my wrist, “Tell anyone what I told you, we’ll never be friends ever again. You wouldn’t want that, would you?”

            I shook my head and headed back to my dorm. Her voice ringing in my head, giving me shivers. Should I tell Jess and Liz everything that happened? Or should I keep it to myself? As I was about to reach for my dorm’s doorknob, I heard Dan Diaz’s voice shouting my name from the other end of the corridor. I hurried in and locked the door.

            “What’s the hurry?” I jumped. I turned around to see Deb’s face covered in a mud mask, and then I yelled. She crossed her brows. “Do I look that bad?” she teased. “You just scared me,” I panted.

            “Sasha?” Someone knocked the door. It was Dan. Deb reached to answer it, but quickly, I slapped her wrist and mouthed, “Don’t!”

            “Trust me,” she whispered as she pushed me into her closet, which by the way is humongous. I scurried and peeped through hole. “Dan?” she answered stupidly. “Sup Deb. No time for chit chat. Where’s Sasha?” he asked surveying the room. “I don’t know,” she said pouting. “I just saw her come in!” He exclaimed. “Well, she’s not here. No one is,” she said assumingly. “No wonder you decided to wear a mud mask,” he said laughing. “Not funny Diaz, go away,” she said closing the door.

            “Wait!” he cut in, letting himself in. Oh no. “Dan Diaz, GET THE HELL OUT OF MY DORM!” she yelled. “She’s avoiding me,” he muttered. He opened the bathroom, then my closet, then the studio. “She’s not here!” she insisted. He frowned. “When she gets back, tell her to call me,” he instructed, then leaving.

            “Deb, you’re an amazing actress,” I complimented. “I know,” she said fluffing her hair in the mirror. “So why you avoiding him?” she asked. “Reasons,” I muttered. “Come on,” she whined. “My ex-boyfriend called me,” I said. That ought to put a sock in her mouth, I thought.

            I was wrong. “Ex-boyfriend? What does that have to do with Dan?” I sighed, “Nothing. I just wanted some space and time to think.” “Are you planning to get back together with your ex?”

            “No, Deb.”

            “How about with Dan?”

            “No, Deb.”

            She pouted and said, “You’re no fun.” She flitted away.

            I tip-toed out of the dorm when I heard Deb step inside her ready drawn bath.

            I sat by the spectator’s podium by the pool as I tried digesting all the information today. What is Claris was lying? A hopeful part of me thought. What if she’s not? I shuddered at the thought. I hung my head as I started to cry. The fact I was crying over what Claris told me was physical proof that I was in love with Dan Diaz.

            The strong stench of chlorine filled my nostrils as I wiped my tears away. I sat there, wondering if my love for Dan was sister-brother love or what I thought it was; destiny. The still and calm water was relaxing. Suddenly, I saw haste movement. Someone followed me, I thought. I could feel the presence deep down in my gut. There was no point doubting my gut feel.

            “Sasha?” a voice popped behind me. Hastily, I turned my head to see who it was, my hair slightly whipping my face. It was Drew. “What are you doing here?” he asked. I buried my face in my palms. “Are you crying?”

            “No,” I sniffed. “Why are you crying?” he asked gently as his fingers lifted my face. “It’s so complicated! All of it!” I complained. “What is?”

            “Ruddy Sanchez-Diaz bloodline, that’s the problem! I’m so confused,” I whimpered. “Sanchez-Diaz? As in you and Dan? What’s wrong?” he asked looking concerned. His genuineness showed in his eyes. “I shouldn’t say. I promised I wouldn’t,” I said biting my tongue.        

            He stared at the pool, then finally saying, “Dwelling over problems will not solve it. You have to face it.” Who knew Drew was the kind of Confucius type? Hmm.

            “Just something someone told me about us being related,” I mumbled finally. “I don’t even need to ask. Claris Avila,” he hissed. I stared at him dumbfounded. “Don’t listen to any s**t that b***h says. It’s all a lie,” he assured firmly.

            Well, that’s a relief. Another debate going through my head: Why would she make something like that up? There has to be a different explanation. 



© 2011 KahYee.Chiang


Author's Note

KahYee.Chiang
A/N: Wrote half of this in my exam. ;) Comments/Reviews/Criticism/Feedback please!

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

190 Views
Added on May 23, 2011
Last Updated on May 23, 2011
Tags: teen, romance, high school


Author

KahYee.Chiang
KahYee.Chiang

Sungai Buloh, Malaysia



About
Bubbly and energetic, that's me. I love writing and expressing my inner thoughts. I blog, tweet, swim and worship music. more..

Writing