chapter 3

chapter 3

A Chapter by Noemi

chapter 3

                 The sun is a mystery. It is beautiful and soft, and at times brutal and unmerciful. The temperature steadily rises as we walk, our clothes are drenched in sweat. It’s hard to believe a week has passed since I’ve run away. I wonder if my life would have been better in my little town. After all, I would be ruling it. I could have had it all. But not anymore, it’s too late to go back now.  “Meria?” at the sound of her voice I nearly cried. It was so soft and sweet. It reminds me of mother. I wonder if she misses me. If father misses me. “Yes?” my voice cracked. “Are you mad at me?” I stand there in stunned silence. They think I’m mad at them? “No, of course not!” I say hastily, hoping she would believe me. She sits down, and I sit next to her.

        “Please don’t be mad at my brother. You don’t know what we’ve been through.” I look down at her “do you want to talk about it?” she looks away from me, and I see a tear roll down her face. “Brother loves me, more than anything in the world. He gave up everything for me. He shared his food with me, and comforted me when I had a bad dream. He had a lot of friends, he was happy, but I was an outcast. Nobody wanted to play with me. He gave up all his friends, his social life, just so I wouldn’t be alone. He was there for me, when nobody else was. My parents were so angry he gave all that up for his sister, a girl, that they beat him. But he didn’t care, he loved me too much to care. Ever since then, our parents beat us, we still have bruises. Sometimes they would give us a bloody nose, or a broken finger. Everybody knew they beat us, but they did nothing. He doesn’t trust anyone anymore.”

           I stare at the ground, twiddling my fingers. “I had no idea.” She shrugged, but I know how much it hurt her to talk about that. “But I’m lucky.’ She laughed at the look of bewilderment on my face. “I’m lucky ’cause I’m not the leader’s daughter. Her life must have been horrible, being stuck in a building all her life. Only going outside to see guys kill each other. What’s worse is that she’s forced to marry. Wow. I would hate to be her, wouldn’t you? ’course you probably know all about that, we’re from the same town, after all.” An awkward silence followed after that. “I am the leader’s daughter.” Her eyes widen. “Oh I’m so sorry! I didn’t know- I would never had said that if-” “No, it’s all good. You’re right. My life did suck.” Her face turned red as a brick “well, er, it could be worse?” it sounded like she was asking a question. “No, it couldn’t have been worse. I never met my brothers, never had one friend, saw my mother only twice, in secret.” I let out a harsh, quick laugh. “But none of that matters anymore. I ran away, I’m never going back.” “But without you, how will they pick out a leader? They’re probably sending out a search party right now! You have to go back!” I must have looked terrifying, because she quailed under my glare. “I am never setting foot in that wretched town, never.”  I feel somewhat resentful, talking to her in that tone, like she had done something wrong, treating her like a piece of dirt. Not that I mind dirt really. I’m covered in the stuff, making me feel mucky and dry.  My nose wrinkles in disgust. I have to find some water to bathe in. Soon.  It’s now been two weeks since we left and we’ve run out of food and water. I feel a tug at the hem of my shirt.

         “Meria, someone’s watching us…” I didn’t know which child was speaking, nor did I care. I kept walking and ignored the voice. I felt a tug again, harder this time. “It’s just a hallucination” I say in an exasperated voice. “No, he’s really there.” “No, I’m telling you you’re just hallucinating! It happens all the time in the desert.” I hear a whimper, god I wish I was anywhere but here. But just then I hear a cry and look over my shoulder to see the little girl in a net, being carried away by a group of burly looking men.



© 2014 Noemi


Author's Note

Noemi
Sorry for all the punctuation and mistakes. Still not too good at that.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

68 Views
Added on April 16, 2014
Last Updated on April 16, 2014


Author

Noemi
Noemi

About
I am very passionate about how I express myself, and although my writing may be dark, I have a positive outlook on life. more..

Writing
Angel's Wings Angel's Wings

A Story by Noemi


Cage of Kindness Cage of Kindness

A Story by Noemi